Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to vent my frustrations about alligator fortress cables. Namely the fact that they skimp on the housing length. If you run full length housings you'll need 2 damn kits just to have enough housing to run front and rear. Ran a full housing to the RD and had a whopping 14 inches left over to try to make it from the bars to the FD cable stop. I realize they're only $20 cables, but really would it have cost them that much to include another 16-24 inches of housing in their kits. To make it worse I now have 1 oddball silver/carbon cable and the rest black. Sucks b/c so far they are awesome cables functionality wise. :madman:

·
Training for vacation
306 Posts
Poor planning on your behalf does not justify a negative post on a product that you state works great. The lengths are posted on the website…

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
I doubt you'd find a made up cable kit with enough housing to run full length for front and rear, it's just the way it is.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
gte819s said:
Poor planning on your behalf does not justify a negative post on a product that you state works great. The lengths are posted on the website…
I agree.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
This complaint is like someone with a family of five complaining that dish sets always come in fours, so they're unfairy always have to buy an extra 3 place settings.

Kits are designed around the needs of the majority of buyers, with a bit to spare as a fudge factor. Including enough for two full housing runs would be incredibly wasteful, since so few people use it this way. Those with unusual needs shouldn't buy kits, but should buy what they need from open stock.

BTW- I have plenty of bulk Alligator kevlar reinforced housing, though I'm not sure it it'll cosmetically match yours. If you know how much you need I'd gladly sell you some at a decent price without the need to do a new kit.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i should of been a little more specific, since it wasn't poor planning that bothered me it was the overall principle. I always keep a roll of brake and derailleur housing handy just for that reason. My gripe is it would cost alligator all of maybe 30 cents to include another foot or so of housing. 3 years ago I would agree full run housings were very rare, but in the past year especially I've noticed a lot of new frames allow for full length housing, seems to me mfg would notice and include a little extra housings in their kits.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Give us a break. Principle has nothing to do with it. You shouldn't buy ANY kits then since don't think I have seen one that includes more than 1800mm of housing. Like was mentioned before the only issue here is poor planning on your part.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Nobody sells pre-packaged housing kits with full length runs of housing in mind. That is what bulk housing is for. How is that complicated?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
incorrect I know for a fact Gore makes atleast 1 full housing kit(I believe they actually make 2, but I've only bought 1 from them), which what I had on my last bike. The kit started with an "R", if someone really wants to call bs on it I'll go find the old box/packaging. Poor planning really wasn't the issue, as I indicated I had extra housing, so I was prepared. My only mistake was not addressing exactly what was bothering me in my original post. Almost every new or year old FS bike I've come across has full length housings, so I'd assume the majority of major mfgs would adjust to the change in cables by the bike frame mfgs.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
In that case... I'm even more confused why you are complaining about Alligator. You knew all that about housing length and you still bought a kit you knew would be to short?

I can understand posting about wanting more companies to make kits for full length, but that should be an entirely different kind of post than this one.

·
Registered
227 Posts
"Alligator Cables...never again..."

Yeah, because you bought cables you knew were NOT designed for a bike with full housings AND you were prepared with extra housing, but you are never going to buy Alligator cables again because of this?

LOL. Just ADMIT your first post was nothing more than a baseless rant and stop back-peddling.

:)

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
I agree with everybody here! Kits are made to fit frames and I don't see many frames that run full housings. I picked up a "kit" about a year ago and I'll admit that I'll never do it again... I think they are way over priced and kinda Gimmiky (is that a real word?) I used the SRAM flac jacket.... Didn't really impress me! but you live and learn!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts