Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my bikes have stainless steel chainring nuts. When I was litening my Bonty I picked up a set of alloy nuts. The guy at my LBS recommended I leave one steel nut on in case the bolts failed; hearing that I decided not to install them. Anyone here use them? Any problems? Any failures?

1G1G, Brad

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,546 Posts
Zanetti said:
Alloy chainring bolts..... what could go wrong if one breaks? ;)
Well I guess that answers that question. :p

Hey Zanetti, is that your bike in the photo? It looks like it was missing a couple ring bolts before the ring folded. I'm curious because not so long ago somebody (don't remember who) posted a picture of a folded Surly stainless ring claiming they're lame. The carnage looked similar... but I think the other one was a 4-bolt. In any case I wonder if it wasn't proper for whomever to put the blame on Surly's stainless ring for folding. Cranks have multiple bolt holes for a reason... :rolleyes:

--Sparty

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
I've ran them on my bikes for years and never had trouble.... doesn't mean you wouldn't though... just saying... I've never had a problem with - shimano must not either as Dura Ace and XTR cranks come with alloy bits holding the chainrings on....

That crank looks like the crank gave way - it broke the crank where the granny ring bolts are supposed to be... maybe the ring came loose first via alloy bolt shearing - but that total impact trashed the cranks as well...

FF

·
from the east
288 Posts
I wouldn't bother...

But if I really cared about the weight, I'd use just the aluminum "sleeve" half, and stick with the steel bolt.

As that photo shows, you don't need to lose all your bolts to have a problem. I think the bike shop guys' idea is silly.

Eric.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
Sparticus said:
Well I guess that answers that question. :p

Hey Zanetti, is that your bike in the photo? It looks like it was missing a couple ring bolts before the ring folded. I'm curious because not so long ago somebody (don't remember who) posted a picture of a folded Surly stainless ring claiming they're lame. The carnage looked similar... but I think the other one was a 4-bolt. In any case I wonder if it wasn't proper for whomever to put the blame on Surly's stainless ring for folding. Cranks have multiple bolt holes for a reason... :rolleyes:

--Sparty
Not my bike, just a photo I found on the web some time ago.

It would appear the bolt closest to the arm failed first, then the cascade of failures happened afterward -- the broken mounting tab and one other bolt failing. Just a guess.

I'd bet the tab would not have broken if a granny and outer ring were installed. The load would have been carried partially by the inner/outer rings. This is probably why Shimano can spec aluminum bolts on their high end cranks -- they assume the end user will keep all the rings installed.

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
IMO it is not worth the weight savings. Unless your going waaay weightweenie, there is no real reason to do it. I've listened to them squeek/broken/retorqued/cracked quite a few Al bolts in my day, and have seen quite a few others have problems. I've never seen Steel bolts be a problem. You don't have to go Huffy on the Steel chainring bolts either, you can find them in Stainless. Bolt them up and don't worry about them again, and when you want to loosen them don't worry about them being seized. And what is leaving one Steel one in going to do?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.