Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the deal. i've got a fat chance 'yo eddy' hardtail that seems to gather dust when my squishy bike (ellsworth id) is running properly, which is most of the time. i have a good friend that just converted his moots ybbeat to an ss and i am thinking of doing the same with my fat chance. i am thinking bash gaurd up front and ss conversion + tensioner in back. although i have searched the forum and looked at the faqs, i have a few questions:

what is the probabality of not needing a tensioner in back?

what is the best ss conversion kit for a 8 sp king freehub (which is aluminum and i understand that there can be issues with this)?

which is the best tensioner?

i'm not too concerned with $$$ and prefer to have parts that are built well and will last.

i'll post before and after pics when i'm done.

thanks all you burly ss folks, i can already feel my thighs burning!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
not that it has anything to do specifically with it being a Fat Chance, but my friend (Upchuck on mtbr) has 2 of em, 1 a single speed.

Personally, I would have a rear wheel built (as did Upchuck) using the ENO eccentric hub to bypass the whole tensioner stuff. Great quality stuff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
upchucks ss fat

yeah, i saw that on the vintage forum, nice ride. i actually posted to him to ask how he did his conversion. this will be my first ss and i am thinking that i'll try the tensioner before shelling out for the whole wheel. also, would be a shame to mismatch my red kings;)

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
PCfatty said:
yeah, i saw that on the vintage forum, nice ride. i actually posted to him to ask how he did his conversion. this will be my first ss and i am thinking that i'll try the tensioner before shelling out for the whole wheel. also, would be a shame to mismatch my red kings;)
whoops....did not notice you already had the King, sorry. Not sure about tensioners as I have never used em but I am sure somebody will chime in as to which is the best.

cheers

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
PCfatty said:
As for tensioners, Rennen is good stuff. $50 or 60, somewhere in there. NOT compatible with Breezer dropouts (honestly I have no clue what the Fat Chance has, I should be more educated in this, as they are benchmark in the "Vintage, Retro" realm, IMO).

Wide base cogs go well with aluminum freehub bodies, a la: Endless Kick Azz Cogs, Chris King (stainless are purdy and hold up, but so do the Endless', and the next entry), Boone Ti.

As for thigh burning, my upper back was more sore than anything from the out of the saddle mash fest. Maybe I am doing it wrong? :)

Hurry up already, I wanna see some Fat pics!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the suggestions

fat dropouts are resonably standard vertical bits. i think they are about 1/4" thick. the hanger is not replaceable though. it may be a week or so before the project is complete. i will definately post pics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.