Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gah, I can't decide whether or not to spend the extra $100. I'm a teen, I have a few hundred saved up, and $500 would be "pushing the envelope" so to speak. PLUS the extra cost of a shock pump.
Weigh 130, 5'9'.
My perceived advantages of the 550 are
The Air fork, better crankset, hayes mx-4.

What are the advantages of Hayes MX-4? I really only need V brakes, so I don't care if it's more powerful, but how about component durability?

I don't think ill mind the Truvativ Isoflow, I'm lightweight anyways. Am I right or not?

The biggest upgrade is the fork, which is..
2007 Manitou Super Lockout 80mm vs a Rockshox Dart 1 (By the way, is this 100mm or 80mm.)

I don't think any big drops will be it's use, but mainly I need plushiness for small bumpy terrain. Is the Rockshox Dart 1 any good for entry level?

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
taikuodo,
I've pulled up the specs on both bikes, sometimes its easier to see all the up-grades you get for $100 :thumbsup:

07' ALP 450 Pre-Launch Special: $369
Frame: 6061 Aluminum
Fork: Rock Shox Dart 1
Shifters: Shimano EF-50
Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
Crankset: TruVativ Iso-Flow (42/32/22T)
Cassette: Shimano HG40 8-spd (11-32T)
Chain: Shimano HG40
Brakes: Tektro Io Mechanical Disc Brakes
Levers: Tektro Quartz Adjustable
Rims: WTB SpeedDisc Double-Wall
Hubs: Formula
Tires: WTB VelociRaptor - 26" x 2.10
Headset: Aheadset STS-2K
Cockpit Set: Kalloy Alloy
Saddle: WTB Pure V Race
Pedals: Wellgo Platform w/ Toe-Clips

07' ALP 550 Pre-Launch Special: $469
Fork: Manitou Axel Super Lockout w/ Air* 80mm Better
Shifters: Shimano Alivio Better
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore Better
Crankset: Shimano Alivio (42/32/22T) Better
Cassette: Shimano HG50 8-spd (11-32T) Better
Brakes: Hayes MX-4 Mechanical Disc Brakes Better
Levers: Hayes HML Better
Cockpit Set: UNO Alloy Better
* shock pump required

If you need more help, feel free to ask..........

Jake :ihih:

Attachments

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
taikuodo,

Either bike will serve you well. With your budget being as it is, only you can make this final decision. I really can't answer your question on the RS Dart fork, maybe someone with the knowledge will chime in and lend a helping word of insight.

The Pre-Launch will be ending soon, the exact date I cant say. Maybe you should send IBEX an e-mail and ask your questions before the prices bump-up. Click> [email protected] or call 1-888-741-1464.

Good luck on your quest :thumbsup:

·
Registered
739 Posts
taikuodo said:
Gah, I can't decide whether or not to spend the extra $100. I'm a teen, I have a few hundred saved up, and $500 would be "pushing the envelope" so to speak. PLUS the extra cost of a shock pump.
Weigh 130, 5'9'.
My perceived advantages of the 550 are
The Air fork, better crankset, hayes mx-4.

What are the advantages of Hayes MX-4? I really only need V brakes, so I don't care if it's more powerful, but how about component durability?

I don't think ill mind the Truvativ Isoflow, I'm lightweight anyways. Am I right or not?

The biggest upgrade is the fork, which is..
2007 Manitou Super Lockout 80mm vs a Rockshox Dart 1 (By the way, is this 100mm or 80mm.)

I don't think any big drops will be it's use, but mainly I need plushiness for small bumpy terrain. Is the Rockshox Dart 1 any good for entry level?
here is how is see it

the 550 is $500 after shipping .... now, I'd spend the extra bill and get the 550 over the 450 ...

it is really worth it, the dart 1 is pretty low level ...

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
07' Alpine 550
IBEX website said:
For riders inclined to take on the most rugged of gravity-challenged terrain, the IBEX Alpine 550 provides the cutting-edge stopping power that only disc brakes can provide. For 2007 we're proud to add Hayes new MX-4 mechanical discs to the 550. Combine that with an ultra-reliable Shimano Alivio drivetrain (including an upgrade to Deore on the rear derailleur), prime 6061 tubing, and a Manitou Axel Super Lockout suspension fork (w/ Manitou's air assist option included), and you have one of the most complete mountain bikes ever made.
The meticulous craftsmanship of the IBEX Alpine 550 will hold its own against hardtails that cost hundreds more. For a very reasonable investment, you can have a top-quality Shimano Rapidfire and Hayes disc brake equipped mountain bike primed and ready for the roughest rides. Check out the specs and you'll see the close attention paid to every detail. If you have your heart set on an MTB you can love... at a price you can live with, the Alpine 550 has it all!
Alivio shifters are RapidFire :thumbsup:

Fork: Manitou Axel Super Lockout w/ Air* 80mm
Shifters: Shimano Alivio
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore
Crankset: Shimano Alivio (42/32/22T)
Cassette: Shimano HG50 8-spd (11-32T)
Brakes: Hayes MX-4 Mechanical Disc Brakes
Levers: Hayes HML
Cockpit Set: UNO Alloy
* shock pump required

·
Yasco
59 Posts
Alpine 450 that I ride is much different that the one Ibex sells now under the same name, It seems they dropped model 350, but new 450 is the same as old 350 with the addition of disc brakes. It technically means that drivetrain and shifters have been downgraded. I also think that Marzocchi MZ Comp fork was better than the Dart 1.
So, I recommend spending more now on Alpine 550 or get a used Alpine 450 if anyone wants to sell it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.