Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is itching for a new bike and I really want to build her a 27.5+. When is the Alpine going to be available? I know the Mixer is getting a lot of attention, but give a little spotlight on this bike.

·
Front Range Colorado
155 Posts
My wife is itching for a new bike and I really want to build her a 27.5+. When is the Alpine going to be available? I know the Mixer is getting a lot of attention, but give a little spotlight on this bike.
Available now. See website.

·
Registered
12,539 Posts
Intrigued by the Alpine +
Does anyone have one or had a chance to ride one? Google didn't pull up any review on mtbr and just a few "first look" press release type articles on other sites.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well crap... my wife is interested in the Mutz I am building now... I may have to build her one before the Alpine+ is ready...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Intrigued by the Alpine +
Does anyone have one or had a chance to ride one? Google didn't pull up any review on mtbr and just a few "first look" press release type articles on other sites.
I hope you are able to test ride one since I live in Argentina and I am only able to read reviews to choose my next bike.
Alpine plus is basically a Shaver 29er with wider tires, which is not a bad thing.
Foes Mixer is an intresting bike also, and a back to back comparision would be great.
I will keep on reading your blog...
Cheers, Diego

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Alpine Plus is a Mutz lite, shorter chainstays, but still kinda long.

Personally, I'm looming at an Enduro Mixer, fits plus tires, more travel.

I think the Alpine Plus geometry is not quite there, hta is too steep, sta is too slack, cs is too long.

I think another poster said it best: "there are lots of good plus bikes, but only a few good fs fat bikes"

Enduro Mixer or get a Mutz

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alpine Plus is a Mutz lite, shorter chainstays, but still kinda long.

Personally, I'm looming at an Enduro Mixer, fits plus tires, more travel.

I think the Alpine Plus geometry is not quite there, hta is too steep, sta is too slack, cs is too long.

I think another poster said it best: "there are lots of good plus bikes, but only a few good fs fat bikes"

Enduro Mixer or get a Mutz
So, I read a MTBR article on the F275 from a few years ago, where they thought that by the numbers, the HTA was too steep and then they road it and said that it handled just fine at speed. Another review of the Mixer trail recently said a very similar description.. that by the specs, you would think that it would be too squirrely, but once on the trail it performed fine. Since you buy a Foes as a frame anyways, just put an adjustable headset in it and figure out how you like it to ride... The slack STA is just a result of their suspension design, a quirk you have to like if you want a Made in USA Foes.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Nah, adjusting angles is a CAD program, the sta on the Mixers is slacker by design so the rider is placed further forward when they sit and spin, which reduces front wheel lift /reduces the effort needed to keep the front wheel dowm.

I'm not sure why the Mutz and Alpine get the slack sta.

Anglesets work great, but the head tubes used on the Foes frames (other than the Hydro) are not big enough to support an internal cup, so using an angleset increases stack by over half an inch.

If I get an Enduro, I want enough room for 3" tires and I want the head tube from the Hydro.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts