Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Generally, us photoshopers would use the Clone Stamp tool to copy a small portion from on area and then paste it over another (aprox. 5x5 pixel area), and doing that over and over again a billion times.

Although in your case, there's so many of those purple lines (whatever they are) that it's basically a no-go unless it photoshoped in an artistic way which I would but can't do. ( no photoshop at the moment)

but good luck anyways!

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Photoshop is just a tool for working with images. If an image is garbage to start with, photoshop will never make it good.

That picture is junk for more reasons than just image quality. Poor camera location, timing, composition, almost everything is lame.

Rather than waste time fixing this image. Take some time learning about how to take a better picture and hit the trail with the boys & girls with the goal of getting some good shots. You will then get some images worth spending time on.

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
pvd said:
Photoshop is just a tool for working with images. If an image is garbage to start with, photoshop will never make it good.
\/QUOTE]

Absolutely. I'm a commercial photographer whom uses PS every day. PS has a lot of mis conceptions. Simply, the better the initial image, the MORE useful PS is. Period. It's ot a magic solution to anything.

And no, you image has all sorts of electronic noise, and banding. Nothing going to turn that into "photograph".

·
Mtbr Founder
35,547 Posts
pvd said:

That picture is junk for more reasons than just image quality. Poor camera location, timing, composition, almost everything is lame.

Rather than waste time fixing this image. Take some time learning about how to take a better picture and hit the trail with the boys & girls with the goal of getting some good shots. You will then get some images worth spending time on.
Listen to PVD. He knows what he's talking about. The first step is getting a good opportunity to get a good photo and then recognizing when you have a photo worth saving. In that shot, you're just in a bad location with bad lighting so you never had a chance (foreground in the shadows an background in the sun).

The other thing I'll add is you have to throw away that camera. If it ruins your photos intermittently, then it's not worth it. You can't replace those lost photos.

fc

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would just get a new camera, they're really cheap now, and shoot again. The lighting in the pic could be better anyway - to much difference between the darks and brights. For a start, try shooting in the morning, late afternoon or overcast weather and watch the colors come out.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Yes, it can be salvaged.

Photoshop is a great tool for such things but it is a lot of work and that will test your belief in the image as important to you. It is a shame that you have so much noise in your image. The fix offered by Fairfaxian was a generous and apt effort.

Time for a new camera. Maybe it will inspire you to work on your imaging techniques.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Was this up in Tahoe? If it is some place close by,

Next best idea is to go back to the same location, take the picture again, superimpose it on to the existing, lighten the existing after doing a multiply under (layers). You prob. need to lighten the new photo too. Make it more transparent.

But I have a feeling the picture is not going to look as good as the shadow has prob. changed, and your picture will not be authentic anymore.

·
Spin-stabilized
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wasn't really hopeful...

Thanks fellas. I really wasn't expecting much since the initial photo was "junk" and "lame".

It was a last-second shot where I just decided to pull out my trasher/crap camera out of the pack to take my friend's photo. I haven't used the camera in ages, it's old and battered. I brought it to the ride because I didn't want to trash the G9 at Northstar where there were a lot of opportunities for me to crash hard at speed. I'm not an armchair "photographer" but I do try to take good shots (good composition and quality) and not post bad ones and waste server space.

Gary, dude, you're very creative as usual:thumbsup:

·
Now wr rollin on a Boom!
282 Posts
Amiel, aren't you the guy who posted that incredible series of shots of your trip to Oregon?

You can afford to lose a shot or two now and then!:D

·
Spin-stabilized
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yeah I know. I was just wondering if there was a way to clean it up a bit and make it marginally usable so I can e-mail it to the rider. I had no plans to frame it or anything :)

Fairfaxian's and Francois' versions seem to have done the trick. Thanks!

·
Spin-stabilized
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bstyle74 said:
forget the picture.... did the rider save the landing? looks like he's nose-heavy and has the seat pretty high!
No save needed. The landing has a steep tranny and the rider matched it perfectly and landed smoothly. The rider btw landed stunts like these like a pro all day long. I don't think you can air that jump too much as the landing immediately joins the main trail which runs perpendicular to it. If you've ridden Boondocks at N*, you'll know what I'm talking about.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.