Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a new bike soon and saw this bike in the shop. Nice looking bike. Before seeing this and thinking 29r, I was and still am mostly looking at "26r" All Mtn bikes with 5-6" of travel and fairly slack head angles (67-68 degrees).

How are you all liking this bike for not only xc/trail cruising, but on more technical trails - ledges, rock drops and drop offs, a bit of hucking, technical climbs, steep chutes, etc?

also, tight switchbacks, up and downhill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
2011 stumpy fsr 29er. Does everything well. I rode 20 miles yesterday over rough terrain and it never checks up. Jumping is awesome and im 200 lbs and the wheels are still true. I would recommend this bike over and over again. Climbing is great and the big wheels kill the root gardens! I have no complaints, i also have spent time on a 2011 HT 29er stumpy,2011 epic 29er and 2010 26" stumpy so I have something to compare to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You

Velosoxraptor said:
2011 stumpy fsr 29er. Does everything well. I rode 20 miles yesterday over rough terrain and it never checks up. Jumping is awesome and im 200 lbs and the wheels are still true. I would recommend this bike over and over again. Climbing is great and the big wheels kill the root gardens! I have no complaints, i also have spent time on a 2011 HT 29er stumpy,2011 epic 29er and 2010 26" stumpy so I have something to compare to.
I appreciate the response. I may demo one and take it to several different trails and ride it hard to see if it's the right bike for me. It is a good looking bike, that's for sure. Although most of our foothills trails here are fast, and can be steep, but are not technical, we have areas with rock drop ins, and also some free - ridy type courses made with drop ins, etc.

I'm looking for a bike that can take steep descending nicely and doesn't feel like you're going too far forward. Descending is more important than ascending, but still need to be able to do long rides and technical climbs - the kind of climbs you have to use power and finesse, and sometimes get right on the tip of the saddle for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
i demo'd one this winter, great bike would recommend it over anything I've ridden. the only downfalls i had were that i was alittle tricky in the jumping department, not to sure on the hucking aspect (the biggest thing we have around here is about 3ft) but the bike handled everything else great. It was faster then i thought it would be and roots were nothing, almost felt like cheating
 

·
boomer
Joined
·
888 Posts
I've got the 2010 model and it's a ripper. I don't do big drops but the ones I do it works well. It took me a bit to learn how to load the brain but it wasn't too difficult. The transition from locked to open is seamless and automatic. Our trails are VERY rocky and it eats 'em up with no complaining. I'm also riding Crossmax's which lightened it up a bit. It's a solid bike front to back which I love compared to my old Heckler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right on!

okie_calvin said:
I've got the 2010 model and it's a ripper. I don't do big drops but the ones I do it works well. It took me a bit to learn how to load the brain but it wasn't too difficult. The transition from locked to open is seamless and automatic. Our trails are VERY rocky and it eats 'em up with no complaining. I'm also riding Crossmax's which lightened it up a bit. It's a solid bike front to back which I love compared to my old Heckler.
Calvin,
I see you're in Tulsa area. Do you know my Buddy Dave Johnson, he's a mtn biker who moved there from here (Boise) in 09 believe it was.
 

·
boomer
Joined
·
888 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
Calvin,
I see you're in Tulsa area. Do you know my Buddy Dave Johnson, he's a mtn biker who moved there from here (Boise) in 09 believe it was.
I don't know the name; I took quite awhile away from the bike :nono: and have been trying to get back up to speed but may have seen him; what's he ride? (Typical bike ho question eh?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okie_calvin said:
I don't know the name; I took quite awhile away from the bike :nono: and have been trying to get back up to speed but may have seen him; what's he ride? (Typical bike ho question eh?)
Glad you're back on the steed. I've been off many months myself. He rides a Turner RFX. He has a Yeti 575 too.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top