Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - sorry, I'm sure this isn't a new question, but I'm after some tyres to lighten my bike a bit. I run Intense 2.35" Dual Compoinds at the moment, which are 890g each - want somethign in the 650g bracket to replace them.

I'm considering the Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4s, just wondering if there's anything else in that ballpark? Looked at Continental Mountain Kings too, but not sure how they'd cope on slippery Irish mud & roots.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've been running the dual compound 26 x 2.3 Specialized Eskar tire for a few months now. The s-works version comes in at 650g according to their website. The more durable version is still pretty light too.

This tire likes to be leaned pretty far since the aggressive knobs are spaced out a little from the main tread and there can be a small "dead spot" in between but I got used to it.
The butyl bead seals awesome with a tubeless system and it feels like I can make any technical climbs if I have the balls/skills to do it.

Honestly I haven't tried that many tires but I think these are pretty solid and you will definitely notice a difference in weight!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Agreed! I have been using the S-Works Eskar for nearly four months and have not had one sub-par ride. These tires are quite possibly the lightest in class and most certainly hook up well. I have ridden a few other tires in-class, however these are by far my favorite. There is so much traction, I don't know what to do with all of it. Simply lean the bike over and the cornering knobs bite into the ground.

I ended up slicing my sidewall on a downhill course however, I am pretty sure the tire was defective to begin with. Thanks to the satisfaction guarantee, Specialized gave me a brand new set. Apparently the Eskar Control has a stronger sidewall, so I may eventually try those however the performance and weight savings of the S-Works is outstanding!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.