Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have developed some pretty nasty Spring allergies here in Oregon. I almost feel like I am sick, but my energy level isn't quite as low as being sick. Anyone dealing with the same thing, and do you take OTC meds for race day? What about for days you are training?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Same here. I moved to Portland a couple years ago and my allergies have been awful. Last year things were so bad I got two sinus infections that left me ill for over two months. I've tried about every OTC option and the best I've found is Claritin or whatever generic equivalent you can find. I get no noticeable side effects in comparison to other options. Zyrtec also works okay but it made me terribly drowsy and had a weird affect on my appetite (always hungry). Another option is the nasal spray Affrin. You can only use it 2-3 days and it really clears up things.

Edit: I also do the NeilMed nasal flush thing when things are bad or I've been around a lot of dust or allergens. Could be just the placebo effect but it seems to help. Using distilled/boiled water is such a PITA though...

After that, there isn't much more that I've found to work. I'm allergic to about every plant, animal, and mold and I've tried most OTC and prescriptions available, including allergy shots. To add to the misery I have asthma so I have to manage my allergies wisely.

If you can deal with the side effects pseudoephedrine is by far the best and I use that when my allergies are out of control. Of course I have to go to another state to buy it. :rolleyes: I have no clue what the affect is on performance but I always feel fast. :eek:

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,914 Posts
alavert is the only thing that makes my brand new ragweed allergy tolerable

freaking could eat/live/shower in ragweed my entire life. But NOOOOOooooo just last year BOOM 1 month of head-stuffed misery. getting old sucks, I suggest not doing it...it's not popular

lucky for me no airway problems.....

1,328 Posts
Allergies and EIA. I'm taking singulair (mildly effective), flonase for maintenance. Also religiously flush out my schnoz with those neilmed packets/bottles you can get at costco/walgreens/cvs.

I believe (unsubstantiated/anecdotal) the netti pot thing has been responsible for keep nearly eliminating the annual spring/fall full blown sinus/respiratory infection.

ymmv

·
Registered
212 Posts
I dealt with the same issue few weeks ago week before first XC race of season. totally blew - couldn't get heart rate up with out starting to hack up all the drainage from sinuses.

of course this had to be on a techy ***** of a course, somehow landed 3rd - but man it sucked

·
Registered
654 Posts
Allergies and treatment options will vary as much as saddle choices and chain lubricants. I would suggest seeing a allergy doc and find out what you are allergic too. Then figuring out a treatment plan from there. For me...Zyrtec(Costco brand $35 for years supply) plus antihistamine eye drops plus carrying an inhaler is the best balance of minimizing the symptoms and still feeling well enough to get out and ride.

Cheers,
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.