Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I started riding recently on a Trek 3700 and I'm going with a bigger hardtail now. I wasn't satisfied with the 3700 for probably rather obvious reasons. Now I am looking at moving up and I have a few things in mind. Keep in mind I am looking to ride All Mountain...meaning tougher than cross country, but not flying down hills and leaping off 10 foot drops. Ya know what I'm sayin'? I'm 17, about 5'8" and weigh 130 lbs on an average day. I already have a Camelback Hawg for water and carrying gear, an Azonic full-face helmet, full finger gloves, a pair of 661 ridin' shoes, and some Crank Brothers Smarty clipless pedals. My budget is under 600 dollars...maybe I can splurge to a little over 600 depending on the deal. The bikes I have in mind are the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc, Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc, Kona Blast, or a Kona Shred if I can get it under 600 dollars. Out of those bikes what would you suggest? I checked out the Ibex Alpine series but the 550 that I was looking at was sold out.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
109 Posts
black hills tj said:
Hey Everyone,

I started riding recently on a Trek 3700 and I'm going with a bigger hardtail now. I wasn't satisfied with the 3700 for probably rather obvious reasons. Now I am looking at moving up and I have a few things in mind. Keep in mind I am looking to ride All Mountain...meaning tougher than cross country, but not flying down hills and leaping off 10 foot drops. Ya know what I'm sayin'? I'm 17, about 5'8" and weigh 130 lbs on an average day. I already have a Camelback Hawg for water and carrying gear, an Azonic full-face helmet, full finger gloves, a pair of 661 ridin' shoes, and some Crank Brothers Smarty clipless pedals. My budget is under 600 dollars...maybe I can splurge to a little over 600 depending on the deal. The bikes I have in mind are the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc, Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc, Kona Blast, or a Kona Shred if I can get it under 600 dollars. Out of those bikes what would you suggest? I checked out the Ibex Alpine series but the 550 that I was looking at was sold out.

Thanks,

Mike

Specialized Rockhopper Disc is somewhere under 600 if I'm not mistaken take a look at it and ride it, then ride the Hardrock....you'll definitely feel the difference.;)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looked at the Rockhopper on Spec's website and their msrp looks like its just under 700? :(

What differences are between the Rockhopper and the Hardrock?

·
Registered
109 Posts
black hills tj said:
Any other opinions?

Are you looking at a 2007 Hardrock or 2006? 2007 Hardrock comp Disc should be somewhere around $549 and 2007 Rockhopper Disc is $ 599. Difference? Mainly the frames and forks, Hopper hasa much better fork ,frame is somehow similar a bit better on the hopper and lighter I guess......but you should try it , that's what sells the bike not the components especially when they are so close in range....:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Go for a haro escape. the frame is super beefy, and the fork on it is bigger and better than either the rockhopper or the hardrock. it should be around 600.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Go for a haro escape. the frame is super beefy, and the fork on it is bigger and better than either the rockhopper or the hardrock. it should be around 600.

·
Registered
131 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts