Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm one of those unfortunate guys who have to stretch their budget as much as possible. I'm rideless now and I'm looking forward to build a bike if I find a good frame for under 500 bucks.

I want an all mountain frame with 5" travel (no more, no less) at a max price tag of US$500.

Is there anything like that??? New??

·
Registered
681 Posts
Okay first of all for a budget of $500 I would HIGHLY recommend that you look at slightly used frames. You are going to end up with a much wider selection in the Marketplace here or on eBay. Some of these frames have seen very little use. With that said, I know some people prefer to buy used so this is the best i can come up with:

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=24414&lsubcat_id=1818&lcat_id=7604&referpage=

It is a 2004 Weyless XP from supergo. I have actually heard good things about it. It even comes with a 5th Element Air shock and a seatpost. It is barely over your budget at $529, but like I said....it has a seatpost :).

·
Registered
571 Posts
Kinda burly, but the KHS FR2000 with the Romic is available for $499 from Wheelworld.

KHS has it built up to 36 pounds, so they claim. I am sure you can get it to 31-ish pounds if you build it less burly with 6" rotors and a lighter fork etc...

It's got adjustable 4-5-6 inches of travel. I test rode one and liked the ride. Has a slightly longer wheelbase and can feel sluggish in tight corners. But other than that it was good. Pedals well I thought and I had it in the longer 6 inch setting.

If you can do without the Romic, there is an eBay seller who is selling the same frame with a Fox coil for $299. The Fox sprung version is just $299 on eBay and usually no one bids on it and it's the FR1500 frame.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that this bike has tall standover because of the way the top tube is bent, which is an upward bend instead of a typical downward dipping bend. Check the KHS site for geo to make sure you fit.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
hell, i got an 18" Diamondback XTS-2 listed in the classifieds right now...

http://marketplace.consumerreview.c...sults_format=long&db_id=74118&query=retrieval

And you can have the whole bike for $550US+S&H and its a 5" travel all-mountain/light freeride setup. 18 speeds, bashring, 5" front / 4.7" (well, adjustable for 60 to 120mm), v-brakes, kevlar tires, etc. I'll also be putting my 18.5" Giant Warp DS3 up on the classifieds in a few days probably, and with a decent air shock in back (I've run it with a Sid XC) its light enough (the frame) that you can do the full bike in the mid 27 pound range fairly easily. Pickup a used Fox Float on ebay, send it to push industries to get it revalved for anti-bob performance, and presto, a reliable single-pivot all-mountain frame for less than a new one. I may even build it up and post it as a full bike. Haven't decided yet.

Otherwise the best on the 'new' all mountain frame is likely to be the XP while its on sale, but again, just the frame versus what you can get in full bikes if you search around.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
NOS Yeti...

Warp2003 said:
I'm one of those unfortunate guys who have to stretch their budget as much as possible. I'm rideless now and I'm looking forward to build a bike if I find a good frame for under 500 bucks.

I want an all mountain frame with 5" travel (no more, no less) at a max price tag of US$500.

Is there anything like that??? New??
Click here to see the MTBR add.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.