Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the alligator windcutters 180 front 160 back and after todays ride wasn't happen with them in the downhill sections my brakes was going out, is this because of the brakes or the rotor?? I have Shimano deore

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't think the windcutter is really designed for long, fast downhills, since they are so light >100g for the 160. If you were just overheating the back brake, you could try using more front brake, since it has more stopping power, using the 180mm rotor, and the front provides a more significant speed reduction.

You may want to look at a more substantial rotor that can hold more heat, than the windcutters if your brakes are fading.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I wouldn't use these anywhere with elevation gain . . .
This would entirely depend on the rider, the braking style, and the trails ridden.
I am on my second season with these and have had zero issues, but I only wieght 170lbs, and am a heavy front brake user. Since the front brake will slow you down more with less heat production, there is less overheating problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.