Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa was really nice to me and got me an Alpine Scale!

Seems very accurate for lighter parts, but seems like heavier items (bikes) are weighing in 1-1.5 lbs heavier than anticipated...(weighed bikes in the past using Tanita digital home scale-not completely accurate, but seems so if you take an average of several readings )...My shop also had mentioned their Alpine Scale tended to weigh on the heavy side... Has anyone had a similar experience or am I just finally getting a true accurate reading?
The Alpine Scale seems like a solid piece of equipment and I am definitely not knocking it, I think it is great, just taking an informal poll here.
Thanks!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Dscarbs said:
Santa was really nice to me and got me an Alpine Scale!

Seems very accurate for lighter parts, but seems like heavier items (bikes) are weighing in 1-1.5 lbs heavier than anticipated...(weighed bikes in the past using Tanita digital home scale-not completely accurate, but seems so if you take an average of several readings )...My shop also had mentioned their Alpine Scale tended to weigh on the heavy side... Has anyone had a similar experience or am I just finally getting a true accurate reading?
The Alpine Scale seems like a solid piece of equipment and I am definitely not knocking it, I think it is great, just taking an informal poll here.
Thanks!!!!:thumbsup:
1 to 1.5 pounds heavier than anticipated? You mean my bikes are lighter than I thought they were (since I use an Alpine)?:eek:

BB

·
More carbon fiber please!
684 Posts
BruceBrown said:
1 to 1.5 pounds heavier than anticipated? You mean my bikes are lighter than I thought they were (since I use an Alpine)?:eek:

BB
Lol. I think many get a rude awakening when they get an accurate scale. When you read how much someone says a bike weighs and you look over things and wonder how... most often it's not an accurate scale that was used is my guess. ;)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep, I think you are right, that combined with some sales folks trying to sell some bikes... May have been deceived a little when trying to decide on a bike..based on what my bike really weighs.... I guess 1 lb doesn't make a big difference in th big scheme of things, but I had a mental picture of a certain weight before dropping the cash on my bike..... Love it in all respects other than that, so I guess I will live... and also begin the obsession with somehow shaving another pound off of it for some type of mental relief.... Any thoughts>?

·
Registered
88 Posts
i've found the alpine to be all over in weights. If you mount the scale in the stand and weigh your bike hanging from the front rim, the rear rim, the top tube and finally the seat you will get 4 different readings. Something i've found but who knows maybe it's just my scale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.