Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I read the Regional Order
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd949149.pdf
and it mentions being on National Forest System roads is prohibited.

How to distinguish a Forest System road from one that isn't? Here's a USDA link:
USDA Forest Service Roads

We have reservations for Yosemite this weekend. Yosemite tends to do what they like, and not follow the NF's, so I won't be surprised if they stay open. One could argue the fire risk is reduced with their reduced capacity / reservation system.

If they are open, I was planning on cycling from Tuolumne Meadows down to Lee Vining and back, however Inyo NF starts where Yosemite NP ends. I can't imagine Highway 120 would fall under a NF prohibition, but don't want to take a bike if I'm not going to be able to ride it.

Otherwise, keeping my fingers crossed that I can take my youngest son on his first overnight backpacking trip to Clouds Rest. Air quality in Tuolumne Meadows has appeared to be (reasonably) good up to this point.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

How to distinguish a Forest System road from one that isn't? Here's a USDA link:

We have reservations for Yosemite this weekend. Yosemite tends to do what they like, and not follow the NF's, so I won't be surprised if they stay open. One could argue the fire risk is reduced with their reduced capacity / reservation system.

If they are open, I was planning on cycling from Tuolumne Meadows down to Lee Vining and back, however Inyo NF starts where Yosemite NP ends. I can't imagine Highway 120 would fall under a NF prohibition, but don't want to take a bike if I'm not going to be able to ride it.

Otherwise, keeping my fingers crossed that I can take my youngest son on his first overnight backpacking trip to Clouds Rest. Air quality in Tuolumne Meadows has appeared to be (reasonably) good up to this point.
Not all roads in/through national forests are forest system roads. FS roads generally have designations like 10S22. State highways and other local jurisdiction roads are different. Just don't go too far off the road when you have to pee.

·
Registered
123 Posts

No way would they close 120 due to a National Forest closure. I'd be pretty certain that you'll be able to cycle no problem. But making use of local campgrounds and facilities along the way may be a problem. Good luck.

This is gonna affect a LOT of people and ruin the Labor Day holiday for lots of people. Not to be callous, as all of South Lake Tahoe and west shore were evacuated today. Sucks all around.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think you'll be lucky if you don't encounter bad air quality in the coming few days (though it does seem OK around Lee Vining at the moment). My own opinion is that there is enough to do around Tuolumne Meadows, including your planned hike/backpack trip to Cloud's Rest with your son, and I would leave the bike at home. I have done the climb from Lee Vining over Tioga Pass to Tuolumne Meadows (but not the descent). The views are the same as when you drive. I can say that I did the climb, but it's probably not the most notable climb I've done--or even the most notable ascent of that road that I've done, having once driven up at the tail end of a pretty intense thunderstorm. My friend, who did the descent, said that he ended up letting the bike roll because he got tired of braking. If it's windy it could be interesting.

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,446 Posts
Keep in mind National Forest are different than National Parks, National Seashores, National Recreation Areas, National Monuments, BLM lands, etc. Also different than all the state authorities (State parks, Demo Forests, etc.), County Parks, Open Space Districts, local parks, etc. Each makes their own decision, and some may follow the National Forest decision, but most likely won't.

So Yosemite is not closing due to this order. Neither is Point Reyes. Nor Marin Headlands. Nor the demo forests. Nor State Parks.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Keep in mind National Forest are different than National Parks, National Seashores, National Recreation Areas, National Monuments, BLM lands, etc. Also different than all the state authorities (State parks, Demo Forests, etc.), County Parks, Open Space Districts, local parks, etc. Each makes their own decision, and some may follow the National Forest decision, but most likely won't.

So Yosemite is not closing due to this order. Neither is Point Reyes. Nor Marin Headlands. Nor the demo forests. Nor State Parks.
No, however their superintendents/management may follow the lead of others agencies. I wouldn't expect that of Yosemite (because I haven't seen them follow any others lead in years past), but wouldn't be surprised if somewhere like Auburn SRA shut down.

I did find this for Yosemite, though not on nps.gov yet
Yosemite National Park Announces Stage 2 Fire Restrictions Effective August 31, 2021

I'm not sure what it actually says (especially when Stage 2 definition on nps.gov/yose is different), but it is a far ways from suggesting the park would close.

·
Registered
324 Posts
We had an weird situation where the California National forest closures affected us in Ashland Oregon. Apparently the road in between the ski resort where the shuttle drops off and the start Time Warp resides in the Klamath National forest. There is a small portion of that road that crosses into the small tip of that forest that extends into Oregon, but not the ski resort or the actual trail. The ranger was there turning people away.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,733 Posts
I wouldn't count on the forests opening. We're coming into what is usually the worst time of year for fires and it's supposed to get windy again towards the end of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really? Looks like a cool down is in store for this week-end based on weather underground.

·
Registered
896 Posts
It's certainly cooling off at night up here at night. I was wearing sweat pants for most of today. But after a crazy fire season (...so far!) I would not be shocked if they left the forests closed just to be safe.

Pray for rain.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.