Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dr. Bike
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if that's possible and if so, who does it. I was hoping to have a 5th element coil shock altered to a remote reservoir. Just spoke with Progressive and they aren't servicing bicycle shocks anymore.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
david101372 said:
Anyone know if that's possible and if so, who does it. I was hoping to have a 5th element coil shock altered to a remote reservoir. Just spoke with Progressive and they aren't servicing bicycle shocks anymore.
I don't think it is possible, but I can't be certain. Call Craig at Avalanche, maybe he'll be kind to shed the light on this one for you, but he may be too busy to bother. He makes both versions of his shocks, one with a remote res and one with attached, they do look a bit different.

In your 5th, you have a floating piston and Craig states for his DHS shock that it has a rubber bladder, instead of a piston, to allow for a remote placement of the reservoir. I don't know what the logic behind that is. Also, Craig's gonna be gone until the 18th, so you'll have to wait a couple of days.

_MK

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
As you probably know, Progressive, Fox, and Avy make/made remote reservoir shocks. Fox still makes a Turner DHR specific model in their lineup. Of course, with the exception of Avy, the Fox and Progressive units are bike specific models.

As to modifying an existing piggyback unit, only a factory or very advanced aftermarket company would even be capable of such a thing IMO. For starters the mounted piggyback is part of the existing shock body. I'd think you'd have to find a shock body end piece that replaced the piggyback end piece, and it would have to be plumbed for a braided hose fixture. Then you'd have to have a piggyback compatible to the specific shock with a hose of a certain length so that mounting the reservoir wouldn't leave you too short or too long. Mounting the piggyback might be the least of the problems, but it would have to be done in a manner that didn't cause frame damage or interference.

All-in-all a very daunting task...not impossibe, but extremely difficult. At this point I would just pick up the phone and call Avy to order that model of their shock that has a remote reservoir. I believe that shock would come custom made for your bike with the right length of hose and reservoir mounting hardware. And it would work.

·
Dr. Bike
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I know specialized is specing a bike with a 5th element that has a remote reservoir so I hoped I could have Progressive retrofit a regular shock and save me some $$$. It's not lookin good so far... Maybe I'll disect a shock and see if I can do it myself.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Do it yourself?

david101372 said:
Thanks for the advice. I know specialized is specing a bike with a 5th element that has a remote reservoir so I hoped I could have Progressive retrofit a regular shock and save me some $$$. It's not lookin good so far... Maybe I'll disect a shock and see if I can do it myself.
David, don't take that as a slam, because I'd be totally amazed and highly respectful if you were able to successfully pull this off. And if you do, then you may be in the wrong business. You need to start your own suspension business or work for one. The big hurdle I'd think you'd have in altering an existing model is getting one of these fairly technical piggybacks (DHX, 5th E, Manitou) to work properly once you remotely mount the reservoir. Yeah, I know Fox and Progressive do/did this, but geez...they have a few resources at their disposal. As MK pointed out, the Avy's piggyback, while effective, is a different kettle of fish compared to Propedal, SPV, adjustable bottomout, etc. that the Fox and Progressive units possess.

Those of us who know or remember "Dougal"?...I'd think he'd be the only suspension geek who'd try a home remedy version of something like this...and maybe come up with something that might actually function in some form or other.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.