Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Alpine Riding in Italy (More Pics)

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  The Highlander 
#1 · (Edited)
Heres a few more pics from my Trip to the Italian Dolomites

I started this ride in Corvara and headed down to Pedraces on from there I bought a ticket for a chair lift up to the church at Santa Croca

THe chairlift transport was rather dodgy they just bunged my bike in on the seat, when i got to the half way point and retrieved mybike I found my fork stancion had been rubbing on the chair - and there was a big mark - luckily for me after rubbing it with my shirt i found that my stancion was stronger than the chair - but bear this in mind if you ever use the chair lifts out there they could trash your bike !!! - I decided to cycle the rest of the way up to the church - the trail was very steep and I did have to push at times

At the top there is a great single track trail I first headed north along it until it turned to double track , I then turned around and headed back to the church (In Italy you grab single track where you can find it even if it means out and back riding...)

I then headed south on some more great singletrack contouring around the base of the fanes national park

The singletrack ended and i then followed a farm track, which eventually climbed up through alpine fields - I had a bit of hike a bike up through a steep forfested section - and then had more great singletrack in the forest to ride

This trail then dropped steeply down into the valley below - where I got a cable car up onto the plateau above corvara

The views were great up here and the trails were a mix of dirt roads, double track and singletrack

From the Plateau I dropped down through woods and back to out hotel in Covara.

My next ride was a quick one after a day of doing via ferrata, the weather had got a bit damper and cooler on this day

One more day of riding left to post...

See less See more
#4 ·
Last Day of riding

My last day of riding was a mixed bag of riding, I had been planning on doing a big loop over at Selva Di Gardana as it was raining in Corvara, but when i got over the pass it started raining over there as well, so I drove up another pass where is wasnt raining and had a play around on the trails around The City of Rocks at pass podoi

Whist the riding is not as good as in the states the views are pretty good !!!

One thing these pictures dont tell you is in italy there is a lot o hike a bike to contend with !!, as some of the trails are very very steep going up, I even found myself pushing your bike down hill sometimes as they were way too rocky and steep

After I'd ridden most of the trails in this area I drove back to Corvara and rode up onto the Plateau above our Hotel and rode some more trails

A word of warning to my fellow MTBR's - my pictures may make out the dolomites are a MTB paradise - in my experience they are Not :eek:

While I had enjoyed the trails I'd ridden I wont be bringing my MTB bike out again to Italy i'll stick to Hiking Via Ferrata and Road Biking

As the sections of trail I found to be good had also had miles of dirt road / road / hike-a-bike to go with them

Also Lift tickets are very expensive - in some areas as well as the cost of the ticket you have to pay an extra 5 euros to take your bike on them. They do have a bike loop ride you can do out there called the sela ronda which is linked together with lifts - but you can only do that with a guide - and without the lift tickets thats 100 euro per person - also to be honest the sections of the sella ronda i did ride were not that great.. as they seem to think that MTB riders like to only ride on double track trails

Any way I'm looking forward to flying into Las Vegas on 27th Sept to ride what I know are brilliant trails in Nevada, Utah, Co & Arizona !!!

Happy Trails

Gordon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.