Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Looks like the Altitude CR70 and CR90. I already have my order in for a CR90 frame. :thumbsup:

If it weren't for the fact that we're buried in 2'+ of snow, I'd be impatient, but with the worst Vancouver winter in 40 years, the riding opportunities will be limited for quite a while anyway.

Attachments

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
Nice find! I guided those guys on part of that that trip. They are incredible riders! My Nike makes an appearance in that video (~2:26) but thats all. Cheers to those guys - and Ambrose the guy that shot that (also Back in the Saddle, etc.)!

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
AK47 said:
Cool vid!

Hey Rockyuphill... Have you ridden the new CR90 yet? If so, how does it ride compared to your ETSX?
I had a chance to ride an Altitude CR70 around through the landscaping in the parking lot at my LBS in North Van, it rides like a slightly taller ETSX, in that little bit of riding I found it really light and responsive, and the steep seat angle did make it very easy to get up out of the saddle for short steep climbs. It felt really balanced in the saddle too. It has very XC type geometry, not like the Slayer SXC at all. I figure the Altitude will either replace my Slayer SXC or ETSX, but I won't know which one until I spend more time on it. :skep:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Thanks for the info Rockyuphill. I'll have to call my LBS and see what a frame/shock only Altitude CR runs...

Any idea what the weight difference in the frame is with the carbon Altitude vs. an aluminum ETSX (I have a 2005 ETSX 50)?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
I don't have an exact number yet, but I'm thinking the Altitude CR90 carbon build will be as light or lighter than my ETSX Team, the CR90 is somewhere in the 5.5 pound range which is closer to the Element 90 frame weight. The frame has a list price a bit higher than what the ETSX Team frame was. I have most of the build kit lined up now, Chain Reaction Cycles finally has the direct mount XT front derailleurs in stock.

They had the display bikes from Interbike at my LBS in late October at the start of their cross-Canada tour and I snapped these pics of the CR90 Altitude. Daaaaaaaamn that is sexy.

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
rockyuphill said:
'nad clearance for a fairly tall bike and a shock mount?
Well the former may require a bend, but it doesn't require an ugly bend. And the latter surely doesn't require a bend of either kind.

Some of us old-timers are quite upset that such a noble name has been used in this way.

Attachments

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
When you get up close and personal to the carbon frame Altitudes there's a terrific sexy sculptural quality to them that just makes you want to run your hands over the frame (or maybe that's just me :blush: :skep: ). The weight savings should be substantial as the Large frame should be about 1/2+ pound lighter than an ETSX frame. :thumbsup:

·
rides with camera
894 Posts
rockyuphill said:
When you get up close and personal to the carbon frame Altitudes there's a terrific sexy sculptural quality to them that just makes you want to run your hands over the frame (or maybe that's just me :blush: :skep: ). :
Kinda like my mojo ;) I have to admit I was a huge RMB guy back in the day . I feel the company has changed alot since Grayson Bain left . They had something special that just isn`t there anymore ! sorry just my two cents . Sadly this is all that`s left of my "real" altitude . One day it should be rolling again :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Anthonyinhove. That sure is a great looking Altitude TO you have there.The new Altitude might be a great bike, but for old Rocky fans they picked the wrong name for the wrong type of bike. For fans of the new Altitude, in the current issue #47 of Singletack (UK) there is a cover photo of Andreas Hestler riding his Aisian built carbon fiber do-dad in Utah. www.singletrackworld.com

·
rides with camera
894 Posts
anthonyinhove said:
Is that a 1995 TO? Nothing sad about that, quite a valuable frame.

'One day' indeed! I could have that running in two hours!
Yeah it is a 95 . I bought it new and will never get rid of it ! I want to get it repainted and than possibly build it up as a singlespeed !

I don`t know why they stopped production !

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
sherijumper said:
Yeah it is a 95 . I bought it new and will never get rid of it ! I want to get it repainted and than possibly build it up as a singlespeed !

I don`t know why they stopped production !
I would imagine it had a lot to do with the falling market interest in steel frames, especially amongst racers who were after lighter weight aluminium frames. That led to fewer steel MTB tubesets being available and fewer people knowing or caring about the difference between a Tange Prestige or Reynolds tubeset. If the volume of sales only supports one model of steel frame I would guess that they had to pick one, otherwise they'd just be building one steel frame and painting it with different names on it. I'll bet that the German market pushed that choice toward the Blizzard.

Even Kona has given up on steel MTB frames and the Explosif was one of the holdouts.

·
Registered
543 Posts
rockyuphill said:
I would imagine it had a lot to do with the falling market interest in steel frames, especially amongst racers who were after lighter weight aluminium frames. That led to fewer steel MTB tubesets being available and fewer people knowing or caring about the difference between a Tange Prestige or Reynolds tubeset. If the volume of sales only supports one model of steel frame I would guess that they had to pick one, otherwise they'd just be building one steel frame and painting it with different names on it. I'll bet that the German market pushed that choice toward the Blizzard.

Even Kona has given up on steel MTB frames and the Explosif was one of the holdouts.
But wouldn't the demise of the Altitude also have a lot to do with the changes at Rocky Mountain. The Altitude was always very expensive, and my understanding is that the status of the frame had more to do with the identifiable craftsman who built them than the cost of the tubeset. I don't know whether that craftsman continued to work at RMB.

Whereas the Blizzard not only has the best name of any MTB ever, but was also more of a production bike built to a heavier weight for getting you to wherever and back. The Altitude was the weight of a race bike.

Steel lives on and it's interesting that virtually every small hand/custom-builder works in steel rather than in aluminium. Salsa, Voodoo and Jamis still have steel bikes and to my eye the beautiful skinny-tubed 2009 Brodie Catalyst in Tange Prestige looks if anything more like a classic Altitude than the 2009 Blizzard does, even though Paul Brodie may not have all that much to do with it these days.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.