Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Don't be a sheep
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is the NIX trail between the two parking lots a bike trail or what. I read on here earlier that it was but they just needed to get the okay to build the bridge. Now somebodies gone and wiped out the whole trail in this area and built and anti-biking fence, so, what is the deal. I'm pretty sure this trail was built by cyclists with permission, have the powers that be reneged on another agreement?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Rivet said:
So is the NIX trail between the two parking lots a bike trail or what. I read on here earlier that it was but they just needed to get the okay to build the bridge. Now somebodies gone and wiped out the whole trail in this area and built and anti-biking fence, so, what is the deal. I'm pretty sure this trail was built by cyclists with permission, have the powers that be reneged on another agreement?

Just a matter of timing. You were correct in your post that all that is needed is a bridge; but some people are not patient enough and have been using the trail, which is causing an issue with the hikers and docents leading nature tours being buzzed by bikers on a trail section that is still marked hiking only. This has created a bit of controversy and hikers have complained to the county.

The county had to take steps to stop use of the trail until it is ready. Currently the connector trail is not open to anyone.

Just be patient for the bridge to be constructed and we will have a nice connector trail, but we need to stop being seen as a problem group in the mean time.

The trail will be open as soon as a bridge is in place and deemed ready for use by the county.

The status of this trail and the bridge was posted from the very first post when the trail was created so nothing has changed to-date.

Patience......

·
Registered
25 Posts
JamR, that's a critical piece of single track. Wouldn't it make more sense to open the trail, and simply move the "no bikes" sign 200 feet further into Laurel canyon to eliminate the short section of overlap - i.e. so that the hiker's don't feel that there has been a trespass?

At any rate, what's the timeline on the bridge? Who's doing it? Can we help with the bridge?

·
Registered
263 Posts
jandras said:
JamR, that's a critical piece of single track. Wouldn't it make more sense to open the trail, and simply move the "no bikes" sign 200 feet further into Laurel canyon to eliminate the short section of overlap - i.e. so that the hiker's don't feel that there has been a trespass?

At any rate, what's the timeline on the bridge? Who's doing it? Can we help with the bridge?
Definitely a critical connection, but the county needs to make sure that things are done the correct way.

From my understanding, there are a couple of issues with the trail that the county is working on.

First of all the bridge. Where the trail currently crosses the creek bed, it falls directly beneath the dripline of a large oak. The concerns of the volunteer and ecologists were that walking or riding directly over the root system of the tree would compact that section of the root system and could damage the tree.

I'm constantly faced with the same dilema. We are not allowed to have a trail....or even allowed to put a picnic table beneath the canopy or drip line of an oak. They are locally protected.

The other issue from my understanding is a sensitive geological feature at the beginning which is an exposed fault line that they want to keep intact.

They are definitely working on this connection and we'll be able to enjoy it once they have all the needed improvements in place.

Hopefully soon, but I don't have any update on the actual timeline.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the feedback JamR.

How can a Laguna Beach resident and mountainbiker get involved? ... to help do the work? ... to help influence things?

Joe.

·
Registered
263 Posts
jandras said:
Thanks for the feedback JamR.

How can a Laguna Beach resident and mountainbiker get involved? ... to help do the work? ... to help influence things?

Joe.
Just get with the County Rangers over at Laguna Coast and they will let you know what they might need in the way of help.

They offices are now located over at the Nix Center.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts