Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 490 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In conversations with people, Mantis seems to be one of the most sought after classic brands, along with Yeti & Fat Chance. I suppose it makes sense geographically, and with respect to their focus. Mantis being the cool west coast builder making wild innovative strides, Fat Chance being the east coast builder making traditional, almost puritanical, but equally masterful bike art, and Yeti, right in the middle, offering a (possibly more) stable balance of innovation and quality.

Well, it only seems fitting, we have good Yeti & Fat threads, and I know there are a few members here who have Mantiss, and many others who like em. Plus, there's the small matter of my friends polished one, which is up on ebay at the moment, due to a suprise addition to the family...

A photo of my own work in progress, which I'll update as it nears completion...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
The one on eBay looks nice. A bit pricey, but nice.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay okay

Yep, I know, I have some explaining to do. I figured seeing as how it's a 2nd generation Mantis (full aluminum), it was okay to build & ride it, after 10 years of waiting patiently in its box. Of course, it was horribly tempting to go crazy with Record OR and Grafton & Ringle bits, but I got to thinking, I'd sure like a bike I could actaully ride without worrying about. An xc softail with discs, a sturdy front end, but still light enough to climb, for colorado trail riding. I love to climb, but all the light climbing bikes I've had never descend worth a dang, and are even pretty scary in singletrack at speed. Usually it's due to the flimsy rockshox & superlight wheels. More than anything, I hate a wandering front end. The Mavic XL's are plenty light, with alum spokes, but excessively strong and stiff, with the straightpulls & 20mm thru, and the Marzocchi is built like a battleship. The fork rides about 1/2 height under sag, which doesn't screw up the geometry TOO bad, and has a quick lockout valve which settles about there and then locks in for long climbs. The rest of the build is a straightforward xc setup. So, it's a bike built to serve a specific purpose. Call it XC+. Not quite freeride, cause I don't jump off things, but should be good going fast for long periods at a time, over whatever comes up at fruita this year...

fsp

> Subject: New Skool!

> Pete,

> New Pro-Floater with big time fork, Shimano dual
> control, carbon riser bar? How can you call yourself
> Old Skool? Where are the thumbshifters? Where is the
> 2" of front travel? Where's the campy?
> Enjoy the freeride,

·
artistic...
7,601 Posts
if james bond rode a mtn bike...

flyingsuperpetis said:
In conversations with people, Mantis seems to be one of the most sought after classic brands, along with Yeti & Fat Chance. I suppose it makes sense geographically, and with respect to their focus. Mantis being the cool west coast builder making wild innovative strides, Fat Chance being the east coast builder making traditional, almost puritanical, but equally masterful bike art, and Yeti, right in the middle, offering a (possibly more) stable balance of innovation and quality.

Well, it only seems fitting, we have good Yeti & Fat threads, and I know there are a few members here who have Mantiss, and many others who like em. Plus, there's the small matter of my friends polished one, which is up on ebay at the moment, due to a suprise addition to the family...

this would be it..
did you machine a disc tab on rear?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
double-o cunningham

colker1 said:
this would be it..
did you machine a disc tab on rear?
Yep, had it cnc'd from 7075. 4 parts, 2 adjustable blocks on the inside, and two side plates to sandwich it all together around the hollow triangular dropout via a pair of chainring bolts, and the brakes own 2 mounting bolts. Allows for a bit of adjustability, and directs the load vertically onto the lower, more horizontal surface, instead of the thin angle brace above. Goes something like this...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Early Valkyrie

I have a late 80's x-Framed Valkyrie that I would love to show off but how do you post pics here? Any help would be appreciated. I tried to upload them as an attachment but I don't know if it will work.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Well I guess it did work. I will have to post some more pics. Unfortunately this frame has sat as a frame for the past 5 years after having a cracked stay repaired by Wade from Vulture Cycles. I think that she is starting to feel a little neglected.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Memories...

AKamp said:
I have a late 80's x-Framed Valkyrie that I would love to show off but how do you post pics here? Any help would be appreciated. I tried to upload them as an attachment but I don't know if it will work.
The Mantis Valkyries was one bike I definitely lusted after, mostly due to the looks, the trendy elevated chainstays and the promise of more standover height for my short self. If you get it built up, please post a pic and if anyone else already has one built up, likewise, let's see that beauty! :)

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
surlyVEE said:
The Mantis Valkyries was one bike I definitely lusted after, mostly due to the looks, the trendy elevated chainstays and the promise of more standover height for my short self. If you get it built up, please post a pic and if anyone else already has one built up, likewise, let's see that beauty! :)
We have a nice Valkyrie pictured @ http://www.firstflightbikes.com/1991_Mantis_Valkyrie.htm

and an earlier Mantis Sherpa @
http://www.firstflightbikes.com/1983_Mantis_Sherpa.htm

Jeff
First Flight Bicycles

·
Registered
94 Posts
flyingsuperpetis said:

Lovely bike.

Do you still have your Trimble?

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Mantis

Hangin' out with Richard C. back in the day was one of the highlights of my MTB experience! Going out on our trice weekly rides was often spectacular.

RC built frames for me, and I managed to break 'em from time to time. He considered me his "big test rider". At 6'5" and currently 238lbs. (200 at the time) I have no chance to disagree. Just one of those times in my life I would certainly like to re-live.

Those were the days, my friend!

Rolled down white sox, Tomac hi-top shoes, clips and straps......wow. And a double chainring to boot.....

Attachments

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
SkullCrack said:
Here's some shots of my Screaming V. Sadly, it won't be mine much longer as I've just sold it. A great ride...
you didn't happen to sell it to Tucker did you?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Holy smokes. You know, I used to dream about your life, whilst poring over mba's woefully in my Wisconsin ice-cave 9 months at a stretch. I'll bet you have some interesting pics...

Nice Photo, I'd frame that too! Tanks for the Mamries!

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Me?

I'm intrigued at your post, don't know whether to say thank you or QQQQ.

Mateo

flyingsuperpetis said:
Holy smokes. You know, I used to dream about your life, whilst poring over mba's woefully in my Wisconsin ice-cave 9 months at a stretch. I'll bet you have some interesting pics...

Nice Photo, I'd frame that too! Tanks for the Mamries!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pics of the 93 ProFloater

For those of you that requested em, here they are. I'll delete this post within 24 hours, cause such a big pile of graphics will likely choke the thread, & needlessly take up a bunch of space on mtbr's server. In the mean time, here it is...

Attachments

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Poof floater

The ProFloater era arrived, and Mantis, as we knew it....ended.

flyingsuperpetis said:
For those of you that requested em, here they are. I'll delete this post within 24 hours, cause such a big pile of graphics will likely choke the thread, & needlessly take up a bunch of space on mtbr's server. In the mean time, here it is...

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ach!

What? Seriously? I kinda thought it was an extension of where he was going with the stiff front/ soft rear theory of the beautiful xcr & flying v frames. Kinda suprised he reverted back to tubing for the proflo's front triangle though. Seems like the flying's monocoque front would have slipped right into place. That'd have been one wild looking bike. Can you imagine a more expensive bike to make?

...Shayne, don't you have some pics to post, to fill us in in the middle era? :D

I thought the end was when the fellas who snagged critical racing and (joes or crystal?) bought em, shut em down, and subbed out full alum copies instead.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
It is still the right XC profile for a dually

flyingsuperpetis said:
Man, that's still the profile that I expect with a XC-FS machine to this day. Would love to see/ride one of 'em, but living in Indiana makes that next to impossible.

JmZ

1 - 20 of 490 Posts