Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to hear some of you impressions. Also how many of you switched and how many bought your Bird with it already installed.

Personally I like the extra peace of mind. It only added 100gm to the bike. Just wish it was gold ano.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I switched since I'm running coil on it. The AL rocker seems exactly the same as the carbon rocker, except heavier so far... I'm not sure what I would notice - the rear end is super stiff either way.

It would be nice if there were more holes for zip ties though - another set further up toward the front. Or maybe run the housing like SC does on the Nomad. A zip tie broke or came loose and the housing rubbed a little bit on my top tube. Grrrrrrrr.

·
Paterfamilias
777 Posts
While we were changing the carbon rockers we shipped many frames with Alloy Rockers. Now that the new Carbon Rocker is available all Firebirds ship with it.

Snowdrifter was one of the lucky ones to get the alloy at no extra charge...

If you want to run a Coil shock you will need the alloy rocker, and it will cost about $200.

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
dan23 said:
While we were changing the carbon rockers we shipped many frames with Alloy Rockers. Now that the new Carbon Rocker is available all Firebirds ship with it.

If you want to run a Coil shock you will need the alloy rocker, and it will cost about $200.
Will it still be a free upgrade for those who will eventually break the new carbon rocker?? :confused:

I was quite pleased at the idea of an Alloy rocker, now I'm a wee bit nervous, you should consider offering it as an option at no charge, just a thought??!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
dan23 said:

How much for a carbon rocker? I want to have a Carbon rocker for my air shock.

·
Paterfamilias
777 Posts
The new Carbon rocker has a better carbon layup, and it is thicker at each attachment point. It has surpassed all testing standards and is far stronger. Ask Kenny he tested it...

Due to the increase in carbon at certain points on the rocker, you can not run a coil over with the carbon rocker.

You can order your Firebird with an alloy rocker from your dealer, increase at retail will be around $80 to $100.

Cost on just the new carbon rocker will be around $120.
Alloy Rocker $200.

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
dan23 said:
The new Carbon rocker has a better carbon layup, and it is thicker at each attachment point. It has surpassed all testing standards and is far stronger. Ask Kenny he tested it...

Due to the increase in carbon at certain points on the rocker, you can not run a coil over with the carbon rocker.

You can order your Firebird with an alloy rocker from your dealer, increase at retail will be around $80 to $100.

Cost on just the new carbon rocker will be around $120.
Alloy Rocker $200.
Cool sounds like a plan, thanks for the info. Order bike comes with new carbon, then order the Alloy rocker just in case - puuuurfect! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
dan23 said:

anyone has a pic of the NEW carbon rocker??

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Here's a shot of the new carbon rocker and the alloy. The original carbon version is very similar in size to the alloy so you can see where material was added. It's kinda hard to see in the pics but the amount added comes out to approx. 3mm more thickness around the bearing.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So here's the million dollar question. If you added more material to the new rocker (no doubt making it heavier) is there any real weight savings over the alloy. The alloy was only 100 gms more to begin with.
I'm starting to think the whole carbon rocker thing is just a gimick. Why bother.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I've been running the new version carbon for a while now. Can't remember when I got mine as it was an early sample (Sept-Oct?). The weight gain from the original rocker is approx. 25 grams whereas the alloy rocker adds approx. 115 grams so yeah, fairly minimal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.