Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just a heads up- Alpine Baldy will be formally opening on Saturday, July 20th!

We'll gather at 11am in downtown Skykomish at the pump track for a short ceremony with project partners Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance, U.S.F.S, the Town of Skykomish and King County Parks followed by a BBQ.

At 2pm, meet at the Alpine Baldy Trailhead for a casual group ride to check out the new trail.

Check out Evergreen's event page for more information:

https://www.evergreenmtb.org/calendar/eventdetail/6171/alpine-baldy-trail-grand-opening

Hope to see you there!

-Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks Jack and DRSpalding!!! That got me to the trailhead and I was able to join the Evergreen ride. I used my phone to search for "Beckler Peak Trailhead" and that gave me the turnoff needed to get off Hwy 2. Since I have an android, it said NF-66, but I think the (barely visible) sign said 6066. Forever grateful for your help, I definitely would not have found it on my own. Also thanks to Shayne for reaching out to me.

This was the most fun I've had in a long time. Kudos to the trail builders!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I'm planning on checking this one out tomorrow for the first time. If I wanted to add a little more mileage to the ride, is it worth parking near HWY 2 and just riding the forest road to the trail head? I can't remember how steep FS66 is, been awhile since I was hiking out there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You could, if you like riding on forest service roads. Maybe a tad sketchier than some other ones, with a few blind turns and maybe a little more traffic. It’s typical forest road steepness, and there are some places lower down to park I’m pretty sure. Id rather do the actual ride twice than ride the road, but.....

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Just a heads up to save someone else my frustration this morning, the forest road to the trail head is only open Friday through Sunday for the foreseeable future. They are doing work on it and won't let anyone access the trail in the meantime. Sigh.

Had the same issue at the lower Lord Hill parking lot on the way home too 😫

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just a heads up to save someone else my frustration this morning, the forest road to the trail head is only open Friday through Sunday for the foreseeable future. They are doing work on it and won't let anyone access the trail in the meantime. Sigh.

Had the same issue at the lower Lord Hill parking lot on the way home too 😫
Is it possible to pedal up the fireroads at Stevens midweek? Whats their uphill policy during the summer? haha That would have only been 15 more minutes up Hwy 2...

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I actually debated bringing my fullface and pads just in case, but I was really after a long ride in the mountains not bombing a ski park today. Just started a new job and wanted some solitude, not the right mindset for hitting big jumps sadly.

Although any other day I'd be more than happy to, Stevens has really stepped it up the last couple years. Oh well a quick lap at PVCA had to sufice for now, maybe I can make it up there next Sunday.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Has anyone been by there to see when the signs come down on Thursdays? I just spoke with the ranger station at Skykomish and they don't know for sure, since it isn't a FS project/contract that is being worked on. It is 911 comm gear going in, probably by the county and he said that they, ironically, "haven't been very communicative". He did say that they work 4x12 shifts (Mon-Thu) so if they get going at 6:00AM, they should be done by 6:00PM which is fine for a full moon ride tonight. I just don't want to wait at the bottom of the road beyond 6:30 or so in order to get started by 7:00 or thereabouts.

·
Registered
885 Posts
So I take it there isn't a route that allows us to drop down to Beckler Rd? Is going back down towards Hwy 2 the only option? I miss Johnson Ridge and Sunrise, they were hijacked by the boot only crowd, that was a great riding so it's time for me to check out Alpine Baldy.

If they could connect this to old Hwy 2 via Captain Point and then down,one could ride all the way to Stevens w/o getting on the new highway. The climb from Scenic to Stevens is fun, even did one year on my BMX bike for the hell of it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
From the Evergreen page on the Alpine Baldy project:

Alpine Baldy (Phase 1 & 2)
Trail: Alpine Baldy
Chapter: Cascades to Sound
New Mileage: 7.5 miles
Completion Date: 07/20/2019

Just a few miles northeast of the town of Skykomish, Alpine Baldy Phase I boasts an upper trail terminus at 5,000' of elevation with a 360-degree view of the surrounding valley from a bald peak vantage point. A joint venture between the USFS (via a NOVA grant), King County Parks (Community Partnership Grant) and Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance member donations, Alpine Baldy is the first legal mountain bike trail in the Skykomish Ranger District.

Alpine Baldy currently includes a 7.5-mile out-and-back trail, Evergreen trail staff completed 5 miles of road-to-trail conversion and 2.5 miles of new single track!

Fully funded by Evergreen Members and donations and in partnership with the USFS, Phase II of Alpine Baldy is currently under construction and will add three steep miles of trail to create a 10 mile loop.
---
I think that it will descend back to the trailhead though and not out to Beckler, but it may actually connect up with the Beckler Peak trail on its way down. This is back to the west however, and not down towards the Old Cascade Highway. Looking at the topo for the area, that looks f***ing steep getting back down to the Old Cascade Highway below the road grade used to get to Alpine Baldy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.