Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I primarily ride Hawes during the week and McDowell on the weekends. I do well at the techy climbing stuff but bonk occasionally on the long xc trails. I want to get into better shape and focus more on the xc trails. Now that I am starting to night ride I wanted to get some recommendations of Pemberton-type trails that I can ride after sunset. I live in the east valley but will travel for rides.
 

·
6'4"-6'9" with the afro
Joined
·
194 Posts
harcuvar said:
I primarily ride Hawes during the week and McDowell on the weekends. I do well at the techy climbing stuff but bonk occasionally on the long xc trails. I want to get into better shape and focus more on the xc trails. Now that I am starting to night ride I wanted to get some recommendations of Pemberton-type trails that I can ride after sunset. I live in the east valley but will travel for rides.
Hawes is a great night ride, although I would suggest parking at the Wal Greens parking lot rather than the gravel lot by the trailhead for night rides. There is a trail that parallels Power on the north side of the street, so you do not have to ride on Power at night. It would be nice to see some other folks out there at night -- I've yet to run into any other night riders.

SoMo is another good alternative although "technically" the park closes after dark. On that note, however, I have ridden by a cop on 2 different occassions w/ my light on and even said "hello" w/ no response other than a "hello" back. As long as you have a decent light, I've never found riding a trail more difficult at night (have done National several times at night). At the same time, I would never ride a trail for the 1st time at night unless it is really tame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fletch F. Fletch said:
Hawes is a great night ride, although I would suggest parking at the Wal Greens parking lot rather than the gravel lot by the trailhead for night rides. There is a trail that parallels Power on the north side of the street, so you do not have to ride on Power at night. It would be nice to see some other folks out there at night -- I've yet to run into any other night riders.

SoMo is another good alternative although "technically" the park closes after dark. On that note, however, I have ridden by a cop on 2 different occassions w/ my light on and even said "hello" w/ no response other than a "hello" back. As long as you have a decent light, I've never found riding a trail more difficult at night (have done National several times at night). At the same time, I would never ride a trail for the 1st time at night unless it is really tame.
I have been doing the Walgreens parking and the parallel trail thing ever since they took out my favorite part of TRW for a defrag zone. I am out there a couple times a week, usually at sunset just until after dark. Have you ever experienced the Mesa Police Department doing the helicopter to mercenary drop-offs? Scared the $hit out of me. I was riding around a ridge and then, BAM a helicopter lands on the trail and drops off a bunch of SWAT guys. Then, they found it fun to laser target me as I rode out of the trail, but it was all in good fun, right?

I have done Hawes so many times; I was just hoping to find some new trails to ride. Hawes is very convenient so I always end up there.
 

·
I am Walt
Joined
·
6,393 Posts
harcuvar said:
I primarily ride Hawes during the week and McDowell on the weekends. I do well at the techy climbing stuff but bonk occasionally on the long xc trails. I want to get into better shape and focus more on the xc trails. Now that I am starting to night ride I wanted to get some recommendations of Pemberton-type trails that I can ride after sunset. I live in the east valley but will travel for rides.
Lost Dog Wash/Sunrise Trail area in the McDowell's between McDowell Mtn. Ranch to the W/NW and 124th St./128th St. dead-ends north of Via Linda.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
waltaz said:
Lost Dog Wash/Sunrise Trail area in the McDowell's between McDowell Mtn. Ranch to the W/NW and 124th St./128th St. dead-ends north of Via Linda.
I don't know that area of town very well, how do I get there from the 101 loop heading north?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
harcuvar said:
I primarily ride Hawes during the week and McDowell on the weekends. I do well at the techy climbing stuff but bonk occasionally on the long xc trails. I want to get into better shape and focus more on the xc trails. Now that I am starting to night ride I wanted to get some recommendations of Pemberton-type trails that I can ride after sunset. I live in the east valley but will travel for rides.
Desert Classic is probably Pemberton like. It's pretty flat, long, and non-techy. But if you really want to get in better shape, road ride. No better way to get into biking shape than doing a couple hours on the road.
 

·
I am Walt
Joined
·
6,393 Posts
harcuvar said:
I don't know that area of town very well, how do I get there from the 101 loop heading north?
101 north to Shea, Shea east to 124th, 124th north to Via Linda, Via Linda east to 128th, 128th north to dead-end, parking on left. Look for the trail entrance going off to the left (west) of the dirt parking area, then take in going north (up). You'll come to a junction where you can go straight (Ringtail, will take you to the Lost Dog Wash area, various trails to explore) or right (Sunrise Trail, long epic climb, come back down the same way or continue on and down the other side, which will put you at 144th St. and Via Linda, then come back along Via Linda).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
harcuvar said:
Which sections would those be? Is that place okay to ride alone at night?
For the most part, the actual Trail 100 between Dreamy Draw park and Tatum is relatively flat and non-technical (this is the trail that runs between the two peaks). T100 is a very popular area for night riding, so yes it's okay to ride at night alone (just don't go through the wash alone; there are some undesirables). And in fact, you're likely to run into other rides no matter what time you ride.
 

·
Flight Junkie
Joined
·
832 Posts
Please post your rides

Post here on the forum when you go night riding (times, location). Sometimes I'm looking for people to night ride with, and I'm sure others will be too (now that it's getting warm)

harcuvar said:
Which sections would those be? Is that place okay to ride alone at night?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
harcuvar said:
Which sections would those be? Is that place okay to ride alone at night?
What skinny-tire said, even though he is a heretic!

If you ride the east end of T100(Tatum to Dreamy Draw)you can also try some of the social trails in the area, for a little bit more distance and variety. I know of a couple trails that go around a small mountain that are fun. I think there are tuesday and wednesday night rides starting at Dreamy Draw. If you prefer solo rides I think you will be alright alone.

Rita
 

·
It rains here. :(
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
The T-100 lurkers

AZtortoise said:
If you prefer solo rides I think you will be alright alone.
Hmm...riding at night alone from Dreamy Draw....He might not be ok alone if he runs into the hikers I have.

The last 3 times I was at Dreamy Draw on weekends during the daytime, I encountered some odd folk.

The first time it was a shirtless guy wondering around alone at the end of the tunnel that is in a wash just south of 51. No telling what this guy was up to. He wasn't really going anywhere and seemed to be waiting on someone. I said nothing and kept moving.

The second time it was the same area, and I ran into two guys at the entrance of the tunnel. I shot them a "How's things going?".........silence for 3 seconds. So I replied with "That good eh?". They then began looking at one another, and one started mumbling to himself.

The third time was on top of the peak north of T100 where it reaches the top of the saddle. Ran into another loner, and again said "Hello, how's it going?" he replied with an ugly sneer and started looking through his fanny pack. I didn't stick around after that.

Am I the only one that's run into these types?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
I haven't yet run into anyone at night on T100 but every time I go under the tunnels (under 51) or the Cave Creek Rd tunnel, I always think I'm going to. Hope no-one has had bad experiences on this run. I LOVE T100 at night. Those areas look like places where lurkers would be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Umbrous said:
Hmm...riding at night alone from Dreamy Draw....He might not be ok alone if he runs into the hikers I have.

The last 3 times I was at Dreamy Draw on weekends during the daytime, I encountered some odd folk.

The first time it was a shirtless guy wondering around alone at the end of the tunnel that is in a wash just south of 51. No telling what this guy was up to. He wasn't really going anywhere and seemed to be waiting on someone. I said nothing and kept moving.

The second time it was the same area, and I ran into two guys at the entrance of the tunnel. I shot them a "How's things going?".........silence for 3 seconds. So I replied with "That good eh?". They then began looking at one another, and one started mumbling to himself.

The third time was on top of the peak north of T100 where it reaches the top of the saddle. Ran into another loner, and again said "Hello, how's it going?" he replied with an ugly sneer and started looking through his fanny pack. I didn't stick around after that.

Am I the only one that's run into these types?
The guys here have mentioned 'sodomy gulch' in the Dreamy Draw area. I guess the h0m0s back their cars in to park...

Rita :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
AZtortoise said:
Nah, just trying to have fun. :D You said road biking was the way to get fit and this is a MTB forum....if I have to explain...nevermind.

I really thought the 'king' of sarcasm would get it, though. :confused:

Rita
Come on, I can dish out the sarcasm, but I can't be the recepient :). No worries...just wanted to make sure I didn't open my big mouth when I shouldn't have. I had a feeling you were kidding...but was not positive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
Umbrous said:
Hmm...riding at night alone from Dreamy Draw....He might not be ok alone if he runs into the hikers I have.

The last 3 times I was at Dreamy Draw on weekends during the daytime, I encountered some odd folk.

The first time it was a shirtless guy wondering around alone at the end of the tunnel that is in a wash just south of 51. No telling what this guy was up to. He wasn't really going anywhere and seemed to be waiting on someone. I said nothing and kept moving.

The second time it was the same area, and I ran into two guys at the entrance of the tunnel. I shot them a "How's things going?".........silence for 3 seconds. So I replied with "That good eh?". They then began looking at one another, and one started mumbling to himself.

The third time was on top of the peak north of T100 where it reaches the top of the saddle. Ran into another loner, and again said "Hello, how's it going?" he replied with an ugly sneer and started looking through his fanny pack. I didn't stick around after that.

Am I the only one that's run into these types?
We ran into a couple grumpy hikers ourselves last night. Must be the allergy thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
skinny-tire said:
Come on, I can dish out the sarcasm, but I can't be the recepient :). No worries...just wanted to make sure I didn't open my big mouth when I shouldn't have. I had a feeling you were kidding...but was not positive.
Ha! :D If I was pissed you would KNOW! Just messing with your mind is all. Anyway, I don't have a road bike but I do ride road on my hardtail, I guess that makes me a lame heretic. I mean, I can't go 'all the way.' :eek:

Rita
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top