Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
syncros FLR DS23

i have searched, and everyone mentions the syncros/arrow ds28 (is that correct?) or the Mavic XM719 for aggressive XC/all mountain riding.

i'm happy to drop 400 bucks give/take for a new wheelset. i want as light as possible, but i like to hit some quite aggressive trails (3-4' drops) with the smaller bike for a little extra fun. very smooth rider, 5"/4.5" bike. are the above mentioned good choices, are there others that fit into the $4-500 range? is the hub choice more important than the rim?

edit: i have found syncros FLR DS23 Rims. does anyone have any experience with these, are they simply too light for AM riding?

thanks!!

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
My 2¢

ferday said:
i have searched, and everyone mentions the syncros/arrow ds28 (is that correct?) or the Mavic XM719 for aggressive XC/all mountain riding.

i'm happy to drop 400 bucks give/take for a new wheelset. i want as light as possible, but i like to hit some quite aggressive trails (3-4' drops) with the smaller bike for a little extra fun. very smooth rider, 5"/4.5" bike. are the above mentioned good choices, are there others that fit into the $4-500 range? is the hub choice more important than the rim?

edit: i have found syncros FLR DS23 Rims. does anyone have any experience with these, are they simply too light for AM riding?

thanks!!
If your budget is in the $400 - $500 range, I would suggest a custom wheelset by a pro wheel builder rather than a specific brand. You'll be able to specify exactly what you want out of the wheels and their strength to weight ratio will likely be better than anything you can get off the shelf.

Dave at www.speeddream.com makes great custom wheelsets.

Ken

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Chat @ Red Barn Cycles just built me a wheelset - hope bulbs, DT Swiss 4.1 disc rims, and DT Comp spokes. I can't wait to get em on :)

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
I would add the DT Swiss EX 5.1d. It's about 500g and has a 21mm bead width (4.1d is only about 16.5mm). This is going to be my next set of rims.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Hope Bulb Hubs / Mavic 717 disc

Hi everybody!

I'm Thinking build my new wheelset for mi bike with: Hope Bulb Disc - Mavic 717 disc rims and dt swiss champion spokes... is the righ choice? :confused: ;)

Thanks for your replay and help!

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
RUNNING_WILD said:
I'm Thinking build my new wheelset for mi bike with: Hope Bulb Disc - Mavic 717 disc rims and dt swiss champion spokes... is the righ choice? :confused: ;)
I definitely would not go with DT Champs. Straight gauge spokes on a ultralight XC rim doesn't make sense. If cost is the reason, I would rather go with less expensive rim such as Velocity VXC. The DT 14/15 Competitions or Wheelsmith DB14 would be recommended. Bulbs are good mid range hubs. I don't know what your price range is but Hope has the new Pro 2 hubs and they look very nice.

But more important than the components would be the wheel builder that you choose. Nice components that aren't built properly won't last. Also a good wheelbuilder can recommend parts that are appropriate for you and your needs.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I second the DT 5.1 rims.

My prefferance is to run the hope Bulb up front with the DT 5.1 (I like the bulb hub because you can switch between a q/r and 20mm thru axle easily. Makes for a versatile wheel and does not limit future fork choices.

In the rear I run a Hadle hub with a DT 5.1.

Makes for a reasonably light but very strong wheel set. You can go lighter, but IMO its one of the best combos for wheight and strenght.

(the Hadley front hubs are ver sollid as well)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Have run DT 5.1 & Mavic 717's...

My new 6" bike has DT Swiss 5.1's w/ Hope Bulb front & XC rear hub. Excellent strength to weight comprimise, IMO. The bike they are on is my 'do it all' (read-only) bike at the time, and those rims are suitable for 3' to flats drops or pedalling around town. Lots of places can build those up for ~420 or so using good spokes & above hubs.
I had the Mavic 717's on my liteweight 5" race rig, but those were NOT good for pretty much ANY drops. Too liteweight for the drops it sounds like you might be doing. I never felt confident on those rims, but I am ~ 190 w/ gear & ride some pretty damn rough trails w/ small jumps/drops/stunts.
Good luck!
JDub

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Homebrew said:
I would add the DT Swiss EX 5.1d. It's about 500g and has a 21mm bead width (4.1d is only about 16.5mm). This is going to be my next set of rims.
I just got a set of DT5.1/Hadley wheels built up by Larry at Mtn High Cyclery. Man, they are sweet. The Hadley hub engagement feels much faster than my WTB LaserDisc Lite hub, and the wider rim makes the 2.1 Nevegal and 2.35 Blue Groove have a nice footprint.

Thrilled with this wheelset so far, not as light as my Velocity/WTB Laserdisc wheelset, but that is the only drawback.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm gonna go with the following, so I'd appreciate it if you guys could give me your comments.

Rims: Now it boils down to either a XM819 or DT4.1
Spokes: DT Comp
Front Hub: Hope
Rear Hub: Hadleys (of course!)

Any pointers would be very much appreciated! Cheerio :D

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
kevinox73 said:
I'm gonna go with the following, so I'd appreciate it if you guys could give me your comments.

How about a set of Chris King Wheels?

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
kevinox73 said:

fwiw, I built up a super light set using DT240s and 4.1d rims and despite its feathery weight, they seem pretty bomber. The 4.1d is a tough little rim and weighs next to nothing.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
kevinox73 said:

I love the DT4.1 rims, and with the tubless conversion kit made for these rims, it works perfectly. Have run it on 2 bikes with ZERO issues. And with the tubless conversion kit will still be lighter than the 819s....plus, they are not French.

hard to answer since I dont know the bike, your weight, riding style, etc....but Comp spokes are great of course. Depending on your weight/riding style, you may be able to use Supercomps and save some weight. I weight 175 and run Supercomps on all but the rear drive-side, where i run Comps.

Hope makes great stuff, period. Hadleys are great too. Pretty much any top end hub is great as far as I am concerned and work as adverstised in general.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks heaps guys! I don't think I'll ever go with CK wheelsets, overpriced and overhyped IMO. I think the Hadleys 108 engagement is something to laud about, plus it appears that there is hardly any drag on them Hadleys.

I am bordering more towards them DT4.1d, the review seems pretty good for these rims. And thanks for the suggestions FoShizzle, supercomp spokes are now within my window of consideration. To top it off, I'll be using Salsa skewers and Quicknut. How's that?

·
Registered
61 Posts
My ride

Oh ya, I forgot to mention. I weigh in at 165pounds. I'm currently riding a HT and would be building a SC Superlight in March. Would be doing mainly offroad on this babe. ;) I'm not really into the aggressive stuff though. But that depends on you'd define aggressive. ;)

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
kevinox73 said:
Thanks heaps guys! I don't think I'll ever go with CK wheelsets, overpriced and overhyped IMO. I think the Hadleys 108 engagement is something to laud about, plus it appears that there is hardly any drag on them Hadleys.

I am bordering more towards them DT4.1d, the review seems pretty good for these rims. And thanks for the suggestions FoShizzle, supercomp spokes are now within my window of consideration. To top it off, I'll be using Salsa skewers and Quicknut. How's that?
glad to help....yeah, you can safely go Supercomps in my opinion given your info. May as well go with alloy nipples as well.

but dont forget to color coordinate :) to include the skewers and nipples!

·
Arnborg strik
658 Posts
AM 20mm front wheel

FoShizzle said:
glad to help....yeah, you can safely go Supercomps in my opinion given your info. May as well go with alloy nipples as well.

but dont forget to color coordinate :) to include the skewers and nipples!
Last night i just finished building up my "spare" AM 20mm frontwheel :D
The build is CK pewter 20mm 32holes fronthub,DT-SWISS black supercomp spokes,
DT-SWISS ex 5.1d rim, and 12 mm DT-SWISS black alloy nipples.
Weight is 896gram without rim tape.
The rim was very easy to build on, and the finish is very good.

The other frontwhhel i am running is a Hadley 20mm gold 32 holes, DT-SWISS ex 4.1d rim,DT-SWISS black supercomp spokes and black brass nipples.
It has been bombproof so far(i really love the Hadley hubs) But i would like to ride a
wider rim for heavy trailriding(using wider tires).

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Got 'em Hadleys

Okie, here's an update. I finally got my Hadleys after a very long wait. As most of you are aware, the new rear comes with 72pt engagement but I reckon this should affect the performance too much (noticeable difference that is).

Got my xm819 rims ready and DT comp spokes to go. Should be able to get my wheels built by the end of this week. Here's a nice picture of the Hadleys! :thumbsup:

Can't wait to try out my new set of wheels man!:D

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts