Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Juding by the forum description, I ride all mountain. That being said, I was hoping to get some insights or opinions on building an AM HT 29er. I've already picked a complete (Redlinge Monocog Flight- steel, and setup as a 1X9), but I've heard some mumblings on other boards about the fragile nature of 29er hoops. Given my "clydesdale" build (6'3" & 240lbs+), in your opinion what would be the ideal wheelset build? Anything else you might recommend (brake rotor sizing changes, etc.)? I'm riding mainly XC trails, and/with LOTS of stunts (teeters, ramps, drops, A frames, etc.) and some minor DH...

Here's a link to the SS version of the bike. 1X9 is due out in a few months...
http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/monocog-flight-29er.html

Thanks in advance,
Sojourner

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Check the 29er forum

If you haven't already done so, I would ask the same question in the 29er forum. There are some excellent 29er resources in that forum, they know the nuances of the frames, forks and wheelsets. My guess is that someone there will definitely point you in the right direction.

Bob

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
how much of the ramps and drops are you gonna be riding? how big?

the stock monocog wheelset isn't that bad, but under your weight won't be the best for serious DH/FR style riding. not because it's 29er, but because it's an XC wheelset. you can now get rhyno lites in 29er version, that may be better suited to you. i also recommend 185mm rotors on the brakes.

that said, i love my 29er for XC stuff, but the general geometery/feel of these bikes is very much what i'd call "trail riding" or (as these allmountain guys would say) XC. not that it can't be done...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of my time will be on local SW Ohio and Northern Kentucky trails (XC), with some moderate downhill (that's lowercase dh- nothing major or requiring a chairlift!). I am currently designing/test-building some "North Shore" type stunts to either mess around with at my home, or to present to the local trail authority/responsible group for inclusion into our existing trail systems.

As for size, I've got a wife and two kids so I'm not going to be building anything completely ridiculous (height wise). Nothing harder on the components than say, a 5 foot drop to flat (not that I relish a 5' D2F!). I'm not looking to ruin good trails by messing with the flow too much, just tweaking the adrenaline factor by a point or two... ;)

Again, I'm in the design/building stages right now. I just want to make sure that when the opportunity presents itself my bike can handle the vast majority of the situations I will be putting myself in.

-Sojo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.