Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Congratulations, Kyle, you have invented the belt. I'll be following you on the bumpy bits to collect everything that falls out :)

Kidding aside, what keeps everything from popping loose? The friction from the tube?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, the tube helps quite a bit with keeping everything in place, and the simple physics of a cinch strap. it works really well. i've been using it for about two months, did a few races with it, one was a 100 miler and everything stayed in place. it didn't slip on the seatpost at all durring any of my rides or races.

·
Registered
699 Posts
kylerodland said:
yeah, the tube helps quite a bit with keeping everything in place, and the simple physics of a cinch strap. it works really well. i've been using it for about two months, did a few races with it, one was a 100 miler and everything stayed in place. it didn't slip on the seatpost at all durring any of my rides or races.
The one problem is that you might find it difficult to compete with under saddle 'speed bags'. I have several, and I don't think I've ever paid $7.99 for one because they go on sale. It's hard to compete with Chinese labor costs.

I think you'll need to find a niche- market it to guys to cool for a 'prissy' road bike seat bag, or find some other angle, unless you want to start selling them for two bucks (retail) and see if Performance will pick up the line.

·
Birdman aka JMJ
1,081 Posts
Have to say the same - seat bags are cheap and they keep mud off your gear. REI sells a similar strap for $2. I suppose you could throw everything in a freezer bag and then lash that to your seatpost.

So, you did a 100 miler without a hydration pack? WOW!

JMJ

·
Klein sits on shelf now..
173 Posts
Car keys??? He rides to the trailhead!

The simple strap is cool. For me it brings out my inner minimalist. Two levers? Nope...I think I only need one...Spare cleat? Not with this thing. As a die-hard camelbak user for many many years (and yes I carry a spare cleat with me) it's refreshing to just have the essentials and water on the bike. Would I go epic with just a simple strap? Probably not, but my 2 MTB's, Road bike and commuter will be getting strapped ASAP.

Rock on Kyle!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I see guys at races all the time with setups like that, only they are using about 3 cents worth of tape to hold it on to the seat post.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've seen guys at races, on the side of the trail, trying to get the tube free from the 5 wraps of electrical tape on the seatpost. some use their teeth. i know a guy who gave it up and rode in the flat tire. 3 cents of tape could add up to $100 for a new rim, in some cases.

the Simple Strap isn't disposable, and is not likely to be discarded as trash, on the trail. electrical tape is more likely to be tossed to the side and forgotten about.

and the Strap doesn't leave sticky, dirty residue on your seatpost.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the heads up. everything looks fine when i go to the site but, i'll look into it with for detail.
thanks again.

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
I actually have one of Kyle's straps, and use it to hold my battery. I didn't pay full pop for it, but I will say that it works better than the generic hook-and-loop strap that it replaced.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts