Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
College
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone can verify the claimed weights of these rims.

Alex Fd28 - 490
Alex dp20-490
Arrow XCL- 496

All of these rims are wide at about 27-28mm.

Secondly, are there anymore that should be added to the list?

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
more

Syncros DP25 and DS28.

See the other posts about them:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=64042&highlight=mountain+rims

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=78261&highlight=mountain+rims

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=66960&highlight=mountain+rims

b12yan88 said:
I was wondering if anyone can verify the claimed weights of these rims.

Alex Fd28 - 490
Alex dp20-490
Arrow XCL- 496

All of these rims are wide at about 27-28mm.

Secondly, are there anymore that should be added to the list?

·
College
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
2,069 Posts
b12yan88 said:
Yeah i have seen those already, and was wondering about these others. The alex rims sound nice, and i just wanted to confirm the weight and everything.
Weight Weenies lists the Arrow as 497g. Sorry I don't have the others. The XCLs do look pretty good :cool:

·
Ride on
639 Posts
Yeah, more info about the Alex FD28

The Alex FD28 looks like an interesting rim, but I can't find any info from anyone that has actually used them.

The Mavic XM719 looks similar, although it costs more and has machined sidewalls.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
the dp25 is pretty narrow. I'd say the inside of the rim is only ~18mm. This is from the Syncros rep, i did not measure them. I was all for this rim, but am goind with the xm819 instead.

·
Registered
599 Posts
gunfodder said:
The Alex FD28 looks like an interesting rim, but I can't find any info from anyone that has actually used them.

The Mavic XM719 looks similar, although it costs more and has machined sidewalls.
I had ordered a pair of FD28's from bikeroom - after waiting a month i called them up and was told they won't be available until july.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was pretty intrigued by them as well but could not find them anywhere and later found out that their weights (ALEX) in general are not really consistent. Besides, once I researched the Arrow rims and then found they were made in the US and the price is very good - OK I do miss black but the brushed alum is growing on me. They do look mean though.

NAte

·
College
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paco Finn said:
I was pretty intrigued by them as well but could not find them anywhere and later found out that their weights (ALEX) in general are not really consistent. Besides, once I researched the Arrow rims and then found they were made in the US and the price is very good - OK I do miss black but the brushed alum is growing on me. They do look mean though.

NAte
Are they as strong ? In general between two rims of the same weight the one with the higher profile should be stronger.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes and no. There is a trade off when having the same weight but different amounts of surface area (deeper). the material must get thinner. Where do most people damage the rim - the bead (square edge hit) or taco. If all your material is in the deep center section what is left for the rest of the rim. I am not going to say that x rim is better or worse but try to compare what is important to you and make your choice. It is extremely rare to have your cake and eat it too! But on the other hand I have seen very heavy rims consisdered weak because of poor design.

Nate

·
2,069 Posts
too bad

The DP25 looked pretty good, too. That's disappointing that the inner width is only about 18mm. That's why I asked in another post what the deal is when it comes to inner and outer widths. Rim manufacturers are cheating when they quote the outer width only.

Another downside to the DP25s are that they have pinned joints [thus the "P" designation] as opposed to the superior methods of sleeved [e.g., Syncros DS28] and welded [Mavic] joints.

Oh well...:rolleyes:

rensho said:
the dp25 is pretty narrow. I'd say the inside of the rim is only ~18mm. This is from the Syncros rep, i did not measure them. I was all for this rim, but am goind with the xm819 instead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.