Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forums and used search and still can't find exactly what I'm looking for. What is the best all mountain wheel for argressive xc/am. I am 280 lbs and have destroyed several xc wheels. I am looking to spend no more than $ 700.00 on the wheel set. The help would be appreciated. Also what wheels to stay away from.

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
try a thread search....plenty of threads on this subject.

I dig my DT Swiss rims.

look for DT Swiss 5.1D

They're AWESOME!! I'm 6'6" 260+ with gear and LOVIN my 5.1ds. Super stiff and pretty bombproof.

or 6.1D They'll take even more abuse.

Be careful what you pick as the bigger the rim, the larger the limit on the smaller tire size.
Not that any clyde should be riding 1.9 tires. :eek:

I'm a 2.35 tire guy. My bike can handle up to 2.5.

Hubs Hadly or Chris King (threads on that too).

Best of luck!
Erik

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
mark_8408 said:
What is the best all mountain wheel for argressive xc/am. I am 280 lbs and have destroyed several xc wheels. I am looking to spend no more than $ 700.00 on the wheel set.
I'm close to your size and just purchased a set of these for my RFX. I haven't ridden them yet. Mavic 823s laced to DT Swiss FR hubs (older version of the DT Swiss 440 hub). They're not too heavy. Well, I'll just say that they're lighter than the stock Alex rims/Deore hubs wheelset that come on my Kona Hoss. Tubeless capable, I'm still undecided whether I'm gonna go tubeless right away or not. They come with quick release axles but can be converted to thru-axles with kits available from DT Swiss (which I'm doing).

My riding is mostly what you've described, with a little FR goofing around, some urban stuff and a little downhilling. I'm confident that these wheels will serve me well. And they're a great deal at under $400 for what would be a $800 wheelset if you had them built up from scratch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cheap good wheels

I'm 285+ and have no problem at all with my Azonic Outlaw wheelset. I ride in New England with all these rocks and roots and other than some scratches, these work great.
They are also convertable( QR or 20/12mm thru axle) and 36 spokes for the big guys and under 300 bucks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
All of the affore mentioned wheels are good choices. You can also look at Transition bikes new Revolution wheelset. It comes on all their freeride bikes, and is actually reasonably light for its purpose. I think they sell for $290. They dont have the interchangeable front hub, like the Outlaw does though.

·
Old Fart
203 Posts
Try Daves Speed Dreams

mark_8408 said:
I have searched the forums and used search and still can't find exactly what I'm looking for. What is the best all mountain wheel for argressive xc/am. I am 280 lbs and have destroyed several xc wheels. I am looking to spend no more than $ 700.00 on the wheel set. The help would be appreciated. Also what wheels to stay away from.
If you are willing to spend the $$$ you can get a custom built set of Daves Speedream wheels. http://www.speeddream.com/mountain_disc.php I bought a set last year and love them. Dave is great to work with, check his reviews on this site.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I've been riding the SUN mammoth rim for a while. I just laced a new one up because the brake pads were caving in the sidewalls. I'm very hard on equipment and have broken just about everything you can think of including my share of bones. This has been the only rim that has stood up to my abuse without failure. The concaving of the sidewalls is a common wear over time issue with a non disc brake setup. They also offer disc versions as well.

Good luck,

-Scott

J.F.R.... just ride

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have been running a set of Industry Nines and I could not be happier. After talking to them about my size and riding style I bought the All Mountain wheelset and they have been great.

I just ordered an Enduro wheelset from them for my trailbike.

I previously had Hadley 36 hole hubs laced to Mavic 823's and they were great, but felt like boat anchors compared to both the Industry Nine wheelsets. If you don't go with Industry Nine, then a set of Hadley or DT Swiss hubs laced to DT Swiss 5.1d's would be a great setup and way lighter than the Mavic 823 rims. Also the DT Swiss EX1750 wheelset would be a great option.

They are extremely stiff and have remained perfectly aligned after a good hard year of constant abuse.

I know that they are priced higher than your stated budget, but you can't get any higher on the bling scale than the I 9's.

Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.