Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone finds that they go through Elixir pads faster than other brake pads you've used. Mine now last less than two months in dry weather. And yes, I am using the semi metallic ones.

These brakes perform quite well, but the short pad life is a drag (pun intended). Of course, I am riding a larger bike now (my first 29" FS bike), but it is no heavier than other rigs I've had. I have not gained weight (honest :)

Thinking about trying another brand/model pads. Any suggestions?

G

·
My LBS has been trying to get me to use the Swiss Stop pads for a while now. They claim they have had very good results, especially with people having noise issues.

I, however, cannot comment on the life expectancy against Elixir pads.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,264 Posts
I had very good luck with the Elixir sintered pads (I never had noise issues) they lasted ~1 year and weren't new when I got them. Tried organics and wasted them in ~3 months. Went back to sintered Avid's and so far they are holding up like the 1st set. Kool Stop's are supposed to be good according to some of my cronies... I haven't tried them myself. http://www.amazon.com/Avid-Elixir-Brake-Sintered-KS-D296S/dp/B0040DPG9I

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,264 Posts
I'm using Avid cleansweep g2's. No break-in ritual (beyond expanding the pistons all the way flush with the caliper, installing the new pads and cleaning the rotors with brakekleen). I just installed sintered rears the other day. 1st few miles the new brakes are not super responsive after some light/moderate braking they were good to go.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Just tossing this out there:

Kool-Stop Red's. I got them on my Elixir 5's, and they stop harder now and don't squeal. I love it.

For $20, they're a bargain IMO. I highly recommend them.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Elixir Pad comparo

I run Elixir CR (8" front, 7" rear rotors) on my AM bike with good results using the Brake Authority "Aggressive" compound pads. Good bite, good modulation with very little fade. I've ridden them at Downieville, Northstar and my local trails.

I also rode the Kool-Stop pads for a long time and liked them better than Avid stock sintered or organic but this compound Braek Authority may have a bit more bite and little less fade.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I run Elixir CR (8" front, 7" rear rotors) on my AM bike with good results using the Brake Authority "Aggressive" compound pads. Good bite, good modulation with very little fade. I've ridden them at Downieville, Northstar and my local trails.

I also rode the Kool-Stop pads for a long time and liked them better than Avid stock sintered or organic but this compound Braek Authority may have a bit more bite and little less fade.
Been wondering about the Brake Authority pads. Did you pick them up through their website or another source you might share and what's the pricing like?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Curious if anyone finds that they go through Elixir pads faster than other brake pads you've used. Mine now last less than two months in dry weather. And yes, I am using the semi metallic ones.

These brakes perform quite well, but the short pad life is a drag (pun intended). Of course, I am riding a larger bike now (my first 29" FS bike), but it is no heavier than other rigs I've had. I have not gained weight (honest :)

Thinking about trying another brand/model pads. Any suggestions?
Yep--mine generally lasted about the same--make sure they are in fact the metallic ones--my LBS swore they installed the metallics (sintered) and they were mistaken. Having said all that, about 2 months was my avg for the sintered. It prolly doesnt help that I weigh 225, and use the brakes hard on a 1,700 decent on a daily basis. I replaced the front brake with the M785 2012 XTs--so far it appears the pads are lasting longer--I believe they are larger.

My elixxers only actuated one piston well--I am guessing that wears pads quicker

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.