Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a few short months of Texas "not-so-hot weather," I decided I need more than what one water bottle can carry and rediscovered now awkward a hydration pack is. 2 liters in a Osprey Raptor 10 is quite uncomfortable and I'd like to put another water bottle on my bike.

My medium Karate Monkey has bolts to fit a bottle cage on top of the down tube and under it. I refuse to use the underside cage as I am certain that is going to fall off after it gets splattered with dog shi!t. I'd like to clamp a smaller bottle onto the seat tube bit the small handful of strap-on bottle mounts (SKS, Topeak, Two fish, etc) have me wondering if any of then are worthwhile. Recommendations?

When it gets REALLY hot I will deal with the backpack, but for those days when it's too hot for one 24 oz bottle but not hot enough for a backpack, I'd like to have the option for a second bottle.

·
slow
7,741 Posts
During a recent bikepacking trip, some fellow riders had installed additional bottles on their fork legs using the King Cage Universal Support Bolts (King Cage - Bicycle waterbottle cages handmade in Durango, CO) which look like hose clamps with bottle cage bolts attached. They stayed firmly in place for the entire 3 day tour.

When I had a bike with only one set of cage bolts in the main triangle, I used a feedbag on the bars for a second bottle. I did the same with two bottles on the bikepacking trip to increase water capacity. Revelate, J-Paks and many others make these type of bags, which are easy to install and remove:

Bicycle accessory Black Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Silver

·
slow
7,741 Posts
...Fork-mounted bottle on a suspension fork for recreational rdes on rocky terrain? Is that a good idea?
I don't know that I would do it, but they didn't seem to have any problems. I was running a rigid fork for that trip, and my fork was designed with braze-ons for bottle cages. You should be able to order those King straps they used on their forks in a size that would work on your seat tube.

·
Registered
12,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if the b-rad bracket with two bottles on the downtube would be irritating with my knees hitting it.

The other option I forgot about is my Jandd frame bag with two bottles in it or a bladder. I have rigged it with a bladder and the hose strapped to the handlebar with a ID badge yo-yo thing for gravel races and that worked well.

Someone needs to develop lightweight dehydrated water so I can carry it in a powdered form.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Frame bag or a 2nd cage mounted to the seat tube if there's room. There are adaptors to strap on a 2nd cage but I found that some protective tape, zip ties, and a bit of inner tube mount a cage securely without damaging the bike's finish. I would not want anything on the fork or bars unless it was for bike packing.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
A friend is using the side-by-side bottle setup on his bike and seems to really like it. He has not had any issues with his knees contacting the bottles or cages.
Mack, if you this route I will like more feedback.

For some insane reason my Krampus has no water bottle capabilities on the seat tube.

Almost got those but thought it will mess with my riding too.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Mack Turtle, I ride Texas almost daily, and like you, prefer not to have a pack when it gets hot (or even when it isn't). After struggling with the same challenge, I opted for a smaller pack. The Osprey you have looks kinda big, and has a pretty bulky waist strap. Great pack though. But me personally, wouldn't wear anything that big in hot weather. I went with a small Camelbak.

HYDROBAK 50 OZ

Small chest strap, no waist strap, and fairly small on the back. Honestly, it isn't that bad, even when it's 100+ outside. The only (small) issue is it sometimes takes flight (lack of waist strap) when jumping over tabletops when I'm riding flow outside of Texas. But it's not a biggy and really only annoying when I'm hitting repeating jumps in a row. Other than that, it sits high enough that it doesn't flop around.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I use a Jandd handlebar feed bag (same as the revelate design) when 2 bottles on the frame isn't enough. Doesn't muck up the handling appreciably, and when it's not blazingly hot, I have snacks in it.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,180 Posts
Handlebar bag might be an option. Fork-mounted bottle on a suspension fork for recreational rdes on rocky terrain? Is that a good idea?
I do mine on the other side of the handlebar, centered, if I'm racing, the revelate feed bag is right behind the number plate.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,600 Posts
I refuse to use the underside cage as I am certain that is going to fall off after it gets splattered with dog shi!t.

When it gets REALLY hot I will deal with the backpack, but for those days when it's too hot for one 24 os bottle but not hot enough for a backpack, I'd like to have the option for a second bottle.
I'd go with the b-rad system as described earlier. Probably the fewest compromises with that.

Lumbar pack might be a good idea, too. I've been resisting a lumbar pack for awhile, but am starting to rethink it. It's getting warm/humid down my way, too, and just the ability to get more airflow across my back would be much more comfy for shorter rides. Having a larger pack in the rotation is kinda necessary around here, though, for longer rides and for those shoulder season rides where it's too warm for a jacket on the long climbs, but too chilly to go without on the long downs (or the wind is howling on the ridgelines).

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
There is also the Fidlock Uni base. But you have to use the Fidlock bottles or get the Fidlock Uni connector.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Here is a totally different perspective. Try some bib liners shorts with storage pockets on the back. I have a pair of Zoic Carbon bib liners and a pair of Specialized SWAT bib liners. Both can accommodate a bottle and are quite comfortable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.