Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was having a good winter ramping up my training for the upcoming season. Had to take 2 weeks off the bike (most time off ever) and in that time evaluated our diet and realized we were probably eating far too much salt. Cut back considerably to less than 1000 mg/day (from 3000-3500) and lost 3-4 pounds (not part of the plan as I'm 167 and happy with my weight) with the change in diet (mostly water I think). In getting back on the bike after 2 weeks I've noticed higher heart rates at comparable power levels (deconditioning vs. diet change?). Thinking back to my exerc. physiology the decrease in salt could lead to a decrease in circulatng blood volume---leads to a decrease in ventricular volume with a decrease in stroke volume and subsequent increaes in heart rate to maintain cardiac output?(overly simplistic I know) Any armchair physiologists out there? I should probably try and still get at least 1500-2000 mg of sodium given that I'm normally on the bike 8-10 hours/week and would lose alot of salt during workouts? Any armchair nutritionists? Thanks for the input.

B

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you have cut back to 1000mg or less than that is no where near enough for an endurance athlete reguardless of the temperature you train in,
you can probably survive and get by on that amount but just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Sodium is an extremely important mineral and it is far better for fit healthy endurance athletes to consume just a little more than they may need rather than to restrict ones intake and consume far too little.
A healthy body will eliminate what it doesn't need without damaging any organs.
As for the high heart rate it could well have to do with the time off l know 2 weeks off effects my heart rate for the same given power.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agree on importance of sodium and think I need to increase some for the reasons you outline. Hoping a week on the trainer will start to bring the power back--amazing how fast things change with a little break!

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
I'm not racing, but know about riding and cardiac issues and sodium. I had two stents placed in my left anterior descending cardiac artery in Oct. 2005. Have had high blood pressure for years, heredity is my issue. I have always eaten well, exercised, never smoked, etc. I do harder rides (20+ miles and 2-3000+ plus climbing) two to four times a week.

I'm curious why you choose to go under 1000 mg per day? American Heart Assn. guidelines are 2500 mg / day and 1500 mg/day if you have had cardiac issues.

I got really good at getting my sodium low, often under 500 mg / day and riding four days a week was tough. I talked to my cardiologist and a nutritionist and found that staying between 1200 and 1500 mg daily worked best; that was the balance between cardiac risk management and being more active than the average person my age,

There is not much literature out there on sodium (or nutrition) for older active people with cardiac / high blood pressure issues. Depending on your age, health issues, etc., you probably want to stay in the 1500 to 2500 mg / day guidelines, if you are training and racing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Slocaus. The 1000 mg was fairly arbitrary and I now agree a number closer to 1500-1800 is more realistic with the riding I'm doing to ensure proper electrolyte balance. We have been working on eliminating processed food, dressings and sauce mixes which leads to a natural reduction in intrinsic salt. Work in progress!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.