Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First this is anecdotal and not intended to be statistically nor scientifically significant. :thumbsup:

Currently using a lithium based grease( in an aerosol can) that I picked up in an auto parts store. It has worked well so far and also works well in cold temperatures. I was using common ball bearing grease which did not work well in real low temperatures. With the lithium grease, hub is quiet (DT quiet) and freehub spins well. Several rides in single digit (Fahrenheit) temperatures have been fine without the freehub sticking. Longest ride was 2.5 hours in 15-25 degrees. Application is easy with the pressurized can and tube.

Chime in if you have any other greasy ideas for DT freehubs.

urmb

·
Registered
479 Posts
I take it you are talking about that special grease for the star ratchet gizmo?

" Never use normal grease in the
freewheel mechanism, because this
will impair the function of the star
ratchet teeth. Only use DT Swiss
recommended special grease for this
procedure !
"

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SJDude said:
I take it you are talking about that special grease for the star ratchet gizmo?

" Never use normal grease in the
freewheel mechanism, because this
will impair the function of the star
ratchet teeth. Only use DT Swiss
recommended special grease for this
procedure !
"
Yeah, I have read that advertisement. See advertising works...for some that is. But to me experience is king. DT grease is a moly based grease. They work. Generally more expensive and in my 22 years of mountain biking and bike wrenching not any better than other greases for biking lubing and loads. Note I said not any better, so read, "not any worse," My 340 hub has over 2000 year round mountain biking miles on it with no problems. If it dies due to grease type, I will post pictures of the grease damaged parts and repost that dire DT grease warning.

Thanks
urmb

Reactions: tedroy

·
West Chester, PA
4,996 Posts
Agreed urmb. As long as its not noticeably increasing drag any good grease is ok. And a perceived increase in drag is why I watered down the phil grease with the finish line lube. That 240 hub has been in use for years with that lube and the ratchets show no wear.

I think the only time its appropriate to "drink the cool aid" is when we're talking lubes and oils for suspension, where viscosity is likely much more important. I don't profess to know anything about valving and things in shocks so I'll buy whatever it takes to make the squishy parts run right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Experimenting

I'm beginning to experiment with alternate greases as well. I've just used the Finish Line white teflon grease and have not noticed any problems after about 50 miles. I did buy a tub of the "special grease" from DT just to use as a comparator. Both are Teflon greases and have similar consistencies, but the DT grease seems more slippery and also a bit thinner, only slightly. I'm not a chemist here, but it seems they are compatible enough...so far. I hate to buy hard to get "special" anything, so I'll keep trying other Teflon based products as I find them and send back any updates. Cheers!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
penn reel grease works well for the freehub. its has the right viscosity to allow reel ratchets to snap back, just like the freehub. 6 bucks for 2 oz.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Spray lithium grease turns into a hard crust that definitely will clog those ratchets!

Normal regular old bearing grease thinned out with motor oil works well. I like grease that is light in color, just so you can tell when its getting nasty.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I thin out slick honey with syn gear oil at about 4:1 and it works like a champ. Have also had success with CK ring drive lube in the DT star ratchet hubs.

Have FUN!

G MAN

1 - 11 of 11 Posts