Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Maxxis,

You've priced yourselves out of the market. Your tires are not good enough or long lasting enough to justify almost $80 a pop. I picked up a Maxxis Desert IT 120/100-18 6ply motorcycle tire for less than these mountain bike tires. You don't support racers hardly at all anymore, and your prices have gone through the roof. Over you guys and your overpriced, undersized, 1-weekend $7 Cheng-Shin tires.

Love,

ME

So now that we've gotten that out of the way, we're looking for alternatives to HighRollers and DHF's that don't suck. That means, decent wear, aggressive stiff sideknobs and braking knobs, good channeling, and sturdy casing.

The 3 I've been looking at mostly have been the Kenda Telonix in the 2.4 and 2.6 sizes, the Specialized Clutch in the 2.5, and the Intense 909 in whatever their strongest casing is.

Kenda: Tread pattern looks nice, kinda like a HighRoller with a 3rd boob. Kenda casings have notoriously been crappy. Have they gotten better or is this tire any different than the Nevegal casings? Tried Nevegals and Blue Grooves in the past and those were scary...

Specialized: Casings were alright on the Chunders I used to run. Nothing spectacular but they didn't suck. Look a lot like a Minion but with no siping through the sideknobs that might make them squirm. If it cornered like something between the Minion and the Chunder it'd be great (Minions would squirm, Chunders would stand up).

Intense 909: Would work great for one of the areas I ride in since I loved the Michi 2.8 for that sort of stuff, but from inspecting what I think was their "dh" tire, it appeared to have the same consistency as a busted condom with a hard strip down the middle under the tread. Wasn't thrilled about it.

Input or other suggestions??

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know a lot of people dont like em besuase of weight but I have had the best luck
with Intense tires and they have similar pattern as Maxxis but wear longer .:thumbsup:

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See I don't think Intense makes a true DH casing anymore though. The recent ones I've seen have had the paper-thin sidewalls and some thicker stuff under the tread.

$45/tire is ballpark what cost is on the tires. That is atrocious for the amount of life you get out of them. That money would be equally as well spent wiping my ass.

SMT, why Kendas?

·
Registered
783 Posts
highrollers are on jenson for $42
also, ive seen wtb dissent at my lbs on sale for $40

·
Petty and weak
742 Posts
pancho4 said:
specialized clutch, conti kaiser, schalbe muddy mary are all good alternatives to the minion.

nevegal is the suck
Schwalbe is the suck second only to Kenda. Next comes Continental, but the Clutch is getting OK reviews, once you trim certain knobs off it. Really there are no strict alternatives to a DHF, rather substitutes with pros and cons. I've tried all those damn bastard tyres in order to liberate myself from the Maxxis DHF Fanboy Bandwagon, only to fail and fall back onto said bandwagon. Of course the final choice does come down to riding style and terrain, but for what I ride the choice is limited.

(DISCLAIMER: the above is personal preference and not intended to be taken seriously at all because this is a "what tyre" thread, after all).

·
Registered
646 Posts
and intense tires are 20 to 16 right now on jenson. i love mine and my singleplys are holding up quite well at northstar and i am 215 in full gear the 2 ply versions my friend had had pretty stiff sidewalls

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
I was gona say CRC too, single plys about $30 CAD, dual ply about $45, UST's about $55 and the 3C are like 70bux or something... spend enough and shipping is free, and I've never been charged tax either...

Thats less than half what I would pay buying local... :madman:

Hard to support the LBS with that kind or price discrepancy...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Schwalbe Muddy Mary SS GG, found it better than DHF and HR for the terrain I ride here in the UK. 2.35 is about the size of a 2.5 Maxxis, and that's what I've gone for. Tried a big 2.5, and it is big...is similar to 2.7 Maxxis for big, rocky terrain. The MM is a very good tire, but there are some reports of loose beads, so see if you can get your hands on fresh stock. Don't know what the pricing is in the US...

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Maybe check out some of the new stuff from Geax? They have one tire that looks an awful lot like a HighRoller. I tried the Neuron and wasn't digging that tread pattern for where I ride but the sidewalls are massive and the rubber held up fine for the small amount of riding I did with them.My LBS is carrying them for the same reason you're looking at alternatives btw...Maxxis have gotten a bit too pricey even at cost.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I stocked up on intense with the prices at jenson... dh front and 909 rear is a great colorado combo. (rocky, dry, mostly loose) i don't know what people are talking about with weak sidewalls... I've had more problems with the Maxxis 2plys than these tires, and the rubber lasts a lot longer. I swear a month on the maxxis 42 duro (or whatever "super tacky" is) and the tires are half shredded. Also, know that the intense tires are huge! their 2.5's are bigger than the maxxis 2.7, and likewise their 2.35 (what i run in the back) is almost as big as the maxxis 2.7.

btw i ran dhf front/high roller rear for a couple years till i got sick of two sets a year at too much money. dh/909 runs pretty similar with a grippier front end in corners, faster rolling overall, but not quite as sticky in rock gardens.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Pslide said:
Schwalbe Muddy Mary SS GG, found it better than DHF and HR for the terrain I ride here in the UK. 2.35 is about the size of a 2.5 Maxxis, and that's what I've gone for. Tried a big 2.5, and it is big...is similar to 2.7 Maxxis for big, rocky terrain. The MM is a very good tire, but there are some reports of loose beads, so see if you can get your hands on fresh stock. Don't know what the pricing is in the US...
They're certainly not cheap, but entirely worth the price IMO. Gooey Gluey compound is pretty darn sticky and the snakeskin sidewalls rule.

btw, I've got a 2.5 and 2.35 Minion that I don't need, anyone care to make an offer???

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,453 Posts
I agree the Maxxis stuff doesn't last long enough and costs a lot, I switched to 60a for the rear tire which helps.

The Schwalbe gooey gluey Big Bettys I tried didn't last and the sideknobs peeled off.

IF you can get a deal on Conti Rubber Queen 2.4s, they are great tires. They are light for dh tires and have a folding bead but I've found the sidewalls to be very durable. The performace is great, better that DHFs in some terrain (and I've tried them back-to-back w/DHF 3Cs, and my friend also agreed the RQs were the better tire). The rubber is close to as sticky as Maxxis ST, but they last 10x as long as a Maxxis tire, they even last much longer than the 60a tires.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts