Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been planning and plotting for over a year on a new bike. Most of the bikes I was considering were “Boutique” brands so I would not be able to test ride them, so I have relied heavily on this site and forum to make my decision. I looked at a lot of great bikes but finally got it down to one, The One. I was just getting ready to order the frame and was poking around on their website when I noticed that the frames were made in Asia. This is something that I had not considered, I guess I assumed it was American made. Should it matter? It does bother me on some level, I was not expecting all of the components to be domestic but for some reason it bothers me that the frame is not. At least it has made me take a step back and look at the other frames I discounted for one reason or another and make my decision again. What is your opinion?
Philhttps://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/mad2.gif

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
If i'm getting an asian made frame, I'd expect some kind of discount to reflect the money the company saved by outsourcing their labor, if its not any cheaper then there are more than enough american made alternatives.

·
Registered
778 Posts
That wouldn't stop me from getting a Canfield. A number of factories in Taiwan have arguably better manufacturing than their American competitors anyways. The quality should not be a concern and the Canfields strike me as beautifully designed bikes. Go for it!

·
Ride and Smile
736 Posts
If it matters to you, then it matters and you should consider it. I'm glad Canfield Brothers are here and think they will do good things for mountain biking. I am happy to buy from them. And I can't wait til my One is built.

·
Dawgwalker
209 Posts
Made in Asia

The economic reality is that to survive many companies must build in Asia. I just bought a Transition Covert, designed in Washington state, built in Taiwan. I was in Santa Cruz looking for the factory. There was none. I have Titus that has "Handmade in America" on the frame but it is a 2002. I go by the company reputation not country of origin.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
There was a time when Made in Asia was a negative, but these days some of their factories/ assembly process is downright amazing (not to mention efficient). A popular trend of late is designing bikes here in the USA then having Asian factories do the production to keep prices down. I personally wouldn't let it bother me but when it comes to this kind of asking price, to each his own.

·
Registered
784 Posts
slowrider said:
If you do well enough to afford a high end frame it's nice to have some countrymen making a living wage from making them, especially when his income tax and purchases sales tax etc help pay down the 700 billion dollar stimulas debt.
Amen to that! If your spending enough for a high end frame, might as well ensure that the American worker benefits from it. The cost of the high end frame is more justified with higher labor / production cost if it is made here in the USA than if it is made by cheap labor in Asia. The quality of Asian made frames may have improved / caught up / even might have exceeded in some cases our homeland made frames but at least both Joe the plumber and six pack is able to sustain his American dream.

·
beautiful noise...
321 Posts
slowrider said:
If you do well enough to afford a high end frame it's nice to have some countrymen making a living wage from making them, especially when his income tax and purchases sales tax etc help pay down the 700 billion dollar stimulas debt.
Your fork, rear shock parts, crank & BB, rims (likely), spokes, brakes, tires, chain, derailleurs, cassette, stem (likely), cables, saddle, seat post, pedals, pivot bearings, grips, shifters, headset spacers, seat post clamp, cycle computer and (most likely) your bars were all produced over-seas with most of them coming from either Taiwan or China. The aluminum your frame is made out of most likely came from India. Can't tell what the hubs are so I can't comment. Fortunately it appears you have a CK headset which just so happens to be made down the street from my house in good old Portland, OR out of recycled aluminum sourced right here in the USA. Thanks for your $125 of patriotism :thumbsup:

PS: to the OP; Canfield Bros make some very nice frames.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It's a brave new world... they call it "globalisation". Funnily enough, I wrote an MBA dissertation on the subject of globalisation and how low skilled work is centralised in low cost countries vs higher skilled employees remaining closer to the customer base...

The dissertation was focussed on large corporate companies, rather than bike companies. However, interesting results.

There are so many benefits for the bike industry in outsourcing their work around the world. Although I referred to low skilled work - I'm certainly not degrading what they do. (I certainly can't weld a frame). The upshot is that the 'low-skilled' frame welder actually can provide a fantastic job, but at a much lower cost. Although your local economy may not directly benefit (e.g. Joe the Plumber), in the long run the bike company can afford to compete on a global arena (therefore keeping local employees employed and generate revenue in your local country).

I say go for it... I have ridden many frames built in the far-east. (For example, I'm a huge fan of Orange bikes from the UK, however they outsource to the far-east and still retain their premium/high-quality reputation).

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
And another thing......to consider.

Yea, it will cost the USA builder A LOT more to build a frame in the US due to high insurance costs, rent, etc.. At the end of the day he will not make as much profit as you think even though you are paying a high premium for your frames. The companies like Santa Cruz, Titus, etc are making a lot more and also can provide better warranties if you ever need it.

The guys making smaller profit may not be around in the future due to higher fixed costs.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
If I could I would

But most things are unavailable. King headset, Hadley hubs, Old Bontrager maveric rims, DT spokes, old control tec post, Frog pedals and the old Turner frame which add a hell of a lot more that $125 your math came up with; Then we can talk about my Foes FXR Curnut shock with King hubs/ headset Fox 36 fork, Thompson post, or my other 6" Turner, or my Cannondale 1fg. Why are you lobying AGAINST people supporting whats left of the American bike industry? Is there something wrong with it? You cannot buy a bike without buying chinese/Tiawanese parts, so it's impossible not to support Tiawan and chinas industry but you can buy one without supporting the US industry.
While my $$ is a drop in the bucket OUR money can add up, and this country givesmore money to the rest of the world through charity, humanitarian aid and support of the UN than any other country, and if we don't keep some industry around that will become harder and harder.
I also believe that Turner, Foes,Ventana and a ton of smaller builders build the best in the world and still cost less than Ibis etc. parts
guyplaysbass said:
Your fork, rear shock parts, crank & BB, rims (likely), spokes, brakes, tires, chain, derailleurs, cassette, stem (likely), cables, saddle, seat post, pedals, pivot bearings, grips, shifters, headset spacers, seat post clamp, cycle computer and (most likely) your bars were all produced over-seas with most of them coming from either Taiwan or China. The aluminum your frame is made out of most likely came from India. Can't tell what the hubs are so I can't comment. Fortunately it appears you have a CK headset which just so happens to be made down the street from my house in good old Portland, OR out of recycled aluminum sourced right here in the USA. Thanks for your $125 of patriotism :thumbsup:

PS: to the OP; Canfield Bros make some very nice frames.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
axolotl said:
If it matters to you, then it matters ....
The question is: why does it matter.

If you are worried about quality, don't worry. Most good frames with non-heart-attack price tags are welded in Taiwan. I have a couple (Banshee and Yeti).

If it is a matter of principle or patriotism, then it is a different thing and you will pay more.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you want me to buy American, then get an American company to sell at the same price with the same or better quality. I will not pay more for the same or inferior product and doing so would only be a disservice to the American economy in the long run. If the American companies want to stay in business and pull at your heartstrings they better learn how to compete in an open market.

·
my church is the woods
1,066 Posts
I for one, refuse to buy anything unless it's made on Earth, by humans or human engineered technology. (although transistors were developed by Bell Labs using reverse alien roswell crash recovered technology)
That includes my Trek bike: made on earth, designed on human (and alien) developed computer technology, and sold by humans. If I want to get patriotic, I will "pedal for peace" which has no nationalism or borders, and peace IS patriotic.

·
Ride and Smile
736 Posts
moonraker said:
I for one, refuse to buy anything unless it's made on Earth, by humans or human engineered technology. (although transistors were developed by Bell Labs using reverse alien roswell crash recovered technology)
That includes my Trek bike: made on earth, designed on human (and alien) developed computer technology, and sold by humans. If I want to get patriotic, I will "pedal for peace" which has no nationalism or borders, and peace IS patriotic.
Thank you, this thread needs more humor. Cause it's gotten silly. :crazy: :incazzato: :eek:ut: :yawn: :yesnod: :yesnod: :prft: :prft:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.