Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do all 2010 Stumpy HT Comps make that turkey gobble sound and vibes from rear brake? My small LBS acts like I'm crazy when I tell them it is a known concern. They keep promising I won't have to live with this, but my confidence level is very low since they have never heard of this phenomenon before.

It makes me sick that Specialized has such disregard for their customers that they keep running these off the assembly line for several years knowing that they make this horrific noise.

I have followed several of the turkey gobble fix threads with great interest. None of the free fixes have worked. I figured I wouldn't try the costly ones like alligator rotors until my lbs had another run at it.

My main point is that THIS IS NOT RIGHT! We are such loyal drones of "our company" we let them continue to build a defective product and we still love them!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
i find that running organic pads really helps. i tried sintered pads because they last a lot longer, but couldn't get them to keep quiet.

it is not specialized's fault that SRAM's (Avid) brakes make noise. though they do spec their products.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I too switched to organic pads and it pretty much cured the problem. It is definitely an Avid brake issue though and not so much the frame. My buddy swapped his rear G3 clean sweep rotor for the Avid "Soild Sweep" rotor, which has no holes in it and it cured his turkey goggle issues on his Trek.

·
And I'm out.
506 Posts
I ditched the G3 rotors for the G2 and I still had a wicked turkey gobble.... so a cool guy I work with gave me a set of Magura Louise.... ahhh... the bliss of silence!

My advice: Chuck the brakes for another manufacturer!!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Who cares if a new design is coming. Shame on AVID/SRAM for selling such a problem product. I love it when companies beta test product with cusomers.
Buy any other brake and watch the noise and vibration go away

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The new head tech at my LBS proclaims that he can fix this and that I don't have to live with it. Of course he is the same guy that said he never heard they were having a problem
We will see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
To breezin - my frame is a 19 inch.
To bikeandski - you are calling me clueless? WTF, check out some of the posts for this noise, some are 600 posts long, all *****ing about avid brakes. Do a search on rear brake noise and see what u get. You must be the new tech a my LBS who states he has never heard of avids having noise issues. Yeah I make your job a nightmare, I walk into your shop on a cold November night and drop serious cash on a pretty nice bike that you talk up about how much I will love having hydraulic brakes. You talk about a nightmare,try getting all excited about your your new bike and have the great head tech call u and tell u that u have to pay for new rotors and pads because u must have touched the rotor with your finger and contaminated it. What a joke. Please never post any more of your hate on my thread.

·
Registered
47 Posts
bikeandski said:
To the OP, it's guys like you that make working in a local bike shop a nightmare, are you really that clueless? This is a common issue with many different brake brands, not just Avid.
Wow really? You took the time to post this garbage? You're a disgrace to this community and your shop with that attitude. The guy owns a SJ with Avid brakes why the hell would he care about other bikes and brakes? What he is interested in is how many other SJ owners have having a similar problem with their Avid brakes. The answer is a lot... page after page of people having this exact problem with their SJ's and Avid brakes. Specialized even put out a Tech Bulletin on it:

http://service.specialized.com/asc/Content/Tech%20Pubs/Technical%20Bulletins/TB0219.pdf

Yet for most people this is not a solution. They end up going round and round with their LBS until they are forced to either live with the problem or start swapping out components to find a combination that works. Specialized has been shipping SJ's with this problem since at least 2009 and must figure that the number of affected people don't justify a change. They just make the LBS and consumer figure out how to find a fix for it. Which is a pretty crappy for both the LBS and the consumer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ha Breezin your awesome! That was a cool idea to post a video. That sounds exactly like my bike. It was funny when I took my bike to LBS and they were writing up the work order
They kind of intimated that having some noise out of disc brakes is normal. I froze right there. I said "wait a minute, let's just make sure I am not crazy here since it's my first bike with hydro disc". I insisted that the tech ride the bike 20 yards while the mgr and I watched. You could hear him brake from a block away and he said the whole bike vibrated. They decided to take listen to me and call SRAM and get the tech bulletin. Once they got the kit and installed it they said it needs new calipers. So now they are waiting for a new complete brake set, calipers, hoses, levers. They said they had to do this because the caliper wouldn't adjust correctly. We'll see when they get here. They have had the bike for a couple weeks. I have not gotten crabby with the LBS yet because they do great and tireless work in bike advocacy in this area.

·
Trying not to kill myself
391 Posts
I went to the alligator rotor and everything has been great since then. No back and forth with the dealer, no screwing around with different pad combinations - just silence. It cost me less than 20 bucks and about 15 minutes of my time, so I wouldn't consider that a costly fix at all. I agree that it's BS that we need to swap rotors for the bike to work as expected. But I'm a pragmatic person and I just wanted to ride rather than standing on principle and having the dealer repeatedly working on the bike.

·
Registered
47 Posts
gabe23 said:
I went to the alligator rotor and everything has been great since then. No back and forth with the dealer, no screwing around with different pad combinations - just silence. It cost me less than 20 bucks and about 15 minutes of my time, so I wouldn't consider that a costly fix at all. I agree that it's BS that we need to swap rotors for the bike to work as expected. But I'm a pragmatic person and I just wanted to ride rather than standing on principle and having the dealer repeatedly working on the bike.
Well you lucked out then. The problem is the first attempt at a fix does not always work for people. Often it takes a number of changes with trial and error before the problem gets truly fixed. I also am unable to just drop in a replacement rotor on the rear since mine is currently a 185mm and the wind cutters only come in 180mm. So I assume I'd need a different brake adapter as well. Again with no guarantee at all that this will work for my particular bike.

If there was a working solution that reliably fixed this problem I would just do it and be done with it. Which I guess is exactly what Specialized is banking on... its a great deal for them. Let's not fix the problem... the LBS and consumer will deal with it and we won't have to worry about it. MTBR is an awesome resource for people and a lot of trial and error fixes have been tested on these forums by the community. If you start working though the list by changing rotors, pads, brake adapter brands, squeal out, weights, dampening materials, different brand of brake, etc. , etc. you will eventually find the solution that works for you. How crappy of a deal is that for the people that don't know about MTBR? They are just stuck with this problem and the never ending trips to the bike shop as they fumble though attempted fixes.

I would consider this a significant design/build defect that clearly impacts a sizable number of bikes they have been shipping over at least the last 3 years. This is basic stuff man... at the very least a $2000+ bike should roll and stop well don't you think? Hell I'd expect that out of a $100 Walmart bike to be honest.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.