Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any oldschoolers out there still have one of these early head-turners? I have my old rig that I use when I have guests, but the ALPS 4 rear shock won't hold air anymore. What are my options for replacement/repair? My local shop is out of options.

·
CAMBA Creature.
222 Posts
They no longer make parts for the ALPS 4.
Check out Risse Racing, they make a great air shock for vintage Super V's (see shock applications), starting at $198.
I've got the Astro-5 ($298) on my '95 Super V-1 singlespeed. It is awesome!

http://www.risseracing.com/airshocks.shtml

·
Registered
62 Posts
You might be able to patch your Fox Alps 4. I have a 96 Super V with the same shock issue. On mine, the sliding cylinder had developed a crack at the end where the mount is. I found this by pumping up the shock and dunking it in a bucket of water. The air leak was obvious. Fortunately the crack is at the end of the cylinder where it is not a working surface (it never slides into the upper body in that area). I started out by cleaning the area with alcohol and applying several drops of crazy glue. Let it dry overnight. I pumped it up and it held air. The patch lasted a few months. Eventually it split again. The next time I took a file and roughed up the area around the crack and applied more crazy glue. It worked again for a few months. I finally surmised that I needed to cover the cracked area to support the crazy glue from splitting open. So I cut a small piece of plastic out of a small plastic bottle that was about the same diameter of the shock cylinder (I used a vitamin bottle). I cut the half cylinder strip so that it completely covered the crack but did not interfere with the shock when it was fully compressed. I again cleaned the surface with alcohol and used crazy glue on the entire inner surface of the plastic patch and let it dry overnight. So far there has been no leaks. :thumbsup: I have pictures.
Of course, another alternative is to find another Alps 4 that is not leaking (good luck, I've been looking for years) or find a Fox Alps 5R (which I was able to do on ebay). The Alps 5R is a little bit longer (there seems to be several different lengths out there) than the Alps 4, but still fit inside the operational range of my swing arm. Because it is longer to start with, my seat is higher off the ground than with the Alps 4. This is no big deal to me as I am a recreational rider and don't care too much about all the frame angle stuff.:p
From what I've seen and read in this forum, a common fix is to switch to a Jekyll swing arm, modify the downtube shock attachment point and pick up a more readily available 6.5 inch shocks out on the market.
Good luck.

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
Dale1K said:
On mine, the sliding cylinder had developed a crack at the end where the mount is. I found this by pumping up the shock and dunking it in a bucket of water. The air leak was obvious. Fortunately the crack is at the end of the cylinder where it is not a working surface (it never slides into the upper body in that area).
For jobs like this, JB Weld is your best friend. Just make sure to use the slow set stuff (red and black lettering on white tubes) since it's considerably stronger than the quick set stuff.

-Pete

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mission accomplished (I think)

Thanks guys. I ordered a replacement from Risse Racing. It shipped today. I hope this will do the trick. Next will likely be an upgrade on the headshock....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a used 5R for sale. It's off my 1997 Klein Mantra Race and I have to say it's been used for pretty much all of the 15 years since without any servicing of any kind *ahem*.

Shock goes up and down, does have some damping but it's sticky and makes a liquid squishing sound. Also you can hear liquid sloshing when you shake it. Also after I clean it it doesn't take long to build up a bit of oily gunge around the bottom of the shock (leaking down from the piston).

Other than that there is very little wear - bushings are still good, no visible scratches I got a rockshox mc3.3 to replace it and it seems to be an acceptable subsitution.

If anyone wants it for parts then I dunno - $25 plus postage seem fair? PM me or I'll put it on ebay. This is only my fifth post so I'll try and get this across a few threads as I know a few of you are always on the lookout for parts/spares.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts