Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You all remember this nugget from Menso: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=582116

Well, I finally kept up with the SF Peninsula's weekly world championships, aka the Spectrum ride.

It's taken me 4 years. I don't care what Bob said about the pace being easy today.

I hooked up with Bob and his buddy over by Peets in Los Altos when another rider approached us and asked if we were joining the Alto Velo ride. Young guy on a Cervelo, visiting from Wisconsin, full team kit, cycling jockey thin, white shoes, etc. I guilted him into joining us with some friendly banter. That corporate speak translates to: "Full team kit, shaved legs, white shoes, B-ride!" Bob got a kick out of that. He probably doesn't talk to prospective clients that way.

We rode up to Arastadero and waited for the peloton. I made it a point to stay near the front of the rollers and let the riders pass me as needed. At least I wasn't off the back without any cover.

Saw one pro from Garmin just there for the training. You know, 30 mph uphill, no hands and on the cell.

My last attempt, 3+ months ago, I was dropped on Portola, before Alpine. I was off the back a bit today at that point, but didn't lose contact.

Got to show off the new bike and made some great business contacts at Peets after the ride.

Is the rest of Team Red Pill going to step up?

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
grumblingcrustacean said:
It just has to be asked, since I know the bulk of non-bikers on the peninsula dislike the spectrum ride, how many stop signs were blown through? Are the cops still out in force? ;)

Congrats on being able to keep up.

-j
He, he... of course every stop sign was blown. This is the entitled ride after all. I felt guilty riding 5 abreast so I abstain now.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
francois said:
He, he... of course every stop sign was blown. This is the entitled ride after all. I felt guilty riding 5 abreast so I abstain now.
I can honesty say that no stop signs were molested during the ride.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Great riding. I'm glad you think you can keep up with me now. :D Last year in Cool I couldn't keep up with any of you.
As soon as these storms are over, we'll have a Team Red Pill ride and dinner party to plan our racing season. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
762 Posts
rj2 said:
You all remember this nugget from Menso: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=582116

Saw one pro from Garmin just there for the training. You know, 30 mph uphill, no hands and on the cell.
nice descriptive story, but.... this may just be a sarcastic exaggeration, but...
no doubt there are idiots that actually MUST have their damn phone and find the need to yack while riding. hey, i find that SOOOO repulsive .....cell phone addiction to the max deserves to get run off the damn road :madmax:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
racerick said:
nice descriptive story, but.... this may just be a sarcastic exaggeration, but...
no doubt there are idiots that actually MUST have their damn phone and actually find the need to actually yack while riding. hey, i find that SOOOO repulsive .....cell phone addiction to the max deserves to get run off the damn road :madmax:
I exaggerated about the cell phone. It was a symbolic reference to his training ride equaling my race effort.

I've passed guys during races with earbuds. WTF.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.