Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
not been on for a while been busy out on the bike ! :)..

anyway i'm after a little more light for the XC trails, i have a home brew setup on the bars kindly provided by Troutie and smudge

what i'm looking at now is for the technical trails a headmount setup so when you turn corners you can just look and "let there be light" lol..

so far i've seen this which looks a fair price "http://www.ayuplights.co.uk/content/view/41/109/"

currently on promotion at £134 for dual cree q5 with six hour battery, charger and mounts.

do you know of anything home brew which would come in at this price or around it of better spec ?

look forward to hopefully looking at alternative options...

·
aka RossC
936 Posts
LED Torches will be cheaper and give similar light output although don't have external batteries so will be heavier on your head than ayups (although have the advantage of being self contained). There are a couple of interesting torch threads on here with some impressive beam shots. Have a quick browse through them and see if they appeal at all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think i'd prefer a setup like the ayup, as i have really loved the troutie light that i have, it's just with it being on the bars i can't see other than where the bars are pointing, and when i do some technical night xc riding i need to be able to look at what's comming up around the bend..
so really would prefer buying from a diy'er as it keeps the new idea's comming and i love the different makes and models.

i would do this if i had the time but with two kids full time job and trying to get out cycling i don' t have much free time ti sit down and build (and it's too cold to go out in my garage and in the house the kid's would mess up my building if left and done in small stages).

i'm sure somthing will turn up, failing that i'll go down the shop route and get the ayup's as last resort.

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
Take a look at the Amoeba. It's built by one of the mtbr.com members...he usually has a classified ad but I don't see it at the moment. Do a search of this forum and I'm sure you'll find it. It's a dual-led helmet light, ~400 - 500 lumen, lightweight, and tiny. Similar in price, I think, to the Ayup you mentioned.

JZ

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
JimZinVT said:
Take a look at the Amoeba. It's built by one of the mtbr.com members...he usually has a classified ad but I don't see it at the moment. Do a search of this forum and I'm sure you'll find it. It's a dual-led helmet light, ~400 - 500 lumen, lightweight, and tiny. Similar in price, I think, to the Ayup you mentioned.

JZ
Scar is away for a few weeks, and he said he'll post a new classified ad when he returns. I'm about to buy my 2nd Amoeba.

Check out this thread here for more info on Amoebas:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=403337

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i might look into the scar light option..

it's just there seems to be sooo many options of lights lately with the new MC-E tech inside...

i can spend a lot of time just looking at everyone's idea's and thinking that's good, oh that's great and so on,.. he he..

is there any pictures of beam shots from scar's lights ?, i guess from reading a few post's that a lot of people now have these for light's so i would expect there are some pics somewhere...

·
Spanish biker
732 Posts
mr-dither said:
i might look into the scar light option..

it's just there seems to be sooo many options of lights lately with the new MC-E tech inside...

i can spend a lot of time just looking at everyone's idea's and thinking that's good, oh that's great and so on,.. he he..

is there any pictures of beam shots from scar's lights ?, i guess from reading a few post's that a lot of people now have these for light's so i would expect there are some pics somewhere...
Here beamshots of Amoeba and another lights for comparison.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Y M M V

mr-dither said:
Hi all,
anyway i'm after a little more light for the XC trails, i have a home brew setup on the bars kindly provided by Troutie and smudge

what i'm looking at now is for the technical trails a headmount setup so when you turn corners you can just look and "let there be light" lol..
I'm pretty sure troutie could make/sell you a headlamp that's a bit better than the Ayup if you ask.

That way you'd have a matching setup.

·
My Dog eats poo
124 Posts
Go the Ay-up's. I run them on my helmet and for the money I don't think you can get anywhere near them bang for buck. I also run a Lupine Betty on my bars and when I switch the betty off it hardly makes a difference on single track. Plus they are crazy light weight and the battery seems to last forever, easily 4 hours plus.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
msxtr said:
Here beamshots of Amoeba and another lights for comparison.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
Thanks, that gives me an idea for spot or wide beam, i think the wide beam looks better for my poor eyes than the spot (personal choice)..

notaknob said:
I'm pretty sure troutie could make/sell you a headlamp that's a bit better than the Ayup if you ask.

notaknob
Yes i've sent Troutie a pm to see if he can design make somthing up, has somthing which may suit etc, but i know he is busy lately on the mc-e building..

fezi said:
Go the Ay-up's. I run them on my helmet and for the money I don't think you can get anywhere near them bang for buck. I also run a Lupine Betty on my bars and when I switch the betty off it hardly makes a difference on single track. Plus they are crazy light weight and the battery seems to last forever, easily 4 hours plus.
fezi
yes well if nothing pop's up then this would be my shop light route first choice.
But i do have to disagree that a lot of diy lights are way above the shop lights of spec for the money..

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
notaknob said:

Thanks Bruce good suggestion

Mr Dither
:devil:you could be the first to have a 6 XPE / maxflex mighty small nearly 1000 lms helmet light

I just need to design and build it

Troutie

·
Registered
594 Posts
Helmet light...

Are you looking for something to augment a bar light or are you looking for it to be your primary light. I run an Amoeba flood, and a Jetbeam pro ST on my helmet. The nice thing about the flashlight approach for your helmet is no wires. A little velcro and couple zip ties to mount it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
troutie-mtb said:
Thanks Bruce good suggestion

Mr Dither
:devil:you could be the first to have a 6 XPE / maxflex mighty small nearly 1000 lms helmet light

I just need to design and build it

Troutie
I took a look at your thread with the xpe, and loved it !!!!!!!..., just two things really is what's the heat build up like as that light looks really tiny yet bright so the heat's gotta go somewhere..., anyway interested buddy let's talk on email / pm etc... i'd need smudge to make me up a compact pack to compliment the light if all works out...

what is the lumen / ma ratings for the setup ?

rideandshoot said:
Are you looking for something to augment a bar light or are you looking for it to be your primary light. I run an Amoeba flood, and a Jetbeam pro ST on my helmet. The nice thing about the flashlight approach for your helmet is no wires. A little velcro and couple zip ties to mount it.
rideandshoot
well initally to run the headmount light solo, but ultimatley to run as complement to bar mount light.. all depends which bike i go out on as i have two bikes (one with bar mount light fitted and one with none)..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.