Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Unaffiliated
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I get some suggestions on good all mountain shoes? Low flex (not zero flex), clipless compatible, and enough tread that if I put my foot down on some slickrock or have to walk a section that it's not like ice.

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
At Interbike 5-10 was showing off a new shoe what was in the prototype phase. It was SPD compatible with stealth rubber. This is the shoe I want and I am going to wait until it comes out to invest in new shoes. They said it should be out around December.

·
EDR
10,148 Posts
Lake MX165's.

Stiff enough for all day riding, Vibram sole for hike-a-biking, heavy but very durable and nicely made. They come in wide and 1/2 sizes I think.

·
EDR
10,148 Posts
deoreo said:
I've been thinking about getting a pair of the Specialized BG Trail 110 Shoes:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=40480&menuItemId=9309&eid=4927

But I like 3/4 cuff shoes. I currently use a 3/4 shoe with flats for freeride-ish stuff, and the trail 110's look cool for the trail bike with SPD's.

Those Lake MX165's look really nice, too.
The BG Trails shoes look interesting. I had 2 pair of BG comps and they are totally not made for hiking, downright dangerous on rocks. Probably a nice race shoe though...I don't race and the buckles were a weak point. Looks like the Trail's just have velcro- nice.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Danimal1 said:
These are the best shoes I have found so far. Carbon Sole, reinforced toe box, rubber sole that grips on rocks, and a neat shoe cover.

Downsides? Not cheap and they could be a bit wider.

http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/mantra.300084.9.aspx
I just picked up a pair of these on closeout at my local shop. Pretty cheap considering the regular price on them. I think they are the same next year as well, so I'm not sure why they are blowing them out.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
These are what I got last time: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/18...-Shoes/Mountain/Mavic-Razor-MTN-Shoe-2009.htm

I like them pretty well. They aren't as nice as the Diadoras I wore out but they aren't bad.

Places they did well include the composite sole with rubber lugged overmold. It has excellent traction and good stiffness. The straps are solid and the buckle hasn't caused any problems. They also breath well but probably are going to be a PITA any time I have to go through water.

They could improve by making the tongue of the shoe gusset like the Diadoras or a good hiking boot. That would keep more crud out of the shoe. Likewise the cut at the ankles is deeper than it needs to be. Fact of the matter is they could probably eliminate it all together and it wouldn't be noticed.

·
Registered
915 Posts
ridefruita said:
At Interbike 5-10 was showing off a new shoe what was in the prototype phase. It was SPD compatible with stealth rubber. This is the shoe I want and I am going to wait until it comes out to invest in new shoes. They said it should be out around December.

ditto.

They are Greg Minaar's shoes. Don't like the colour (orange) but definately interested in a spd 5.10 for use with platform SPD's

1 - 20 of 27 Posts