Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
I think most peps . . .

want a Demo 8 rather than a Demo 9 (lighter, more nimble, and can come with a Fox DH 40)

I started with a D9, for me it was the 26 inch rear wheel, "newer" design, and 888, whereas with a BH you have 24 inch rear wheel, "older" design and Jr. T so I went for the D9

·
Registered
724 Posts
Other than th 24 inch wheel for racing I feel the Big Hit is quite excellent.
Demos are probably idolized because they are the new thing plus I for one love the craftmanship.
They look very nice IMO as do Big Hits.
Components are also better in some specs
People just feel they need the best/most expensive :confused: :)

I will keep my Big Hit for quite a while :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well the Demo was primarily made for DH but people have started using them as FR bikes. Were as the BigHit was made for the sickness on the shore ect... Thats why it got its name the BigHit.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
I sat on one and pedalled it around for a bit a few weeks ago, maybe its the way it was setup but the geometry and thick suspension felt similar to the bighit. I don't know if it "rides" better but from a parking lot test IMO it felt very similar.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
i haven't yet seen one demo in socal.... but mainly cuz i haven't been to my local trail in like 3 months, and that that is also dirt jumping....

people probably don't need a demo in LA anyway (except for a few trails around here), unless i'm missing something. :confused:

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
....?

jazzy jibber said:
Big hits are the most homosexual bike on the planet next to a banshee.
What the hell's that supposed to mean?!? Ever ride either, or are you just throwing your assumption out there? Or do you secretly want one of each to cover something up? Don't ask, don't tell....that's what I say, and even the military adopted that one.... ;)

·
Registered
637 Posts
BigBadHucker said:
Plus i got my 2 way 36.45 lbs with deemaxs
seriously, learn to spell. Big hits are awesome, they are inexpensive and are very durable and well designed. Besides, Demo bikes have swingers. Swingers are horrible. The only draw back of the Big Hit is the assymetrical rear end. Every wheel needs to be redished :mad: .

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
yeah

I have owned a big hit with super T (04 all) for over a year. 3 months ago I got a demo 8.

VERY large Difference. Night and Day to me.
Benefits of Demo:
-Stronger(yes I have seen 2 broken big hits.)
-Faster!!(26" rear wheel[huge difference, don't let people lie about this], longer wheelbase for lots more stability at speed and in air, lower CG== faster turning)
-Stiffer(Way more rigidity means back end is very controllable and can rail corners)
-Lighter(Yup this only applies to a demo 8. The bighit had lots of extra aluminum)
-Plusher(More travel, Longer shock stroke per travel and rigidity means intiates faster, moves easier)
-Little More Ergonomic (Lower standover, lower CG)
-Better Finish(The coating lets mud just drop off and takes more abuse [no shattering])
- PEDALING (Night and Day. Geometry lets you manual EZ and get on the pedal point)

Drawbacks:-Demo 9 is a pig, but bombproof.
-Expensive, but worth it
-Lots of linkages == high performance. but also means every year, new bearings.
-Hard to adjust shock (Demo tool nearly makes up for this, it is soooo sick).
-Unlike bighit, can't change travel, although not that big a deal because bighit only changes an inch (demo can change geometry).

Don't get me wrong, the bighit is an excellent bike for huckers/freeriders/cash strapped, but it can't do DH race unless it is a hucking course. I loved the bighit but once I rode the demo for a week, I can't lie. The demo is much different and takes a while to get used to. I love my demo.

·
Registered
637 Posts
j6105 said:
I have owned a big hit with super T (04 all) for over a year. 3 months ago I got a demo 8.

VERY large Difference. Night and Day to me.
Benefits of Demo:
-Stronger(yes I have seen 2 broken big hits.)
-Faster!!(26" rear wheel[huge difference, don't let people lie about this], longer wheelbase for lots more stability at speed and in air, lower CG== faster turning)
-Stiffer(Way more rigidity means back end is very controllable and can rail corners)
-Lighter(Yup this only applies to a demo 8. The bighit had lots of extra aluminum)
-Plusher(More travel, Longer shock stroke per travel and rigidity means intiates faster, moves easier)
-Little More Ergonomic (Lower standover, lower CG)
-Better Finish(The coating lets mud just drop off and takes more abuse [no shattering])
- PEDALING (Night and Day. Geometry lets you manual EZ and get on the pedal point)

Drawbacks:-Demo 9 is a pig, but bombproof.
-Expensive, but worth it
-Lots of linkages == high performance. but also means every year, new bearings.
-Hard to adjust shock (Demo tool nearly makes up for this, it is soooo sick).
-Unlike bighit, can't change travel, although not that big a deal because bighit only changes an inch (demo can change geometry).

Don't get me wrong, the bighit is an excellent bike for huckers/freeriders/cash strapped, but it can't do DH race unless it is a hucking course. I loved the bighit but once I rode the demo for a week, I can't lie. The demo is much different and takes a while to get used to. I love my demo.
nice... it just mystifies me why the two are being compared when there is such a large price difference.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Lucky13 said:
Yes, for some fun. I don't see much of a drawback in 24" rear. It allows me to slide over the back more and just plow through ****.
The major drawback of the 24 that most people I've talked too say it's because 24's are slower overall than a 26. However, that can be managed to some degree, by running a larger chainring than others. Most racers I know tend to run a 38 or 40t, so I run a 42 which effectively gives me similiar gearing to a 40t due to the offset wheel size.

Anyhow, I was just curious. Most guys that race on BH's tend to complain about the speed being slower, that's why I asked. Peace out.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.