Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything that works better than zip ties for attaching brake cables to the guides?
They work fine and all, I just don't really like the look of the big end (that the tie goes through) on the top tube of my jabber build up....

I know, I'm being really anal, but with a screwed up arm, I can't ride so I have lots of time to stare at my current build and think about these things...

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I just position the zip ties so that the ugly end is on the less visible side.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I too went back to zip ties after seeing my mechanical brake line move within the guide. Maybe it's my head, but my brakes feel better and I see no movement in the lines what so ever. I use a serrated utility knife blade and I get clean cuts. Here's what i'm talking about:

·
Registered
289 Posts
perttime said:
Oh, I think a wire cutter makes a clean enough cut
The difference between a regular wire cutter and what I use is that mine leaves a flat cut, and the regular one doesn't.
Look at this:

With bevel (standard)
Cutting edges with a bevel are suitable for all wire classes, depending on the nipper design and capacity.

With small bevel (semi flush)
Cutting edges with a small bevel are suitable for all wire classes apart from piano wire, depending on the nipper design.

<--This is what I use
Without bevel (full flush)
Cutting edges without a bevel are only suitable for soft materials, i.e. lead and plastics.

Source: https://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=45

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.