Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some new water bottle cage bolts (others were lost in big pile of garage mess while cleaning cages).
My currents ones are (were) steel, and while at The Home Depot last night, I noticed some aluminum ones and some nylon ones. The aluminum ones were noticeably lighter than the steel ones next to them (duh) and only cost like 38 cents!

What size are traditional water bottle cage bolts? I think knowing this could save me hours searching for the wrong size, only to get home and find out I'm just a bit off.

Granted, I'm only saving maybe 20 grams, but if I need 'em, might as well do it right and light. Thanks.
 

·
I love Pisgah
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
4mm x 8mm me thinks, same as your rotor bolts. Cambria sells the pretty colored SRP bottle bolts. Thats what I use. I'm crazy like that. Your saving maybe 10gms total for 4 bolts.
 

·
Just passing through....
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
danK said:
I need some new water bottle cage bolts (others were lost in big pile of garage mess while cleaning cages).
My currents ones are (were) steel, and while at The Home Depot last night, I noticed some aluminum ones and some nylon ones. The aluminum ones were noticeably lighter than the steel ones next to them (duh) and only cost like 38 cents!

What size are traditional water bottle cage bolts? I think knowing this could save me hours searching for the wrong size, only to get home and find out I'm just a bit off.

Granted, I'm only saving maybe 20 grams, but if I need 'em, might as well do it right and light. Thanks.
They should be M5's. Anything around 10 mm length should work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
danK said:
I need some new water bottle cage bolts (others were lost in big pile of garage mess while cleaning cages).
My currents ones are (were) steel, and while at The Home Depot last night, I noticed some aluminum ones and some nylon ones. The aluminum ones were noticeably lighter than the steel ones next to them (duh) and only cost like 38 cents!

What size are traditional water bottle cage bolts? I think knowing this could save me hours searching for the wrong size, only to get home and find out I'm just a bit off.

Granted, I'm only saving maybe 20 grams, but if I need 'em, might as well do it right and light. Thanks.
Yeah its m5x10mm and dont use nylon if you actually plan to hold a cage on there. Nylon is only to plug holes. You can go to racebolts.com and get the right sized Aluminum bolts for like a dollar each. SRP has nice stuff, but overpriced.

jeremyb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jeremyb said:
Yeah its m5x10mm and dont use nylon if you actually plan to hold a cage on there. Nylon is only to plug holes. You can go to racebolts.com and get the right sized Aluminum bolts for like a dollar each. SRP has nice stuff, but overpriced.

jeremyb
Thanks to all. M5x10, gotcha. There is a fastener warehouse in town, so hopefully I can snag some for less than 40 cents each.
 

·
Just passing through....
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
jeremyb said:
Yeah its m5x10mm and dont use nylon if you actually plan to hold a cage on there. Nylon is only to plug holes. You can go to racebolts.com and get the right sized Aluminum bolts for like a dollar each. SRP has nice stuff, but overpriced.

jeremyb
SRP's stuff is not that overpriced, they just gouge you on the shipping to the point of being almost criminal. They charged me $13.25 to ship a few small Al bolts (via UPS ground)without me knowing. Then they wouldn't return my calls or e-mails. I'll never buy from them again.

BTW: Redmist is the cheapest sorce of Al bolts I've found, and have good service.
www.titaniumfasteners.com
 

·
ballbuster
Joined
·
12,718 Posts
Home Depot sells alu bolts?

danK said:
I need some new water bottle cage bolts (others were lost in big pile of garage mess while cleaning cages).
My currents ones are (were) steel, and while at The Home Depot last night, I noticed some aluminum ones and some nylon ones. The aluminum ones were noticeably lighter than the steel ones next to them (duh) and only cost like 38 cents!

What size are traditional water bottle cage bolts? I think knowing this could save me hours searching for the wrong size, only to get home and find out I'm just a bit off.

Granted, I'm only saving maybe 20 grams, but if I need 'em, might as well do it right and light. Thanks.
Dang, I swore I would never step into that hellhole again, but I may have to check that out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pimpbot said:
Dang, I swore I would never step into that hellhole again, but I may have to check that out.
Yep. There were at least 25 drawers of steel and anodized steel, and 2 drawers of aluminum bolts, one of which was metric.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top