Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before the year is over I'll have my new bike. Currently Im riding a Trek 3700. Since I now love mountain biking, I've decided that my passion and skills have outgrown the entry level hardtail.

I'm looking to get an all mountain (trail?) bike with $2000 or less. I'd like about 5 inches of travel, hydro disc brakes, a good pedaling bike (pro-pedal?, spv?), strong frame, excellent warranty, and something with sub-30pound weight.

I am about 5'6" and 150 lbs btw.

bikes that I have been considering (all 2004's so far)

enduro comp - I could get this bike for abut 1600ish. I love the brakes, warranty, and excellent reviews.

enduro expert - I could get this one for about 2000ish. If I would get the comp I was thinking I might as well muster up a few more 100 bucks to get the Fox Fork and some xtr.

jamis xlt 1.0 - Great bike from what I've read. However this and the 2.0's seem to keep breaking frames? Could get this for under 1500, which would leave room for a nice HID, clothes, or some mods. Frame break example one two three

jamis xlt 2.0 - Manitou Swinger Air SPV 4-Way, minute 2:00 fork, and avid juicy sevens. However frame breakage could be a problem?

kona dawg - seems very reliable from what I've read. How does it pedal? How much does it weight? The derailers are only deore and LX for front/back though. This would go for about 1500?

I have a few months of research to do while I muster up the moolah. I'd like something that will have little to no glaring weaknesses. If it's one or two weakness, those are easily swapped out.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Hey, take a look at the Iron Horse Hollowpoint. I was considering a Jamis Dakar.. but the whole issure with breakage and the lack of good customer support really put me off. The Hollowpoint Expert has very similar specs to the Dakar xlt 1.0 for about the same price but in addition it has an awesome design (dw-link).

·
Dr. Pepper drinker
1,640 Posts
REI member or one in your area?

If you happen to have access to an REI within a reasonable driving distance, my suggestion would be to get a membership asap and wait on their 20% everything members sale that usually takes place a couple times a year (last one was Memorial Day). With that you could get a Yeti 575 which easily meets all your requirements for about $1800 (reg $2400). Possibly the best trailbike out there and certainly in the level of several $3000 rides. I think they also typically carry Cannondale and Marin if any of their models interest you.

·
Registered
939 Posts
i got the rocky mountain slayer 30..$1900 from lbs, probably on sale now. nice bike for the dough, exceptional frame, 5" travel, sweet looking and riding.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Try a Marin Mount Vision

I own a Marin Mount Vision and would have to suggest one for a trailbike in the $2K price range. The Mount Vision retails at $2500 but now that the '05 models are almost ready you should be able to get one for under $2K.

Here's the specs:

http://www.marinbikes.com/html/spec_04_mountvision.html

You won't find a more efficient suspension desgin (with may the Epic as an exception) yet able to handle the rough stuff as well. I also own a S-Works Epic but prefer the Mount Vision.

Also, there's two on E-Bay from EBikeStop that have a $1550 'buy it now' price.

Just my 2 cents worth!
Lance

·
wait a minute....
216 Posts
Giant vt2

they can be had for 1700 or so ,is a solid frame, has hayes hyd., minute one fork, and xt components. Plus there is a dealer in most towns,so you dont have to deal with broke stuff by telephone.its not fully active but its still a good ride,my son has an 04. i ride a five spot but the frame alone is your spending limit. but a fully active suspension climbs and rides better.

·
Registered
361 Posts
LBguy said:
kona dawg - seems very reliable from what I've read. How does it pedal? How much does it weight? The derailers are only deore and LX for front/back though. This would go for about 1500?
MSRP is $1699 this year I think, a slight increase. Its components definitely aren't as nice as some other bikes in the price range, but I have had a Dawg for over a year now I like it quite a lot. I have the 03 which is like the 05s except it has 4" travel, doesn't have the new propedal shocks, and a few minor differences in components. I had my rear shock PUSHed, replaced the Marz EXR with a Manitou Minute 1:00, replaced the Tiogas (probably worst thing on the bike), replaced the SDG saddle (probably 2nd worst on the bike). By shopping around a bit I've spent about $500 on all these upgrades. Now I prefer my Dawg to some $3000 bikes I've ridden like Jamis XLT 3.0.

The Dawg's very nimble and great on tight singletracks. The Dawg Deelux is around $2200 but bike shops might let you haggle it down to about $2000, or lower if you buy their leftover 04s. You get some nice improvements in the components including a Fox fork.

I think all Dawgs are around 30lbs. The Deelux and Primo are a tad under.

I've heard about the frame breaking on the XLTs. Otherwise, I think they definitely give you the most bike for your buck.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lighty_ said:
I've heard about the frame breaking on the XLTs. Otherwise, I think they definitely give you the most bike for your buck.
Yeah, that's what's stopping me from jumping on them.

The enduro's have had very good reviews on this site and I loved how they felt. Does anybody have any bad experiences or any 'constructive criticism' they can give the enduro?

I'ma look a bit more into the Vt2 also . . . .

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
I think the enduro is pretty solid, but I've heard its on the heavy side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm in the same market as yourself and I'm close to pulling the trigger on an Enduro. I hear everyone rave about the entire line. From what I understand it's heavy compared to XC bikes not as an all mountain bike. Lifetime warranty (marin has a 2 yr not sure about Kona). It's a Specialized, which is carried almost everywhere so you have real LBS to go to instead of calling a help line or driving somewhere.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i was looking for a similar bike, i looked seriously at the enduro and the Rocky mountain slayer, i ended up with the slayer mostly becuase it fit me a little better, the enduro is a very nice ride but it felt pretty stretched out for me, and i personally liked the rocky mountain design a lot better, i am very happy with my slayer 30, i would like to get a talas for it because i dont really like the exr supra it comes with, and the parts are not as nice as you can get for an enduro for the same price, but the frame is very solid, and it is an amazing ride, u might want to look at the slayer 50 for better components.
o yea mine is just about 30 lbs but it rides like a bike thats 5 lbs lighter :)
mine cost about 1600 on sale

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
I've been seeing a lot of good reviews for the K2 Lithium. It might not meet your weight requirements, though.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
I too was looking for a new bike, spending around 1500, a little less than what you can work with, but I went to supergo and bought an iron horse hollowpoint expert. I didnt buy it online, as all the problems that accompany that. But I am extremely happy with the bike and the ride so far, thanks to a few people's recommendations. I tried several other bikes before this one, happy hunting!

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
do you have suspension issues

fishercat said:
i got the rocky mountain slayer 30..$1900 from lbs, probably on sale now. nice bike for the dough, exceptional frame, 5" travel, sweet looking and riding.
Does your bike bob when you pedal or does the rear shock linkage compensate for htat like the 4-bar horst link?? I am not sure but I don't think the slayer 30 has the horst link in back...Correct me if I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
361 Posts
LBguy said:
I'm looking to get an all mountain (trail?) bike with $2000 or less. I'd like about 5 inches of travel, hydro disc brakes, a good pedaling bike (pro-pedal?, spv?), strong frame, excellent warranty, and something with sub-30pound weight.
You should also look at the Fisher Cake line. I think Cake 1dlx is around $1600-1700 and Cake 2dlx is just over $2000. I took a look when a LBS got them in. I wasn't that impressed, but they seem to fit what you want. I think they are both around 27-28lbs and have 5" of travel. Both have SPV shocks. I don't know about the frame and warranty. The frame looks to be on the XC side of the trailbike category, so not sure how much abuse it'll take.

I forget who said this, but it makes sense:
"Price, strength, and weight. Choose two."

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Vulcan said:
I think the enduro is pretty solid, but I've heard its on the heavy side.
The Enduros are probably the best bikes in that catagory....for the money. The '04 Enduro Expert weighs about 30.5 pounds. The comp weighs more, obviously.

Unless he needs a bike with coil shocks.....the Enduro is a great choice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Enduro Expert

I love my enduro. If you can pony up for the expert then get it. The TALAS for is worth the extra $$. If not then the comp should work pretty well with the manitou fork. The front and rear shocks have so many settings you can dial it in for almost any type for riding while you are still riding.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Yeti 575

It might stretch your budget just a little bit, but its a great pedaling bike, and with 5 up front and almost 6 up back, its all mountain trail, IMHO.

Light, as in the basic disc kit with hydros tipping the scales at 27-28. Should be able to get close to 2k.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts