Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Trail Cubist
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Calling tbmaddux, LOL)

I'm wondering how Alsea Falls holds up after a rain—or to put it differently, how much rain has to fall before we should stay off the trails? (Or how many completely dry days needed before it's all clear?)

If there's a brief but intense downpour (lasting maybe 20 minutes) one day, are the trails okay the next day? Or not for several days?

There has been a fair amount of localized rain for the past week or so and I'm just wondering if I can go out there this evening to ride? Or should I stay away?

Thx!
Scott

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Hope I'm not too late.

I rode it Alsea Falls (Sunday) right after it dumped really hard on Saturday afternoon. It was wet and splashy, but not muddy, and pretty much everywhere was fine except lower Springboard, which had turned to goo.

So, I think it'll be fine. Go for it.

·
Trail Cubist
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tbmaddux—much appreciated. I ended up wimping out tonight (had to work 'til 6pm and don't much feel like riding in the fading light at 7 or 7:30). But I may head out there early in the AM...if I do I'll post a conditions report. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is Alsea open weekdays now?
I was under the impression it was a weekend or holiday location only due to
logging operations in the area.

any intel on that?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
any intel on that?
I haven’t heard anything since last year, but I’m not really in the loop anymore.

The only thing I saw on Sunday was a red TRUCKS sign with a CB channel on it, which I assume is for the harvest operation happening above the trail system on the flank of Prairie Mtn. That’s the same operation that widened out the road just after the bridge on Whistlepunk in late 2018.

·
Trail Cubist
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was there...umm...one weekday afternoon last week, can't remember which. Got there around 3:30 or 4pm and rode for 90 minutes, no problems. There were a handful of other people there riding too. Didn't notice any closure signs or other notices anywhere—all seemed wide open!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
The original harvest operation at the landing between Sexy Tree and Highballer plus the two locations going up the gravel road to Whistlepunk ended a little over a year ago. Then in mid-2018 it was resumed with a new company, again on just those three parcels, and that wrapped up sometime in the last few months.

Now there's a new, ongoing operation that's going up onto the flank of Prairie Mountain and Prairie Peak on private land. The timber haul route is down through the gravel and paved road system. You can avoid about half of the truck traffic exposure by going up the paved road to Gutrobber, and about 95% of it if you climb the back way up Dutchman, Bailout, and then behind Highballer to Gutrobber. It's a miserable climb up the wall to Highballer, though, that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Hey,
Just rode Alsea for the first time since the spring. That new trail above Whistlepunk is seriously one of the most fun stretches of trail I've ever rode. Nicely done Team Dirt!!! We noticed some flagged off trails off to the right of the main climb (paved section), then again around that 90degree corner before the last climbs to Whistlepunk. Are those under development too?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
That new trail above Whistlepunk
That's the new black-diamond flow trail named Misery Whip. It opened last month, just before the shuttle weekend. Something like 2 1/2 years in the making.

We noticed some flagged off trails off to the right of the main climb (paved section), then again around that 90degree corner before the last climbs to Whistlepunk. Are those under development too?
Yes that's a currently-unnamed double black diamond trail that breaks off the main climbing road up to Whistlepunk and descends all the way to the parking lot. It briefly approaches the paved road up, which is what you noticed. I don't know when it will open. It sounds like it needs some adjustment, based on what I've heard from the builders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts