Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any alternatives to Rock Shox Red Rum which I have to add to the air side of my Duke? I cant buy the stuff where I am and need a good alternative.

Please Help

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
MOO said:
Are there any alternatives to Rock Shox Red Rum which I have to add to the air side of my Duke? I cant buy the stuff where I am and need a good alternative.

Please Help
Its actually Torco Assembly Lube, you can get it directly from them do a google search, this board isn't allowing me to link it right now. Is Rockshox still recommending using redrum? In '03 they seemed to have taken it out of their service manuals and put 15wt shock oil as its replacement. If you plan on servicing your fork annually i would recommend the Redrum but it does dry up and turns to a gel after a short time. So if you don't plan on servicing your fork too often 15wt maybe the mo better way to go.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris2fur said:
In addition to Ratt's suggestions, you can use 80 wt. synthetic gear oil (same thing Fox uses on top of their air pistons).
Thanks for the help!!

There is a big diffrence between 15wt and 80wt, isnt there?

BTW
As soon as the warranty on my fox is up(which blew top and botom.) I will be instaling enduros.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
MOO said:
............15wt and 80wt, isnt there?...........
Yes there is but "gear oil" , "motor oil", "shock oil", "tranny fluid" weights are all measured differently and are not interchangeable. Oil weights among the different shock oil manufacturers can have up to about a 50% difference. 5wt silkolene is equal to about 7 1/2wt Maxima.

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
1,197 Posts
I recently read somewhere that REDRUM is nothing more than Assembly lube for autos.

To be honest, I have been using assembly lube in my 01 Psylo since new and it works great. I actually mix a little Assembly lube with a few drops of 7wt MX fork oil and it works great!

Assembly lube is ultra-slick and that is why you use it on cams and such when rebuilding engines.

Nice thing is it's fairly cheap too.

Here you go:
"Rockshox Oil- Rockshox repackages and sells Torco RFF oils for their forks. This is a blend of synthetic and mineral oils. The goofball aspect to this is that Rockshox in their infinite wisdom re-grades their product. RS2.5=Torco RFF 5, RS5=Torco RFF 7, RS10=Torco RFF 15, and RS15=Torco RFF 20. Rockshox considers their 5 and 10 weights their stock oils in Boxxer forks. RS5 then has a [email protected] of 16, and RS10 has a [email protected] of 33. To make RS5 from Red Line Oil use 28% Extra Light and 72% Light, to make RS10 from Red Line Oil use 93% Medium and 7% Heavy. Rockshox RedRum is just Torco MPZ Assembly Lube with the one difference that the Torco product is 117 [email protected] and the RS Product is 50 [email protected] This change was for very cold weather performance. "

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.