Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jst came back frm a solo trail ride in Tokyo, Japan. Yup, we do ride mountainbikes in Tokyo:thumbsup:

Personally, I have always been with ONE bike, never had 2 or 3 bikes at the same time. From `mtb-look-bike` BRIDGESTONE back in elementary school.....

RALEIGH
TREK 7000
KONA cromoly hardtail
KONA stinky
COVE stifee fr
KONA scrap
COVE foreplay
BANSHEE Chaparral

... to INTENSE 6.6 which I ride today, always with ONE bike.
As you can see, I started xc biking but got into more gravity side where the word of FREERIDE best describes my taste. & now without any particular intention I ended up with `ALL MOUNTAIN` bike.
I go trail riding / ski resort DH on a same bike. 6.6 handles both very well. Just swap my crossmaxes to deemaxes with fatter tire & gear up with full face helmet & shin guard.

Jst wondered, do any of you have same notion as I am, having only ONE bike ? :p
I can afford to buy a hardtail or other bikes if I want, but never did so. I love my 6.6 !

cheers
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
hahaha, When I think of Tokyo all I see is a huge city.

tuff looking bike and very cool picture.

I like the idea of only one bike to maintain but I ended up keeping my hard tail after I bought the FS, I use it to get around town now and dont really worry so much about getting it stolen.

regards
Ray

freeryder said:
Jst came back frm a solo trail ride in Tokyo, Japan. Yup, we do ride mountainbikes in Tokyo:thumbsup:

Personally, I have always been with ONE bike, never had 2 or 3 bikes at the same time. From `mtb-look-bike` BRIDGESTONE back in elementary school.....

RALEIGH
TREK 7000
KONA cromoly hardtail
KONA stinky
COVE stifee fr
KONA scrap
COVE foreplay
BANSHEE Chaparral

... to INTENSE 6.6 which I ride today, always with ONE bike.
As you can see, I started xc biking but got into more gravity side where the word of FREERIDE best describes my taste. & now without any particular intention I ended up with `ALL MOUNTAIN` bike.
I go trail riding / ski resort DH on a same bike. 6.6 handles both very well. Just swap my crossmaxes to deemaxes with fatter tire & gear up with full face helmet & shin guard.

Jst wondered, do any of you have same notion as I am, having only ONE bike ? :p
I can afford to buy a hardtail or other bikes if I want, but never did so. I love my 6.6 !

cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
I used to be into the one bike thing, but then I started riding the ski resorts more and ended up with a dedicated DH bike. I have no regrets!
 

·
squish is good
Joined
·
4,933 Posts
"The one bike" IMO is a myth. There are way too many good bikes to declare a 1 is the best. Forget it, this thread is destined for endless arguments and no decisive conclusions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clutchman83, Im not intending to select the best ONE bike here. I jst wanted to share my thoughts.... I bet all those great bikes posted are the BEST bike for each of them.:thumbsup:
 

·
fuggansonofahowa
Joined
·
1,070 Posts
IMO, the "all mountain" category encompasses the one-for-all flavor of this thread. You can buy better bikes for light-trail/XC. You can also buy better bikes for FR/DH. You can't buy better bikes for both.
 

·
Grand Poobah
Joined
·
265 Posts
There have been times where I had only one bike. As you can see here, that is no longer the case.

You can absolutely get around on one bike. But it is also fun to ride lots of them :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
I do ride "the" one bike 90% of the time. I still kept my hardtail. It's a totally different feeling, it reminds me of the older days, I still enjoy riding it. But only on a special day, so yes -> one bike works :)
 

·
Five is right out
Joined
·
3,174 Posts
Is that Doremon?

A year ago I bought what was supposed to be the "one" bike, a 5.5" full susser. And then I came across $500 Ti hardtail frames in Beijing, and just *had* to buy one, so now I've got two :)

If that hadn't happened, I'd still be completely happy with the original bike though.
 

·
Scooterist
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
I`ve tried the one bike thing but I commute 30 miles to work (by bike) and my 6 incher doesnt like asphalt.

I cant ride my fancy hardtail in the snow and salt so ive now got three.

I wouldnt mind a propper roadbike though.... :skep:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
I don't know why some people have such a hard time grasping the whole "one bike" thing.
Some people get buy with one bike, so what? People always give the "one bike " theory so much beef. The point is the people who are riding the one bike aren't trying to win any cross country races, they aren't racing downhill, they aren't riding their bike to work, and they aren't dropping any 12" to flat hucks either. People that ride the "one" aren't trying to master any specific field, they're just riding it all. They're not letting their bike dictate where or what they ride, they just ride.
I wish I could have a bunch of bikes for all the types of riding, but I live in an apartment, and the wifey won't be having it.:nonod: I know one day she'll let up and I get another bike, so untill then I get by on my "one".

If you get the right bike you'll be surprised how much sh!t you can get away with.
 

·
Team NFI
Joined
·
5,303 Posts


My Chromag Stylus, built up dirtbag style, my one bike to do it all. I'm married with child so can't afford much in the way of expensive parts.

Besides am an old school rider who knows that the best bike is only as good as the rider operating it.
 

·
I like Monkeys
Joined
·
886 Posts
This is going to sound strange but for mountain biking I really don't have a big desire for another bike besides my Yeti 575. A lot of my friends ride singlespeeds on some rides but I still really only want my 575.

Here's the weird part, I'm also a roadie. I have a geared bike and a fixie/singlespeed that I just couldn't live without. I have to have both rides on the road.

I have thought about a cheap hardtail for learning a few tricks on our local pump track but I'm not really serious about it. For the first time since I began riding about 8 years ago I'm not lusting over any new bikes or parts. Well, except for that fixie frame a friend has for sale..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
Terminator Z said:
I don't know why some people have such a hard time grasping the whole "one bike" thing.
Some people get buy with one bike, so what? People always give the "one bike " theory so much beef. The point is the people who are riding the one bike aren't trying to win any cross country races, they aren't racing downhill, they aren't riding their bike to work, and they aren't dropping any 12" to flat hucks either. People that ride the "one" aren't trying to master any specific field, they're just riding it all. They're not letting their bike dictate where or what they ride, they just ride.
I wish I could have a bunch of bikes for all the types of riding, but I live in an apartment, and the wifey won't be having it.:nonod: I know one day she'll let up and I get another bike, so untill then I get by on my "one".

If you get the right bike you'll be surprised how much sh!t you can get away with.

agreed, i'm using a freeride hard tail for xc/am and even cycling around town, lookin for good food...
:D


Enduramil said:
My Chromag Stylus, built up dirtbag style, my one bike to do it all. I'm married with child so can't afford much in the way of expensive parts.

Besides am an old school rider who knows that the best bike is only as good as the rider operating it.

yes, the bike is only as good as the rider, just the past weekend, saw so many decked out bikes, with owners just cycling around the trail, and then sitting down and sipping their energy drinks and talkin to others bout feeling the diff in power transfer and flexiness of the cranks, between tune and xtr cranks...
:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,045 Posts
VaughnA said:
This is going to sound strange but for mountain biking I really don't have a big desire for another bike besides my Yeti 575. A lot of my friends ride singlespeeds on some rides but I still really only want my 575.
Currently, my 575 is my only bike. As you can see below, it's used for more than just trail riding. I won't lie and say that I don't want any more bikes (I tried to buy an On One 456 last year but On One was sold out), but for the time being the 575 works just fine.

 

·
Commit or eat sh!t
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
I found that I need 2 bikes: one a 5" travel bike for All Mountain which I use 80-90% of the time, and 2nd a 7-8" FR/DH bike for those intense trails, resorts, and jumps.

The problem with 1 bike setup is that you need to build it heavy with chain guides, etc. for the downhill, but that hurts you when doing regular runs and climbing.
 

·
Five is right out
Joined
·
3,174 Posts
It's funny that Vaughn and Pixelninja both have a 575 as the 'one bike'. My full suss is a 575, and I've been thinking of putting the hardtail into storage, replacing the DUC32 on the Yeti with a Revelation and just keeping one bike in the apartment :)
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top