Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cheezy User
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the bikes I have looked at, from my favorite to my least favorite. None of them have been ruled out yet, and I am open to others:

2013 Trek Wahoo
Trek Wahoo Disc 29 (Gary Fisher Collection) - Assenmachers.com

2014 Trek X Caliber 4
Trek X-Caliber 4 (Gary Fisher Collection) - Assenmachers.com

2014 Specialized Hardrock
Specialized Hardrock Disc 29 - Assenmachers.com

2014 Diamondback Overdrive
http://www.*****sportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=26708926&ppp=87&lmdn=Price

2013 Diamondback Response
http://www.*****sportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13354773&ppp=87&lmdn=Price

Is there anything I need to know about these bikes? Good or bad? How about some other models in that price range ($400-$600)? What is your opinion on DSG? Anything else that I didn't ask or specify?

·
Cheezy User
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not a good pricepoint. How do you feel about secondhand?
I personally have no problem with secondhand, but my parents might. Right now, I am focusing on new bikes, but I will definitely look into a secondhander.

Close at 675 with a decent fork and drive is an Airborne Guardian.
Airborne Bicycles. Guardian 2.0
Say... That looks pretty dang good. I did notice, however, that Airborne is a strictly online brand. I would really rather prefer going to a bike shop, because I honestly don't have much of an idea what I am doing.

Any other direction you guys can point me in? I appreciate the help. :thumbsup:

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Unless you're already splitting the cost, that would be something to bring up.

·
Cheezy User
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At that price point check out the Giant Talon line in 27.5, the 29 is a bit more expensive.

Talon 27.5 4 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Talon 27.5 5 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States
Alright, sweet. I have been looking for a 27.5" actually. I am accustomed to riding a lil' 20" Mongoose BMX bike, so it's good to know that I have a small-wheeled option in my price point. It's funny, actually. I was looking at the Giant Revel the other day and never even noticed the Talon there. Thanks!

Speaking of which, why is it that the 27.5ers seem to be so expensive? This is the first one I've seen that is actually in my budget. Is it because it is the "new technology"?

And one more thing. What about rigid frames? Will I see any noticeable differences in the quality of the bike at this price point with a rigid frame?

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
The Suntour fork on that Giant is a $60 component meant for bike paths according to Suntour. So you may get that much more value at this level with a ridged. Airborne has great customer service AND they answer the phone when you call. They are on the forum under manufacturers with answers to any questions. Call and talk about sizing, assembly and any other questions you have. Unless you're under 5'4", I wouldn't think you would see any advantage to a 27.5 and the 29 wheels still roll easier over rocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts