Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was kinda interested in a clipless/platform combo pedal. The Mallet seems interesting, but there seems to be some hit and miss reviews here. Are there any other pedals I might also consider?

Thanks!
Aaron

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,625 Posts
I like the shimano 545s better, I broke a few mallet bodys and axles, and the 545s can take more abuse IMO. I also like the entry better, my foot sometimes rolled off the mallets. The mallets can also release you if you bash the bottom of the mechanism on a rock. The 545s have adjustable tension as well, you're stuck with whatever the mallets have, there is no adjustability. I also really like the fact that the 545s are much more consistant about releasing when you turn your heel inward toward the bike. This is a somewhat rare situation for me, but nearly every time it happened with the mallets I couldn't release, and the shimanos will release in this way just fine. This may be due to greater float in both cleat-modes (you can switch the cleats around to give more or less) with the mallets.

Also, don't think that because you're getting a kind of pedal like this that it will be easy to just go out and ride with regular shoes, the mechanism in the pedal always protrudes up and makes it very difficult, so it's not like resting on a flat pedal when you're not using the mechanism. When clipped in though you get a much more stable pedal with better security due to the big platform. Nasty rocky sections are exactly where I want to be clipped in, for the stability.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
amheck said:
Hey guys,

I was kinda interested in a clipless/platform combo pedal. The Mallet seems interesting, but there seems to be some hit and miss reviews here. Are there any other pedals I might also consider?

Thanks!
Aaron
It depends on how much platform you want. Time Zs are large, seem sturdy, and generally get good marks. I think Shimano might make something similar, but I'm not sure (EDIT: per above, they apparently make the 545). Time ATACs, CB Candys and SPDs all provide a little something to stand on if you miss your clip-in, but they're not really intended to pull double duty as actual platforms.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jayem said:
Also, don't think that because you're getting a kind of pedal like this that it will be easy to just go out and ride with regular shoes, the mechanism in the pedal always protrudes up and makes it very difficult, so it's not like resting on a flat pedal when you're not using the mechanism.
Thanks for mentioning this. I had seen this int he pics - the eggbeater seems to stick up. But I had never seen anyone mention this problem. So I thought the pics were deceiving.

I'll have a look at the Shimano's and some of the others. I'm just getting back into riding, so I'm real new at this. It's kinda hard to know exactly what you will want before really having some experience. I'm trying to keep from buying twice. I've heard a lot of good things about the eggbeaters, hence the reason I was looking at the Mallet.

Aaron

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
reading up on the Quicksteps. It seems they don't have any "float". What exactly does that mean?

I also came across the Time Z and the Shimano 646's. All look pretty nice. Got some more reading to do.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I did see that in my search. So maybe I just need help with a definition. Does the float refer to the ammount of wiggle/movement your foot is capable of while clipped in?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,625 Posts
Drewdane said:
I think Shimano might make something similar, but I'm not sure (EDIT: per above, they apparently make the 5450.
They also make the 647, and you might be able to find 646s on closeout.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,625 Posts
oldskoolbiker said:
On normal clipless pedals (including all other platform clipless), your foot only touches the pedal where the cleat engages. .
That's not true, the fact is that that every other clipless pedal simply doesn't have the pedal recessed so far and spikes sticking up that immobilize your foot and make float impossible. On other platform clipless pedals my shoe does in fact rest on the pedal. Theoretically with a super-stiff sole, shimmed cleat, and the right height of tread, it may not touch , but that would be very rare.

·
Ride on
639 Posts
545 is OK

The 545 is OK, but the platform is kinda slippery and the clip mechanism performs poorly in muddy conditions. I have a friend that rides the 646, which has a beefier looking platform. If I was going to get a Shimano pedal I would opt for the 647, which has a more open clip mechanism (like the 959, 540, 520, etc). And the resin cage looks grippier than the metal one on the 545. That is, if I didn't already have a pair of Mallets that rule :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I've got a pair of Time Z's on my single speed and love them. Not too big, not too small. Love the clip in/out and they have been bulletproof, as have the Time Atacs on my XC bike and the Time Impacts on my road bikes. As you can see, I like Time pedals. What's not to like? Pedals that work well in all conditions, durable, essentially maintenance free and last forever. Reasonable price, too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.