Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the Northern section, but sometimes a good ride can fall apart rapidly. I was doing some exploring (ok, I had no idea where I was going) when I ended up in a grass field by a road - probably the same road with the parking lot. I took a teal colored trail back into the park. What a mistake! That was the longest hike-a-bike I've done in years. Nice overview at the top but a lot of pain to get there!

·
Registered
678 Posts
goldsbar said:
I love the Northern section, but sometimes a good ride can fall apart rapidly. I was doing some exploring (ok, I had no idea where I was going) when I ended up in a grass field by a road - probably the same road with the parking lot. I took a teal colored trail back into the park. What a mistake! That was the longest hike-a-bike I've done in years. Nice overview at the top but a lot of pain to get there!

Thats how you learn...to find your way around.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The teal trail is actually the NJ Highlands trail, or whatever they call it, and it is the only trail back there where bikes aren't allowed. No big deal though that you went on it, you didn't realize it, and you were lost.

There are a lot of trail markings back there, but up until now they've made no sense. This year, however, there are some "real" trail markings. One that I'm familiar with is the red trail, it is about 3.5 miles. Go from the Railroad parking lot about .5 mile or so and turn left (you'll almost be at the end of the lake), you'll soon come to an intersection and you'll see the red markings, you can go either right or straight, it doesn't matter, the trail loops back to that spot.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Allamuchy Trails

Hey everyone, I wanted to pass on someinfo and status of what is going on in Allamuchy these days. Now that I am writting this I realize that I should have done so sooner. So....

You are correct about the Teal Trail being the Highland Trail. However, the Highland Trail in Allamuchy is a multi-use trail. This has come right from the Park Superintendent. So to be clear, all trails in Allamuchy (that are on public property) are multi-use. I think this is a good thing.

Over the past year a project has been started to blaze major trails in the North and Deer Park Sections of the park. The project includes the creation on an interim map showing the trails, color of blaze, trail length, and contours. These maps have started showing up at the Trail Heads. There will be approx 24 miles of trail in the north section and 15 miles in Deer Park. The goal is to have the designated trails blazed by July 2005.

For those of you out there that do not know the official TM group for Allamuchy is The Chain Gang Mountain Bike Club. We are the JORBA affiliate for the Park and recognized by the Park Superintendent. We are authorized to conduct TM activities throughout the Park. I am not making this statement to make the Club sound or feel important. I would only ask that if someone is interested in a project that they come to us so we can present it to the Superintendent. There all there are no egos involved here! If anyone is interested in helping with trail maintenance, send me a PM and I will add you to the list. The next TM date will be later in June. Just an aside, the Park Superintendent is very happy with the work that has been done in the park by Bikers.

Bob W.

·
Make some music
740 Posts
systematic exploration

I'm starting to get a pretty good handle on the trails at Allamuchy. Covered alot of ground last weekend. It was costly though, my rear derailluer got pretzeled by one of those sticks that supposedly will replenish the trail. Now my derailluer parts are replenishing the trail and I heaved the stick as far as I could. A hundred and fifty bucks later and I was back at it on sunday for the ride of a lifetime, I can't waite to hit this loop agian.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I got lost today...

...for a little while, at least. I set out from the Waterloo Road lot early this morning and rode the first few miles with a comfortable amount of familiarity from previous group rides before I started leaving some twigs at trail intersections figuring I could find my way back.

I got cocky and assumed that I would figure out a loop back to the lot. I was down by route 80 and had some discussion with a couple of riders who pointed me in the right direction and thought I could just head east and get back to my car. To make a long story short, I screwed something up and just as panic began to set in I crossed paths with some other riders who directed me to a paved road north of Cranberry Lake. I must have missed the entrance to the rail trail so I came south on 206 (incidentally there's some road construction and no shoulder for a stretch making things a bit spooky) for a while and right on to Waterloo back to the car.

Totaled just over three hours of riding on some excellent trails, but wished I knew where I was going. I'm sure I'll figure it all out in due time. Is there any rhyme or reason to this place as far as getting a bearing? And the bugs!!! Thanks to both groups of guys who hepled out with the directions.

·
hellrazor
39 Posts
always bring a a compass! thats the best way to navigate in the mooch until you get your bearings after riding there a while. (alot , actually) take a reading on the way out, check back to it time and again (especially at intersections) and when your ready to go back take the trail that most follows the reverse path you set out on. i.e you left going basically north-west if you left from waterloo road... so to get back you would basically want to go south-east this works for the most part but some of the trails do turn back on themself somewhat at times but you just have to stay with them till the next intersection and then take the best route from there.even if you do end up on a road you will definetly know which way to go from there w/ a compass.
c ya,
g

QUOTE=Mike679]...for a little while, at least. I set out from the Waterloo Road lot early this morning and rode the first few miles with a comfortable amount of familiarity from previous group rides before I started leaving some twigs at trail intersections figuring I could find my way back.

I got cocky and assumed that I would figure out a loop back to the lot. I was down by route 80 and had some discussion with a couple of riders who pointed me in the right direction and thought I could just head east and get back to my car. To make a long story short, I screwed something up and just as panic began to set in I crossed paths with some other riders who directed me to a paved road north of Cranberry Lake. I must have missed the entrance to the rail trail so I came south on 206 (incidentally there's some road construction and no shoulder for a stretch making things a bit spooky) for a while and right on to Waterloo back to the car.

Totaled just over three hours of riding on some excellent trails, but wished I knew where I was going. I'm sure I'll figure it all out in due time. Is there any rhyme or reason to this place as far as getting a bearing? And the bugs!!! Thanks to both groups of guys who hepled out with the directions.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
47 Posts
You know, I was going to write something about how to learn the trails there, but you know what, there is no easy way, you just have to go back there and deal with getting lost a few times, but what you must do is learn from your mistakes. With the new blazes coming this year things should be a bit easier.

I learned by going in from both sides, not just Waterloo but also the Tranquility Farms side.

If anyone is up for a ride on Tues. or Wed. during the day I'll show you around, or perhaps this coming weekend.

Also, Bob W asks for any suggestions, and I have one:

Blaze a trail that goes from Waterloo to Tranquility Farms and back.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Red Voodoo said:
You know, I was going to write something about how to learn the trails there, but you know what, there is no easy way, you just have to go back there and deal with getting lost a few times, but what you must do is learn from your mistakes. With the new blazes coming this year things should be a bit easier.

I learned by going in from both sides, not just Waterloo but also the Tranquility Farms side.

If anyone is up for a ride on Tues. or Wed. during the day I'll show you around, or perhaps this coming weekend.

Also, Bob W asks for any suggestions, and I have one:

Blaze a trail that goes from Waterloo to Tranquility Farms and back.

Red voodoo - Thats is sucha a great suggestion, that we will be finishing up this exact trail in the next week or so!!! :D If you have riden from Tranquility recently you will see the white tr starting from the road and going up to the wooden bridge. This trail will conect over to the Sussex Branch parking lot (which is blazed with white paint to the top of 4-Bump). The rangers have been putting out the interim maps at the sussex branch trail head. All of the trails to be blazed are shown on that map (approx 24 miles worth).

Keep the suggestions coming!!!! BTW, I got your e-mail and have added you to my list.

See ya,

Bob W.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cool, I figured you would blaze a trail from one side to the other. Is this trail a loop, it doesn't sound like it?

I do make a few suggestions:

I would like to see more of the downed trees cut out, actually all of them, but realize this would be a difficult task, so I start with the trail towards the Pebble (this trail will also take you to the Overlook of Waterloo), there are numerous downed trees that should be cut out, along with the downed tree at the Pebble. I know there are ride arounds many of these trees, but it would be better to not have to do this. At the pebble, there is a nice rock ramp, but that tree could be cut next to the rocks to allow those that want to take the rock ramp to do it and those that don't to not.

Also, on the Ice Cream Hill trail, I believe, (I know the trails there, just not the names, actually, I've given the trails my own names) but I do believe people call it Ice Cream Hill, in the vicinity of the new trail that was cut for the race last year that went from Ice Cream to the boyscout camp, there is a swamp area (not the creek crossing), with numerous paths that attempt to bypass the swamp, but none do. I would be great to get a bypass or a bridge or rocks or whatever around that.

It would also be nice to build a trail along the horse trail that was logged, since it is on private land it would be nice if we built a new trail that parallels it but not on the private land, if possible.

I'll be at the next trail maintenance as long as I am in town. I take a lot of pride in Allamuchy and ride there regularly, so I'm very interested in working there. I just rode Lewis Morris and Ringwood for a change of pace and could see the amount of trail maintenance that goes on there, and know there are enough riders that could do the same at Allamuchy. Blazing the trails will really help with this, as more riders will become comfortable going there now.

Mark

·
Registered
755 Posts
I vote to leave the logs...

IMHO,
I'd vote to leave any and all logs and down'd trees, as long as they're ramped properly. I think it makes Allamuchy harder and a bit more unique, most of the other parks around here have been "cleaned" up...
Allamuchy should remain a "difficult oyster to crack". Lewis Morris, Deer Park, the majority of Ringwood, even Kittitany have all been (pardon the expression) dumbed down, by well intentioned indivuals. Please don't take offense at that, it's not meant to be a dig, though Allamuchy is what it is. I've been riding out there for 14 years, and it's greatest attributes are it's rugged, challenging and unforgiving nature.
Okay I'll step down off of the soap box...
P.S.
there's a rumor floating around about 4 middle aged, overweight, guys who are planning to race WaWayanda this weekend....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ryder X, I agree with you 100%, the issue is the second part of your sentence "as long as they are ramped properly" so what I am referring to as needing to be cut out is trees that are not ramped properly, or ramping is not even possible. So what is proper? I am not sure, because some people are more skillful than others, but I would at least start with the premise that the ramp should make it possible to cross the tree in both directions. Second, I would say the tree should be able to be crossed by a decent percentage of riders, not even 50%, maybe even only 10 or 20%, but what I'm getting at is that you shouldn't have to be a trials rider to be able to do it. Third, I would say to ramp properly the ramp has to be secure, and not such that every other time you go over it the logs/rocks are out of place. There are only a few ramps out there that I can think of that don't meet this criteria, most of the trees I am referring to are not ramped at all, nor are they candidates for ramps.

I agree too that many of the other places have been dumbed down, and what makes Allamuchy difficult is what makes it special. So yeah, let's keep the trees that are ramped properly, but get rid of those that aren't ramped or done properly.

·
Registered
678 Posts
RyderX said:
IMHO,
I'd vote to leave any and all logs and down'd trees, as long as they're ramped properly. I think it makes Allamuchy harder and a bit more unique, most of the other parks around here have been "cleaned" up...
Allamuchy should remain a "difficult oyster to crack". Lewis Morris, Deer Park, the majority of Ringwood, even Kittitany have all been (pardon the expression) dumbed down, by well intentioned indivuals. Please don't take offense at that, it's not meant to be a dig, though Allamuchy is what it is. I've been riding out there for 14 years, and it's greatest attributes are it's rugged, challenging and unforgiving nature.
Okay I'll step down off of the soap box...
P.S.
there's a rumor floating around about 4 middle aged, overweight, guys who are planning to race WaWayanda this weekend....
Who you calling fat?!?!?!?
:D

·
Registered
678 Posts
Red Voodoo said:
Cool, I figured you would blaze a trail from one side to the other. Is this trail a loop, it doesn't sound like it?

I do make a few suggestions:

I would like to see more of the downed trees cut out, actually all of them, but realize this would be a difficult task, so I start with the trail towards the Pebble (this trail will also take you to the Overlook of Waterloo), there are numerous downed trees that should be cut out, along with the downed tree at the Pebble. I know there are ride arounds many of these trees, but it would be better to not have to do this. At the pebble, there is a nice rock ramp, but that tree could be cut next to the rocks to allow those that want to take the rock ramp to do it and those that don't to not.

Also, on the Ice Cream Hill trail, I believe, (I know the trails there, just not the names, actually, I've given the trails my own names) but I do believe people call it Ice Cream Hill, in the vicinity of the new trail that was cut for the race last year that went from Ice Cream to the boyscout camp, there is a swamp area (not the creek crossing), with numerous paths that attempt to bypass the swamp, but none do. I would be great to get a bypass or a bridge or rocks or whatever around that.

It would also be nice to build a trail along the horse trail that was logged, since it is on private land it would be nice if we built a new trail that parallels it but not on the private land, if possible.

I'll be at the next trail maintenance as long as I am in town. I take a lot of pride in Allamuchy and ride there regularly, so I'm very interested in working there. I just rode Lewis Morris and Ringwood for a change of pace and could see the amount of trail maintenance that goes on there, and know there are enough riders that could do the same at Allamuchy. Blazing the trails will really help with this, as more riders will become comfortable going there now.

Mark

Mark,

The White Trail - Waterloo/Rt 517 Trail is a point ot point trail. On the new map you will see that if something in a loop it will be called a loop and if it is point to point it will be called a trail.

Downed trees, sorry but all trees will not be cut out. MArk, I think we had this conversation on the trail last year. This was on the Rt 517 side of the park. I am that guy with the BOB trailer. As Ryder X stated this is what Allamuchy is about. Also, we ride Mountain Bikes, not road bikes. Point being is that sometimes its ok to get off the bike and walk around/over something. If the tree is unridable or can not be safely ramped, it will be cut out. Part of the chalange is to ride over things, if one cant make it at first once skills are developed perhaps it will be ridable next time. We have to think about all users in the park and what will please most, not all. I am not trying to be inflexable here its just that you cant make everyone happy, but if you can make most...your on the right track.

The wet bit at the base of ice cream (just to the west). There is a very nice bypass around this. This has been extablished for the past few years on the south side of the trail. Also, this by pass is blazed. Some folks and the f#@&ing Quads will still go through the middle.

I think I know the sectionof trail that you are talking about (for locals this is near the "W" trail and at the bottow of turny-bermy. This is a project possibly for this fall. We have discussed this with the Park and have permission to do this.

·
www.justthebonnet.com
1,475 Posts
Please save the trees!!!! Allamuchy is one of the few areas to ride that is very difficult due to the downed trees. Even the trees that are not ramped, they are still managable to get over. If we "dumb" this park down it would loose its luster as a difficult ride. The solution is not making it easier to ride, the solution is becoming a better rider which takes time and practice and is never mastered no matter how long your ride. Thats what makes allamuchy great, it will humble you, and make you a better rider each and every time you ride there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't you dare touch those trees!!!!! :mad: And thumbs down on cutting a notch to "make it earier" fro those who can't ride the ramp. There is nothing wrong with having to walk now and then. Several years ago one of my favirote ramped logs that I used to call the rainbow tree (because the ramp was nicely arched like a rainbow) was removed from the section of trail the leads to kidney stone. This was a great tree, and although it looked intimidating, it was very ridable, and quite fun. I can't tell youhow many times I walked that ramp until one day.......whoooo hoooo, I made it. I don't know who removed it, but what a shame! Please don't do this to the other logs and trees, 'cause let me tell you.....what a thrill it is when you finally clear that ramp you've been trying for so long.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mother nature was here first!

Dont change the trail to suit your riding style or needs. Go someplace else, ride then ride it again and again until your skill develop. Then come back and try again. I remeber the first time I went up a mountain in NC. I only made it all the way up after lots of riding. What you propose by cutting the trees is no different then quitting the frist time I didnt make it up and going out and buying a motor bike! You cheapen the ride if you dont work for it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree, leave the trees

I agree 100% with what everyone is saying about leaving the trees, what I am referring to are the trees that are not ramped nor are they candidates for ramps. I agree that Allamuchy should retain its rugged character and that getting off your bike every once in a while is not such a bad thing. I also agree that sometimes a bypass around a downed tree isn't a bad thing either. This is the type of riding I enjoy and that's why I ride Allamuchy several times a week. I am by no means saying that the riding should be made easier, I am only referring to stuff that is NOT rideable. Some trees, however, do need to be cut out, and this goes on every single spring, there are trees that fall in the winter that need to be removed, I'm not suggesting anything beyond what is already the status quo there. For instance, on the newly blazed Purple trail, on the climb from Tranquility, there is a big tree crossing the path, it is not a candidate for ramping, this would be somthing I'd suggest to be cut out. Conversely, at the top of the hill, there is a sweet little log ramp, leave it be, it is a great obstacle that should be kept. I also still think the tree at the pebble could be cut in a way that if you want to take the ramp you can and if you don't, you can still go on the trail (this way everyone is happy), it is simply not rideable from the downhill side up. I'm not suggesting notching it or making it an easier ramp, I'm saying leave the ramp there for those that are going downhill and can take the ramp, and make a bypass for those going uphill, because you simply cannot take the ramp uphill. From the memorial, if you go towards Waterloo parking lot, there is a tree down at the edge of the pond, it isn't rideable, I would suggest this should be cut.

Bob, I remember meeting up with you, and I remember our conversation, and that trailer is sweet. I am not sure we are thinking of the same swamp area, it isn't that big of a deal even, it is really just a couple of steps, but I'm just thinking the trail would be better if it went around this (and perhaps you did put a trail around the side and I just need to become aware of it, or perhaps some quads came through and made things worse). Also, I was on the horse trail today and the trails around it (the trails that were used for logging last summer), the area that was logged last summer has come back really really well, I would say those trails are rideable again, so perhaps a new trail isn't necessary, but then again, the logging trails aren't on park property.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Red Voodoo,

Sounds like we are on the same page, thats great. The tree on the purple trail is marked to get cut, and the tree on the trail near the monument (Maple Leaf) is also on the list. Keep in mind that this trail is in the Boy Scout Camp and public use is limited to the monument and then making a rt going past the pond and uphill. Based on other relations ships we I have the ok to take care of those trails as well. *****This part is for everyone reading this post...This is an unofficial policy, lets keep this open and not ride in the rest of the camp!!!****

Not sure of which wet spot you are talking about. Regarding the horse trail, I think this is the double track that goes on to Church prop and then comes back. We will be rerouting this in the future as I stated. Also, keep in mind that any of the lower double track in this area are private prop as well. Easy way to know this is if it was logged it is private, the State has not logged any of the Park.

The log next to the Pebble, based on the respose this tread has gotten and my own feelings, I would say this is going to stay. And yes this is ridable in both directions. Can we sure this up, yes. Just another project to add to the list.

See you out there,

Bob W.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts