Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
a dad
Joined
·
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all right, trying to plan a summer vacation (probably july so this rules out some spots)...besides BC, where should we go...heading out of denver for about 2 weeks...prefer technical riding at all times...thanks for the help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
I spent a week riding in the black hills of south dakota and it was amazing. You may be against the tour guide thing but i'd recomend http://www.westernspirit.com/ I went the tour route because I knew I wouldn't have to worry about logistics and I could focus on what I came to do which was ride.
 

·
Gittyup!
Joined
·
528 Posts
When you say "besides BC", are you talkin' the whole of BC, or just Whistler?

billybobzia said:
all right, trying to plan a summer vacation (probably july so this rules out some spots)...besides BC, where should we go...heading out of denver for about 2 weeks...prefer technical riding at all times...thanks for the help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
SLinBend said:
When you say "besides BC", are you talkin' the whole of BC, or just Whistler?
Why not BC..as it has some of the best riding out there for freeriding....Fernie,Nelson,Rossland,Panorama...so much. Squamish and of course Whistler/North shore.....just wondering why not?
 

·
a dad
Joined
·
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
konahottie_311 said:
Why not BC..as it has some of the best riding out there for freeriding....Fernie,Nelson,Rossland,Panorama...so much. Squamish and of course Whistler/North shore.....just wondering why not?
thats probably where we will end up, but was hoping to find some places along the way from colorado... but maybe we will just make it to bc as fast as possible....
 

·
Time is not a road.
Joined
·
4,150 Posts
I've heard that Park City is just awesome. The city has integrated singletrack into its development plan. There's miles of it.

Jackson, WY has some good riding and Sun Vally, ID is supposed to be nice, too. Those places are between here (I'm in Loveland) and there, or they could be depending on how you drive.

There's always Gooseberry, White Rim, Tahoe, Downiville, Big Bear (closed?), Mammoth or in the East, Syllamo and Womble in Arkansas (but July is hot as hell!). Angel Fire in NM (and Taos, too), Flagstaff, AZ, Boulder Canyon, NV (also hot as all get out) then the old standbys - Aspen, Steamboat Springs, Salida, Crested Butte and Durango.
 

·
a dad
Joined
·
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chad1433 said:
I've heard that Park City is just awesome. The city has integrated singletrack into its development plan. There's miles of it.

Jackson, WY has some good riding and Sun Vally, ID is supposed to be nice, too. Those places are between here (I'm in Loveland) and there, or they could be depending on how you drive.

There's always Gooseberry, White Rim, Tahoe, Downiville, Big Bear (closed?), Mammoth or in the East, Syllamo and Womble in Arkansas (but July is hot as hell!). Angel Fire in NM (and Taos, too), Flagstaff, AZ, Boulder Canyon, NV (also hot as all get out) then the old standbys - Aspen, Steamboat Springs, Salida, Crested Butte and Durango.
i would really like to check out the st george area, just that the timing sucks as it will be very hot....
 

·
Gittyup!
Joined
·
528 Posts
If you're traveling by car from CO and you pass through Oregon, you may want to check out Post Canyon. Pretty sweet trails there. And if you go to Vancouver Island, check out Hartland Mnt Bike park. Ritcheous stuff there that'll really make you pucker up!

billybobzia said:
thats probably where we will end up, but was hoping to find some places along the way from colorado... but maybe we will just make it to bc as fast as possible....
 

·
Just roll it......
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
Areas in BC

Billybobzia,

If you're looking for tech singletrack and good freeride, then heading to BC is one of the obvious choices as you mention. You could do several days in the Nelson, Rossland or Fernie areas. Then head West towards Penticton/Kelowna or Kamloops and then further west to ride in Vancouver, Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton.

Personally, if I were doing that trip, I'd head to Nelson (4 or 5 days), 2 in Penticton or Kelowna (breaking up the drive) and the rest in Vancouver/Whistler. I've yet to ride Nelson (this summer it will happen), but everyone I know in Canada says Nelson is a must with burly XC (canuck style xc) and beautiful FR stuff. I warn you though that the riding up north will make you want to emigrate.... ;)

On the drive up, you could swing by a new resort in Idaho called Tamarack. They just started building trails the last year or two, but they may have more developed next year. It's not too far from the town of McCall, so it may be worth investigating. Also, there's Silver Mountain which is outside of Kellogg and they have lift accessed stuff in the summer as well.....

On another note, there's always Tahoe. You've got Northstar for lift accessed riding and some amazing trails and scenery all around the lake.

Chers,
EBX
 

·
Don't worry, be happy!
Joined
·
8,141 Posts
ebxtreme said:
Billybobzia,

If you're looking for tech singletrack and good freeride, then heading to BC is one of the obvious choices as you mention. You could do several days in the Nelson, Rossland or Fernie areas. Then head West towards Penticton/Kelowna or Kamloops and then further west to ride in Vancouver, Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton.

Personally, if I were doing that trip, I'd head to Nelson (4 or 5 days), 2 in Penticton or Kelowna (breaking up the drive) and the rest in Vancouver/Whistler. I've yet to ride Nelson (this summer it will happen), but everyone I know in Canada says Nelson is a must with burly XC (canuck style xc) and beautiful FR stuff. I warn you though that the riding up north will make you want to emigrate.... ;)

On the drive up, you could swing by a new resort in Idaho called Tamarack. They just started building trails the last year or two, but they may have more developed next year. It's not too far from the town of McCall, so it may be worth investigating. Also, there's Silver Mountain which is outside of Kellogg and they have lift accessed stuff in the summer as well.....

On another note, there's always Tahoe. You've got Northstar for lift accessed riding and some amazing trails and scenery all around the lake.

Chers,
EBX
don't forget Rossland BC , the seven summits trail is supposed to just be frickin awesome. There's maps and things in the western Canada forum.
McCall riding is a lot more technical than Sun Valley, and it's very scenic too.
 

·
a dad
Joined
·
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the advice, keep it coming...
 

·
Tree Hugger
Joined
·
2,946 Posts
billybobzia said:
all right, trying to plan a summer vacation (probably july so this rules out some spots)...besides BC, where should we go...heading out of denver for about 2 weeks...prefer technical riding at all times...thanks for the help
Come to Oakridge, Oregon for some of the best trail riding around.

http://www.mtbikeoregon.com/

August 18-20, 2006

From the MTB Oregon website:
Three full days of unequalled single-track riding will leave you both exhausted and replenished. Each day will offer fully supported ride options that leave from camp. The campground is on over nine acres along the bank of the Willamette River. Combine nearly 500 miles of singletrack, 100's of cyclists, two days of camping, three squares/day, Fat Tire Beer Garden and tons of demo bikes.

Clinics, mechanics, massage, demo bikes and gear, vendors, outdoor movies, a "north shore" trials course, local artisans and games right at camp. Three local, delicious, farm-fresh meals a day plus awardwinning microbrews in our beer garden will keep riders fueled. Each day offers intermediate and advanced ride options, or a different option altogether.

Yes, we take care of it all. In fact, a 2005 rider said, "This is the best. We come down to this gorgeous place and do what we like to do: ride killer trails with our friends. And you guys take care of the rest - good food, music, a place to sleep and beer. It's perfect."

Mt Bike Oregon is a totally unique event - "I have been in the business for a long time and I have never heard of an event like this", says River City Bicycles owner Dave Guettler. "We have incredible buy-in from our manufacturers. Even though it is during our busiest season, it was just too cool to pass up."

To get a sense of what Guettler means, consider the manufacturers that will be on-site offering free demos: Cannondale, Specialized, Mountain Cycle, Giant, Rocky Mountain, and more.
 

·
Just roll it......
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
formica said:
don't forget Rossland BC , the seven summits trail is supposed to just be frickin awesome. There's maps and things in the western Canada forum.
Yeah, that was a major oversight, Formica.

Billybobzia, Rossland is another place I'll be hitting in June. I think for someone traveling from Colorado, that combined with Nelson would be a worthy stop in Eastern BC on your way to Whistler, etc. The seven summits trail is supposedly the bees knees and Red Resort has lift access stuff too. A great blend of buly/epic Canuck XC and pure fr stuff.

EB
 

·
Hisforever
Joined
·
1,863 Posts
BC is the ultimate in technical/FR riding. I have been fortunate to have a taste and wont be able to emigrate but just want more more more!!!!! (thanks to EB)


Its the best riding in the world so far in my opinion. It is that good. Listen to what EB and Formica, they are steering you 100% in the right direction.

Have fun.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top