Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
built the bike - crossed the alps - survived


just a few impressions from the 6 day trip

not exactly action-packed, just some geology porn
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
newton said:
built the bike - crossed the alps - survived

just a few impressions from the 6 day trip

not exactly action-packed, just some geology porn
great pics! thank you for sharing.
do you have any idea on which tectonic or stratigraphic units you crossed? I plan to have some rides in the Martigny area later in August with the sasquatch. I had some great day trips in the Alpstein and Bötzberg area (folded & unfolded tertiary & jurassic formation) recently.
Despite the long wheelbase the bike is pretty well maneuverable in needle turns!
Any more "Landschaftspornos"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
geology

ritzelflitzer said:
great pics! thank you for sharing.
do you have any idea on which tectonic or stratigraphic units you crossed?
Any more "Landschaftspornos"?
I have no idea at all to be honest.
the only ocasions I get to observe the geology in detail is when my face hits a rock.
I usually try to avoid that. ;)

the only thing I noticed was that the mud I found on my bike at the end of allmost every day had a slightly greenish colour.
might be because of all the cows surrounding the trails, though. ;)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KDK said:
WOW !!! Absolutely fabulous pics.

How many kms did you do in these 6 days ??
it were about 420 km and roughly 7500 m climbing which makes it a pretty small alpencross.
But I think I cought the virus and will definetely try a bigger one next year.
 

·
Bon Vie
Joined
·
624 Posts
Stunning views, we certainly don't have anything like that in the Midwest. Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for the pics.
 

·
Brass Nipples!
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Beautiful!

Great pics, please give us some more information:

Where did you start and finish?

Who guided the tour, or did you do it yourself?

What would you do differently (or the same)?

This is going on my list of some-day trips!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
more details

Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
Where did you start and finish?
We started at Bad Wiessee at Lake Tegernsee about 80 km south of Munich, Germany and finished in a small town called Bassano del Grappa, Italy about 100km north of Venice.

We went via Kaiserklamm, Inntal, Zillertal, Pfitscherjoch, Pustertal, St. Vigl, Pederü, Limojoch, Falzarego Pass, Sospirolo and Monte Grappa
(Bold typo marking the major passes)
There may be english names for some of the places but unfortunately I know none of them.

Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
Who guided the tour, or did you do it yourself?
It was a guided to by ALPS Biketours (www.alpsbiketours.de)

Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
What would you do differently (or the same)?
Next time I will definately try to get into shape earlier (an better) in order to be able to pick a more difficult route to even more spectacular places and more technical terrain.

As I live in Munich I will try to start from my own door and finish at Lake Garda were we usually spend our bike holidays

And we'd like to do it without guide the next time.
I put a GPS-System on my wishlist for Santa.
 

·
Brass Nipples!
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Thanks for the additional information

I looked at the website, but I don't speak German. do you know if alpsbiketours has any English speaking guides?

I was actually born in Regensburg, but my dad was in the US Army and I left Germany when I was only one. I've never been back, but I will some day.

Is there a month that riding would be best?

Thanks again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
I looked at the website, but I don't speak German. do you know if alpsbiketours has any English speaking guides?

I was actually born in Regensburg, but my dad was in the US Army and I left Germany when I was only one. I've never been back, but I will some day.

Is there a month that riding would be best?

Thanks again
hi Bob

never thought i'd meet a fellow "Oberpfälzer" at this forum!
(the Oberpfalz is an administrational unit within bavaria where I was born. Regensburg is its capital)

There are quite a lot of agencies that offer Alpencross tours. I'm sure allmost every guide will speak english.
(I can give you the URL's for about 10 of them if you want. Just PM me)

Probably there are agencies in the UK, too if you are looking for an entirely english speaking lot. Maybe you should contact some of the UK folks on this forum about that.

Usualy you can do an Alpencross from June to September, depending on the weather.
But I've heard some trips had to be cancelled this year even in early July due to excessive snow on some of the higher passes!

Funny everybody fancies trips to remote locations.
We were planing a bike holiday in the US in fall. (had to cancel that)

I allways thought nobody in the US would care to go riding in Europe.
I allways imagined beautiful spectacular wide landscapes and real "wilderness" in the US and Canada.
Who would switch that for crammed Europe where you would run into a village around every corner and the wildest thing you might meet is an angry hiker on your trail?
 

·
A little of everything
Joined
·
478 Posts
Riva del Garda

Just a few pictures from my first trip to Riva del Garda. It's a really great place to bike. This was the place that made me realise, that you can use more suspension than a Blur can offer, now it's Heckler time.

the first picture is from the top of a 11km 10% climb. From there it's only going down :)

The secound picture is from the most wild ride I have ever been on, riding singletracks with about 300m down to one side.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anders said:
Just a few pictures from my first trip to Riva del Garda. It's a really great place to bike. This was the place that made me realise, that you can use more suspension than a Blur can offer, now it's Heckler time.

the first picture is from the top of a 11km 10% climb. From there it's only going down :)

The secound picture is from the most wild ride I have ever been on, riding singletracks with about 300m down to one side.
nice pics!

this are the "altissimo trials" right?
how far up did you go?

Have you been on the other side,too?
I ask because the Road from Riva to Pregasina is open again.
(it was closed for allmost 5 years but if this was your first trip there you won't have missed it)
Absolutely spectacular scenic ride!

Where did you stay in Riva?
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top